The DNA of griffonj [RCT3]

Bourne - Break the Boundary - 9
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

The DNA of griffonj [RCT3]

Postby griffonj2022 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Whenever I begin a new project, I always am looking for something that pushes the limits of what's known. I want to take the everyday ride and amplify it, taking it to another place that has never been seen or witnessed by anyone.

Shot0334.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

When it comes to an entire phase, however, I look for a connecting element that runs throughout each project, having a central idea link every single thing that I have done.

Shot0336.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

The Creation Phase was a simple premise - have one ride morph and change into a different ride each time, ultimately arriving at the main attraction, N9NE. It wasn't until I was on enVy did I realize this idea, but I found it a perfect fit for the work that I was putting out.

Shot0340.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

But when it came time to decide what was going to happen after the Creation Phase, I knew that I wanted to do something a little more intense. I wanted to take what I knew about the game, roller coasters, scenery, track elements, design, colors, layouts, etc. and delve a little bit deeper, pushing the envelope so that the seams were essentially non-existant...

Shot0338.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

Back in early 2012, I was in creativity mode, having my brain constantly be on the edge for the "next big thing." For that to happen, I had to totally isolate myself from the game, avoid any contact with outside information, and completely focus on what I had done in my past. I knew that to top it, I had to dig deeper inside myself to open the floodgate for Phase II.

Shot0335.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

And one day in February, I got an idea. Phase II had finally arrived, and it was a revelation...

Shot0339.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

Creation, as I've said before, has to have a starting point. From that point, a specific code and sequence is born, giving the creation it's own unique qualities and features. For most of us, our DNA is what defines us, creating our physical appearance, mental capabilities, and our personalities.

Shot0341.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

But, doesn't our DNA also describe us to ourselves? Without it, we wouldn't know who we are, what we have done, and what we will be become. I took this idea with me into the game for the first time since releasing La Gargouille, ultimately creating the first attraction in a mere 10 minutes. It took my design to a whole different level in my opinion, and from then on I kept pushing and pushing more.

Copy of Shot0333.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

My ideas have been bursting at the seams, having my genetic make-up compose the next nine attractions found in Phase II. I have never been so personal with attractions in my life (aside from N9NE), and the first one gets the message across clearly and concisely.

Shot0332.jpg
Viewed 3212 times

As strands of DNA are released from the twisting rails of steel, so is my DNA...

YouTube Videolink

Phase II
The DNA of griffonj
Launching July 2012

Last edited by griffonj2022 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 am.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: The DNA of griffonj [RCT3]

Postby Xtreme97 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:06 am

This looks really fun. I like the way you do your advertising.
Last edited by QueerRudie on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:52 am.
My Workroom

Cae-Maen Leisure Park

Feel free to PM me if you need any help!

Postby griffonj2022 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Xtreme97 wrote:This looks really fun. I like the way you do your advertising.

Thanks! I try to present my ideas in a different way than others, creating a unique "griffonj way" :p

Think you know all about DNA? Read up, because you're going to need it when it comes to mine tomorrow...

My brain is often hibernating.

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 pm

That layout is so realistic and unique - love it! Only negative is that station, in my opinion it is somewhat ugly and awkward and.. sharp. Haha, though thats just my opinion. Excellent work!

iDNA [RCT3]

Postby griffonj2022 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 pm

logo_300.png
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0374.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0343.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0347.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0353.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0354.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0366.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0350.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0348.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0351.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0365.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0361.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0352.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0363.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0357.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0372.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0369.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0370.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0346.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0376.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0356.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0358.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0367.jpg
Viewed 2959 times
Shot0344.jpg
Viewed 2959 times

iDNA
Experience Your Sequence

YouTube Videolink

"When you're born again, you're DNA changes..."

-griffonj2022

Postby griffonj2022 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 pm

***Sorry for double posting!***

-Edge of Beast- wrote:That layout is so realistic and unique - love it! Only negative is that station, in my opinion it is somewhat ugly and awkward and.. sharp. Haha, though thats just my opinion. Excellent work!

Thanks! I was shooting for something a little more unique than enVy, and I think I did it. The station was another different idea that I got back in March, having the ride launch into the aptly named "genetic plasma" that breaks apart to release iDNA so it may run it's course. Its meant to be awkward, twisted, bent, abnormal, and eccentric, seeing as every person's DNA is twisted and bent to create the person that they are. It may be considered "sharp", yes, but I guarantee you that no one would get hurt on it while near it or on the ride.

The plasma was designed to start within the station and flow to create this huge mass at the beginning of the ride, as well as having it be found at the base of the first drop, on the bridge, at the ride entrance, and on the final inversion. I wanted to have the plasma be shooting off of the ride and spiraling around it to simulate not only DNA's shape and structure, but also to, symbolically speaking, have the rider's "DNA" fly off of the ride. It was a cool idea that I got, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

iDNA
Experience Your Sequence
Ride Statistics

Length: 2,923 ft.
Height: 150 ft.
Max. Speed: 68 mph
Max +G's: 4
Max -G's: -1.75
Max Lateral G's: 2
Inversions: 3
Duration: Under 1:00 min
Maximum Capacity: 1,440 riders per hour

I have to say that this ride is one of the most fun I've ever done. I'm usually very serious when it comes to releasing a ride, but this one was much different than the ones in the Creation Phase. I had a blast creating the layout (in a record time of under 10 minutes), constructing all of the supports, intertwining the track with genetic plasma, and even filming and editing the video.

I really think that this video is the best editing that I have ever done! I had been dreaming about editing the video since March, with images of the ride twitching and stopping while the music blasted and colors swirled. The video for iDNA is probably the most visually entertaining video to watch, as well as the most quirky and eccentric. It was so exciting to finally put it out!

Overall, I really hope that you enjoy this one. It was the most obvious way to kick start the DNA Phase with the aptly named ride iDNA, and I hope that you'll Experience Your Sequence with as much energy and fun as I did mine. There are 8 more rides to come, so get ready to delve into my DNA a little more in the coming months. This month I hope (crossing my fingers!) to finish up another ride and release it, and then have number #3/#12 come in September. For now, here's a little sneak peek when something goes wrong in my DNA...

When something in your DNA goes horribly wrong,
it becomes like nothing else in the world...

DNA ERROR.bmp
Viewed 2930 times

Embrace the Change

-griffonj2022

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby grrt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Really liked iDNA! Seemed oddly similar to enVy though I really enjoyed the layout still. I do think you may soon need to alter your shots. It's holding you back that you have such a knack for only focusing on the track. Build up a pathway atmosphere and you can gather so much more depth and atmosphere shooting from the path itself. It will also feel much more natural and humanist. Something about your paths just feels a bit off. They feel perhaps a bit incoherent and maybe a little awkward. I think that's a combination of the fencing you put around it and your path covers. On enVy I used a lot of Moby's fences and invisible paths. Perhaps you could try and utilize that to your own style. If this park is to be more futuristic, Old Spice's Epcot paths will do you wonders!

That is all for now, keep up creating excellent layouts and keep plugging away at your scenery, though always be sure you're putting just as much emphasis on the scenery as your track and the two will mesh very well!

DNA ERROR

Postby griffonj2022 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:27 pm

grrt wrote:Really liked iDNA! Seemed oddly similar to enVy though I really enjoyed the layout still. I do think you may soon need to alter your shots. It's holding you back that you have such a knack for only focusing on the track. Build up a pathway atmosphere and you can gather so much more depth and atmosphere shooting from the path itself. It will also feel much more natural and humanist. Something about your paths just feels a bit off. They feel perhaps a bit incoherent and maybe a little awkward. I think that's a combination of the fencing you put around it and your path covers. On enVy I used a lot of Moby's fences and invisible paths. Perhaps you could try and utilize that to your own style. If this park is to be more futuristic, Old Spice's Epcot paths will do you wonders!

That is all for now, keep up creating excellent layouts and keep plugging away at your scenery, though always be sure you're putting just as much emphasis on the scenery as your track and the two will mesh very well!

Thanks! I remember showing you the design back when I first "conceived" it, and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. In regards to shooting from the pathways, when I film I try my hardest to be "standing" on the pathway when filming. I get as close as I can to the ground, aim for what I want a shot of, and film away. I do notice that all of the shots are focused on the ride, but since the whole video is about the ride itself, I think I have to film what I would like to see from an on-lookers perspective (in my opinion).

Although I do lack in scenery and foliage, I promise you that the next project will be an overdose on those two subjects. With the next idea I hope to delve a little more into the scenery department and give this ride an atmosphere that I haven't given before. While iDNA offered "genetic plasma", the next project will expand on that idea, and take more elements along with it.

In regards to pathways, I do try to use the invisible paths when I can, although I tend to use real pathways for a more structured look. I'm so used to using DasMatze's fences that I don't think twice about it, but I did create all of the glasswork (fences, station, pathways, bridge, genetic plasma) from a set too. The glass fences in the queue were made from that set, but were hand done by myself. I tend to lean towards fences that will interact with the ride's style and character, and since this one leaned more toward the futuristic DNA idea, I went with glass and metal.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'm a person that believes you can only improve, so it won't be long before one design comes along that blows all the others away - scenery included!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, before I forget... I just couldn't resist giving a little bit more away before going into hiding for a few weeks!

Ever wonder what happens when something goes horribly wrong in your DNA? Your genetic code becomes tampered, your blood thickens, your heart beats faster, and you become like nothing else in the world...

YouTube Videolink

DNA ERROR
Embrace The Change
August 2012

Shot0384.jpg
Viewed 2844 times

"The capacity to blunder slightly is the real marvel of DNA..."

Want to know the real name for DNA ERROR? Start your research now, because it's going to take a lot to reveal what's gone wrong in my DNA...

Divergence can do an extreme amount of harm to an object, especially one that's living.

-griffonj2022

Hybrid With Anything

Postby griffonj2022 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 pm

A look into the future...for now.

Shot0014.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

Shot0004.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

"A hybrid can withstand these things..."

Shot0025.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

Shot0007.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

"My heart beats with bricks and strings..."

Shot0011.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

Shot0380.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

"My DNA could mean anything..."

Shot0031.jpg
Viewed 2707 times

Work In Progress! ;)

-griffonj2022

My brain is often hibernating.

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Holy moly.. all of those layouts are lovely! They each have their own thing that separates them from the other ones. Can't wait to see more!

Next

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness