TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey so I'm new to TPR forums, but I've always been a huge enthusiast and TPR reader/follower, I just haven't had a reason to post anything myself. But finally, I do have a reason haha so I joined the forums. Anyway, I am visiting SoCal and am heading to Magic Mountain today (Tuesday, the 7th) with my two brothers for the first time since 2009. We're going to be at the park about an hour before opening and want to get everything done, or at least hope to. What do you expect wait times and crowds to be like? Currently, the plan is to run to X2 first thing, then book it over to Lex Luthor. Then Goliath, Colossus, Scream, Batman, etc. Should this work? Or should we instead run to Lex Luthor first thing and then book it to X2 and then Viper, Tatsu, Apocalypse, Superman, etc?

One thing for sure, we won't be doing single rider because we want to ride together. Also, what have average wait times for Lex Luthor been like during the day? I know X2 is hours long (I waited 6 hours for it once back in 2003), but I can't seem to find a solid answer for predicted Lex Luthor wait times. Anyway, if anyone can answer back ASAP before the park opens and we begin running blindly to the rides, that'd be great. Thanks!

Hey so I'm new to TPR forums, but I've always been a huge enthusiast and TPR reader/follower, I just haven't had a reason to post anything myself. But finally, I do have a reason haha so I joined the forums. Anyway, I am visiting SoCal and am heading to Magic Mountain today (Tuesday, the 7th) with my two brothers for the first time since 2009. We're going to be at the park about an hour before opening and want to get everything done, or at least hope to. What do you expect wait times and crowds to be like? Currently, the plan is to run to X2 first thing, then book it over to Lex Luthor. Then Goliath, Colossus, Scream, Batman, etc. Should this work? Or should we instead run to Lex Luthor first thing and then book it to X2 and then Viper, Tatsu, Apocalypse, Superman, etc?

One thing for sure, we won't be doing single rider because we want to ride together. Also, what have average wait times for Lex Luthor been like during the day? I know X2 is hours long (I waited 6 hours for it once back in 2003), but I can't seem to find a solid answer for predicted Lex Luthor wait times. Anyway, if anyone can answer back ASAP before the park opens and we begin running blindly to the rides, that'd be great. Thanks!

Ive been watching reported Lex Luthor times and most days it's been hovering around 30-45mins. You should be in good shape today being that it's a Tuesday. I would start with X2 then go to Tatsu and then go to Lex Luthor. Those are your longest potential lines in that order, but unless there's some event or something today I don't think even X2 will get a line much more than an hour at it's peak today.

^What he said. X2, then Tatsu, then Lex Luthor, then Green Lantern, and you are good for the day. I used this plan last Thursday and it worked like a charm! I had to wait about 10 minutes for Lex Luthor when I did this.

I will also be at the park today and running to X2 first. So I might see you there!

Just got back from our East Coast trip and there are probably 10 coasters that we rode this week that I'd trade every single coaster at SFMM to get.

Most of the people in our group had never traveled to ride coasters and were amazed at the sheer quality of rides like Intimidator 305, SkyRush, Storm Runner, El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racer, etc.

Yeah but you can't expect one park on the west coast to match those "several" parks with all those great coasters. The quality of coasters would have to go up at every park over here.

I agree that SFMM needs and airtime machine. It makes no sense to have 17-18 roller coasters that all go upside down, and a hyper coaster with one speed hill? But then you look at the other parks in Cali and the situation gets even more dire. Xcelerator and then...nothing.

Yeah but you can't expect one park on the west coast to match those "several" parks with all those great coasters. The quality of coasters would have to go up at every park over here.

I agree that SFMM needs and airtime machine. It makes no sense to have 17-18 roller coasters that all go upside down, and a hyper coaster with one speed hill? But then you look at the other parks in Cali and the situation gets even more dire. Xcelerator and then...nothing.

Manta (SWSD) has some good airtime.

Anyways, hopefully Full Throttle will be designed with lots of airtime, but with rumors about the world's tallest loop, this might be another coaster focused on inversions.

Just got back from our East Coast trip and there are probably 10 coasters that we rode this week that I'd trade every single coaster at SFMM to get.

Most of the people in our group had never traveled to ride coasters and were amazed at the sheer quality of rides like Intimidator 305, SkyRush, Storm Runner, El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racer, etc.

That's not really surprising. I mean it'd be great if we could all just cherry pick the great coasters we don't get to ride all the time, and trade them for the ones we do, at parks we visit regularly. But the fact of the matter is you visited 6 different parks to get on 6 different (and great) coasters. We just don't have that many parks on the West Coast, and really, no park in the world maintains such a large number of high caliber of coasters in one location.

This repeated notion that Magic Mountains collection of coasters just don't compare to other randomly picked ones at several different parks is getting stale and old.

All of the following parks are parks in America of equal or lesser size to SFMM (which is just about every park in existance) that have at least one coaster with more airtime than ALL coasters at SFMM:

Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags over Texas

Dollywood

Knoebels

Kennywood

Six Flags Great America

Cedar Point

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Carowinds

Kings Dominion

Kings Island

Dorney Park

Six Flags Over Georgia

Canada's Wonderland

Canobie Lake park

Worlds of Fun

Six Flags New England

Six Flags America

Darien Lake

Lake Compounce

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Playland (Canada)

Silverwood

Busch Gardens Tampa

Seaworld San Diego

Disney's California Adventure

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Let me know if I missed any. (I probably did miss a few)

[edited with thread]

Edited by MrSum1_55

Just got back from SFMM and I'm glad to report that I had a fantastic day! The park was relatively not crowded for a summer weekday in early August. Went into the park and was the first one on X2 (opened 20 minutes late; music was BLASTING very very loudly on both trains and the fire was working!). Then headed up to Tatsu and waited 15 minutes for the front row (decent operations). Waited 15 minutes for Superman, running just the right side. Then headed to Apocalypse and waited 5 minutes (1 train operation due to "routine annual maintenance". Again??). Went and got lunch in DC Universe and used to single rider line to ride Green Lantern 3 times and got some AMAZING rides! On the first ride I got 2 flips, including a flip in the first half of the ride; this car was very unbalanced. On the second ride, which was relatively unbalanced, I got 1 flip at the end. On the third ride, by far the best, I got a whopping 3 flips! One in the first half of the ride, then in the second half it was back flipping continuously! It felt so awesome! And what was strange was that it was almost perfectly balanced! Seems like they are loosening it up a bit.

Then I headed over to Lex Luthor Single rider and this is where the fun started. I got stuck at the top for about 5 minutes on side 1! The views were great! And when we got back down they let us ride again without waiting. After I left the ride operated for about 30 more minutes and then was down for 4-5 hours! I think the heat (109°F) today was causing the ride to malfunction and make the cars and catch cars get stuck at the top. Maintenance was there testing the ride and had ladders in the station to access the catch cars during this time. It finally reopened around 6 PM. We rode some more rides and our longest wait was 30 invites for Goliath! Not bad!

I also saw Bonnie Rabjohn out talking to guests this morning just after opening. It seemed very welcoming and friendly to enter the park this morning! She was with Sue Carpenter.

Overall great day!

Glad to hear that. At one point I saw LL was down and didn't know for how long it had been, I hoped you'd gotten on it before that. I'm going to be doing almost an identical day but on a weekend in October..I'm hoping to have the same lines but if not I'm prepared to shell out for a flash pass.

Quick question. If you are delayed at the top of Lex, do any operators let guests know through the speakers at the top of the tower, or do you just suddenly drop without notice? I should be visiting the park in September and look forward to getting on the new ride but being stuck up there freaks me out a bit.