TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hello !

I'm going to LA the first week of September. It'll be my first time in MM and my first time in the US ever. So of course I've got the eternal question... when to go ?

I'll land late on Friday 31th August and I'll leave LA on 7th Sept (Vegas baby!). I was hoping to visit on Tuesday or Wednesday just after the Labor Day but... it's closed ?!!? why the f** such a big park close in early September weekdays ? isn't it suppose to have still hot weather at that time ?

So I've left for choice: Sunday 2nd or Monday of Labor Day 3rd... any advice ?

Riding coaster on weekend and holiday is my absolute nightmare like most of you I guess.

Any local can give me advice for this crucial choice ?

Do I absolutely need a Flash Pass ? Gold or Plat ? Is the Gold Flash Pass allowing you to ride as many time as you want or only one time each coaster ?

PS: sorry I didn't introduce myself, I'm reading the forum for a long time but it's my first post... I've just freaked out while organizing my travel so I've post in a rush.

I'm Eluc from Switzerland. Electrical Engineer in railway technologies (like coaster but a little more flat basically) maybe looking foreword to to the coaster industry in the future. Member of ECC, Parc Passion and IAAPA YP.

Hello !

I'm going to LA the first week of September. It'll be my first time in MM and my first time in the US ever. So of course I've got the eternal question... when to go ?

I'll land late on Friday 31th August and I'll leave LA on 7th Sept (Vegas baby!). I was hoping to visit on Tuesday or Wednesday just after the Labor Day but... it's closed ?!!? why the f** such a big park close in early September weekdays ? isn't it suppose to have still hot weather at that time ?

Riding coaster on weekend and holiday is my absolute nightmare like most of you I guess.

Do I absolutely need a Flash Pass ? Gold or Plat ? Is the Gold Flash Pass allowing you to ride as many time as you want or only one time each coaster ?

PS: sorry I didn't introduce myself, I'm reading the forum for a long time but it's my first post... I've just freaked out while organizing my travel so I've post in a rush.

I'm Eluc from Switzerland. Electrical Engineer in railway technologies (like coaster but a little more flat basically) maybe looking foreword to to the coaster industry in the future. Member of ECC, Parc Passion and IAAPA YP.

The Flash Pass is good all day as many times as you want on all coasters (Except X2 which is $10 per line skip, and I hear LL and Green Lantern are Platinum Flash Pass Only) but on those two days I doubt you will really need it unless there's some special event. The last time I went to the park on a September weekday everything other than X2 and Tatsu were a complete walk-on the entire day. If you get there and its really busy you can always buy a flash pass at the park.

Hello !

If I had to pick between the two days I would pick Monday. Most kids are already back in school or will be starting the following day. Anyone on vacation for the 3 day holiday will be heading home. I would think that crowds will thin out later in the day. Just my opinion, no hard facts.

I've decided not to get pumped for this "Full Throttle project". I was at first, but then it hit me "Worlds largest Vertical Loop", it seems the mountain only cares about inversions, it already has 30+. This saddens me . Now if it has a good twisty layout, like I305/Mav. This will be a must for 2013/14

Quick question. If you are delayed at the top of Lex, do any operators let guests know through the speakers at the top of the tower, or do you just suddenly drop without notice? I should be visiting the park in September and look forward to getting on the new ride but being stuck up there freaks me out a bit.

Yes they do. Yesterday they said "Attention, you will be dropping momentarily. Be ready to drop! Then after another 45 seconds or so, it dropped randomly and actually scared me!

^^ It's a $15 up charge for X2 (only available on Gold and Platinum, and $15 for Lex Luthor (Platinum only). Green Lantern is now available for ALL Flash Pass levels with no up charge, which is really clogging the line lately.

And I would recommend Monday, the 3rd to go. Usually the actual day of the holiday is much emptier than the preceding weekend. Especially now since most of the kids will be back in school by then. I went on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and my longest wait was 40 minutes for Goliath. So you probably won't need a Flash Pass.

I also saw Bonnie Rabjohn out talking to guests this morning just after opening. It seemed very welcoming and friendly to enter the park this morning! She was with Sue Carpenter.

Overall great day!

Wow the "Ice Queen" actually speaking with the "commoners." Maybe the end of time is near!

Quick question. If you are delayed at the top of Lex, do any operators let guests know through the speakers at the top of the tower, or do you just suddenly drop without notice? I should be visiting the park in September and look forward to getting on the new ride but being stuck up there freaks me out a bit.

Yes they do. Yesterday they said "Attention, you will be dropping momentarily. Be ready to drop! Then after another 45 seconds or so, it dropped randomly and actually scared me!

That would still scare the crap out of me. The worst part about drop towers to me is the anticipation - not knowing what "soon" means would be terrible! (But I'd love it once I was on the ground and would be ready to go again.)

Edited by coasterfreak101

I've decided not to get pumped for this "Full Throttle project". I was at first, but then it hit me "Worlds largest Vertical Loop", it seems the mountain only cares about inversions, it already has 30+. This saddens me . Now if it has a good twisty layout, like I305/Mav. This will be a must for 2013/14

All rumours thus far. Truthfully, no ones knows anything about this ride yet. What if the loop is like the inverted loop on Superman (SFDK) ?

It's so unfair to already be judging a ride before it's even announced.

I can see where we're headed. "Ugh, I'm not looking forward to whatever "park A" builds in 2016, it's going to suck!

Hi! I have been following this "discussion" for over half a year but never posted. While I live in northern california, I come down to SFMM all of the time. I am going next monday, and was wondering if this was the best day of the week to go. I was thinking of going to LL:DOD first, use the single rider line, and then head over towards batman and just go around the park that way. Every other time I have been here, I have gotten to the park right when it opened, and booked it to X2, then Tatsu. Which way should I do it this time? Should i go on monday?

I don't know how many times I've had to say this, but just because it has inversions, that doesn't mean it can't have airtime. You can have both!

Hi! I have been following this "discussion" for over half a year but never posted. While I live in northern california, I come down to SFMM all of the time. I am going next monday, and was wondering if this was the best day of the week to go. I was thinking of going to LL:DOD first, use the single rider line, and then head over towards batman and just go around the park that way. Every other time I have been here, I have gotten to the park right when it opened, and booked it to X2, then Tatsu. Which way should I do it this time? Should i go on monday?

If you're going to use the single rider line, there's no point in going there first. If I'm not mistaken, the single rider line is not very long. (I could be wrong though, having never been on LL:DOD)

For the international fellow, Monday would probably be better because people are heading home from vacation, but it will still have fair crowds. Labor Day kids are actually still out of school...

Thanks for all the answers. I've also asked Six Flags customer services and they said Monday they're expecting less crowd in the park he doesn't even told me about Flash Pass in his answer.

I think we will try without Gold Flash Pass first, see how it is and hoping there will be still left in case of crowd coming. And I'll ride as single rider many time because my sweetie will probably don't dear to do rides like LL, X2 or Tatsu. You speak about single rider line for LL, do you know if there is also a single rider line for X2, Tatsu and other major rides? so I can ride them faster while my sweetie wait me. (I'm a big fan of single rider lines, when I'm at a park with my brother many time we use it to re-ride faster).

I'm very excited for this visit, following by Knott's Berry Farm on Wednesday and Universal studios on Thursday.

For the international fellow, Monday would probably be better because people are heading home from vacation, but it will still have fair crowds. Labor Day kids are actually still out of school...

Thanks for all the answers. I've also asked Six Flags customer services and they said Monday they're expecting less crowd in the park he doesn't even told me about Flash Pass in his answer.

I think we will try without Gold Flash Pass first, see how it is and hoping there will be still left in case of crowd coming. And I'll ride as single rider many time because my sweetie will probably don't dear to do rides like LL, X2 or Tatsu. You speak about single rider line for LL, do you know if there is also a single rider line for X2, Tatsu and other major rides? so I can ride them faster while my sweetie wait me. (I'm a big fan of single rider lines, when I'm at a park with my brother many time we use it to re-ride faster).

I'm very excited for this visit, following by Knott's Berry Farm on Wednesday and Universal studios on Thursday.

Rides that have single rider lines:

Green Lantern

Drop of Doom

Riddlers Revenge

Viper

Revolution.

Neither X2 or Tatsu have them.

It was a great adventure for me, the weather should not be too bad, it will probably packed like it always is at Fright Fest but it's well worth it. But take my advice, RIDE X2 FIRST! If you don't you might not get a ride because of tee 3-4 hour line.

I don't know how many times I've had to say this, but just because it has inversions, that doesn't mean it can't have airtime. You can have both!

Maybe I should of worded this better. What I meant was that the Mountain was once again making the "loop" a possible centerpiece to the ride. Inversions seem to be the "big thing"to the the big wigs. But with the ride rumored to go on Log Jammers site, I'm sure it will have lots of sexy intamin curves . I'm thinking that it will be something similar to cheetah hunt, minus the theming. Or maybe a older cousin of Furius Baco

It was a great adventure for me, the weather should not be too bad, it will probably packed like it always is at Fright Fest but it's well worth it. But take my advice, RIDE X2 FIRST! If you don't you might not get a ride because of tee 3-4 hour line.

There's never a 3-4 hour line anymore. I haven't seen anything more than 2 hours 15 minutes this whole season, including weekends! In weekdays, it usually won't get much longer than 75 minutes in the morning and will usually drop to about 25-30 minutes around 4:40 PM. I will usually go to X2 in the morning and then go back for a second ride during the 4 'o clock hour. Monday shouldn't be bad. The hours are decreased to 10:30-8PM. You would probably be better going Tuesday though as Tuesday always seems to be the emptiest day of the week. But use this order:

X2

Tatsu

Superman: Escape from Krypton

Apocalypse

Riddler's Revenge Single Rider

Green Lantern Single Rider

Batman

Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom Single Rider

Colossus

Scream

Goliath

Viper

Ninja

Rerides and any other rides

^The X2 crew has been the best I've ever seen it, maybe even better than when X2 reopened in 2008. This whole summer they've been great. The most I've seen it is in the morning right after the park opened and it was at 2.5 hours, but that quickly died down to about an hour after noon.

^You're absolutely right. The X2 crew has been on it. Only been to the park 4 times this year but all 4 times they were sending a train to the lift while the other was coming through transfer into "unload." Sucks that S&S still has it programmed to stop a train in the former "unload" even though the "load" station is unoccupied.

I've also seen some improvement in the Tatsu crew this summer as well. Still nowhere close to where they should be, but better. Usually it will only stack on the transfer for about 10-20 seconds.

One ride I've noticed that is getting worse in terms of operations is Goliath. Now, even with 2 trains, it will stack! It usually takes about 2 min. 30 seconds for dispatches and it is just really slow. It's fine if it stacks with 3 trains, but It shouldn't be stacking with 2 trains. Especially when the ride ops are just chatting away and laughing with each other.

There's never a 3-4 hour line anymore. I haven't seen anything more than 2 hours 15 minutes this whole season, including weekends! In weekdays, it usually won't get much longer than 75 minutes in the morning and will usually drop to about 25-30 minutes around 4:40 PM. I will usually go to X2 in the morning and then go back for a second ride during the 4 'o clock hour. Monday shouldn't be bad. The hours are decreased to 10:30-8PM. You would probably be better going Tuesday though as Tuesday always seems to be the emptiest day of the week. But use this order:

X2

Tatsu

Superman: Escape from Krypton

Apocalypse

Riddler's Revenge Single Rider

Green Lantern Single Rider

Batman

Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom Single Rider

Colossus

Scream

Goliath

Viper

Ninja

Rerides and any other rides

Thanks for the list, it's stored in my smartphone. Did you forget Revolution on purpose ? is it so bad ?

About going on Tuesday, of course it was my first idea, right after the holiday... but of course the park is closed ! (I still don't understand why).

For me 45-75min wait is already very long... and even more for my girlfriend because she isn't a big fan of coasters . I usually always go to a park on weekdays off holiday, and wait no more than 15min at 95% of rides. In the case of Magic Mountain with "only" 30min per ride, 14 rides, it'll take 7h only for waiting in line ! If it's the case I won't hesitate to get a Gold Flash Pass, it could maybe be my only time ever at this park so I can afford it.

Oh, you aren't talking a out this coming Monday.

Well I could probably estimate some waits for you.

X2- if you run fast enough and it opens on time, none. On Tuesday it opened 20 minutes late.

Tatsu- if X2 opened on time, 5 minutes. If X2 opened any more than 5 minutes late, expect a 15-30 minute wait.

Superman - if X2 opened on time, expect a 5 minute wait. If X2 opened late, expect a 15-30 minute wait.

Apocalypse - 10 minutes or less

Riddlers - 5 minutes or less with Single Rider

Green Lantern - 5 minutes or less with Single Rider

Batman - 10 minutes or so

Lex- 5-10 min with Single Rider Line (which doesn't open til noon)

Scream and Colossus - 5-10 minutes each

Goliath - 15-60 min. It's different every day so you may get lucky or you may not. I usually have to wait around 30 minutes.

Nothing else should have anything more than a 10 minute wait.