TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The DNA of griffonj [RCT3]

Whenever I begin a new project, I always am looking for something that pushes the limits of what's known. I want to take the everyday ride and amplify it, taking it to another place that has never been seen or witnessed by anyone.

Shot0334.jpg.dcea5f191323ba6543d62d557a36005f.jpg

When it comes to an entire phase, however, I look for a connecting element that runs throughout each project, having a central idea link every single thing that I have done.

Shot0336.jpg.3dfdcfd6ef0c34ff22bc1ae16b453073.jpg

The Creation Phase was a simple premise - have one ride morph and change into a different ride each time, ultimately arriving at the main attraction, N9NE. It wasn't until I was on enVy did I realize this idea, but I found it a perfect fit for the work that I was putting out.

Shot0340.jpg.69f51047f65cb78a7cb692a735c76849.jpg

But when it came time to decide what was going to happen after the Creation Phase, I knew that I wanted to do something a little more intense. I wanted to take what I knew about the game, roller coasters, scenery, track elements, design, colors, layouts, etc. and delve a little bit deeper, pushing the envelope so that the seams were essentially non-existant...

Shot0338.jpg.bdf67393c25ce4254f6d73212b7ca70d.jpg

Back in early 2012, I was in creativity mode, having my brain constantly be on the edge for the "next big thing." For that to happen, I had to totally isolate myself from the game, avoid any contact with outside information, and completely focus on what I had done in my past. I knew that to top it, I had to dig deeper inside myself to open the floodgate for Phase II.

Shot0335.jpg.daab258e89dffcfe3f92e2c03f12ec92.jpg

And one day in February, I got an idea. Phase II had finally arrived, and it was a revelation...

Shot0339.jpg.45d4dfc1ab55ce170010c732e7950b8f.jpg

Creation, as I've said before, has to have a starting point. From that point, a specific code and sequence is born, giving the creation it's own unique qualities and features. For most of us, our DNA is what defines us, creating our physical appearance, mental capabilities, and our personalities.

Shot0341.jpg.37013d221b107453da3353627177d991.jpg

But, doesn't our DNA also describe us to ourselves? Without it, we wouldn't know who we are, what we have done, and what we will be become. I took this idea with me into the game for the first time since releasing La Gargouille, ultimately creating the first attraction in a mere 10 minutes. It took my design to a whole different level in my opinion, and from then on I kept pushing and pushing more.

317424335_CopyofShot0333.jpg.f0b69659e5ac227da5a29985a00c6f2a.jpg

My ideas have been bursting at the seams, having my genetic make-up compose the next nine attractions found in Phase II. I have never been so personal with attractions in my life (aside from N9NE), and the first one gets the message across clearly and concisely.

Shot0332.jpg.ee322b482c98bc112646c4e5dc1cdefb.jpg

As strands of DNA are released from the twisting rails of steel, so is my DNA...

Phase II

The DNA of griffonj

Launching July 2012

Edited by griffonj2022

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks really fun. I like the way you do your advertising.

Thanks! I try to present my ideas in a different way than others, creating a unique "griffonj way"

Think you know all about DNA? Read up, because you're going to need it when it comes to mine tomorrow...

***Sorry for double posting!***

That layout is so realistic and unique - love it! Only negative is that station, in my opinion it is somewhat ugly and awkward and.. sharp. Haha, though thats just my opinion. Excellent work!

Thanks! I was shooting for something a little more unique than enVy, and I think I did it. The station was another different idea that I got back in March, having the ride launch into the aptly named "genetic plasma" that breaks apart to release iDNA so it may run it's course. Its meant to be awkward, twisted, bent, abnormal, and eccentric, seeing as every person's DNA is twisted and bent to create the person that they are. It may be considered "sharp", yes, but I guarantee you that no one would get hurt on it while near it or on the ride.

The plasma was designed to start within the station and flow to create this huge mass at the beginning of the ride, as well as having it be found at the base of the first drop, on the bridge, at the ride entrance, and on the final inversion. I wanted to have the plasma be shooting off of the ride and spiraling around it to simulate not only DNA's shape and structure, but also to, symbolically speaking, have the rider's "DNA" fly off of the ride. It was a cool idea that I got, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

iDNA

Experience Your Sequence

Ride Statistics

Length: 2,923 ft.

Height: 150 ft.

Max. Speed: 68 mph

Max +G's: 4

Max -G's: -1.75

Max Lateral G's: 2

Inversions: 3

Duration: Under 1:00 min

Maximum Capacity: 1,440 riders per hour

I have to say that this ride is one of the most fun I've ever done. I'm usually very serious when it comes to releasing a ride, but this one was much different than the ones in the Creation Phase. I had a blast creating the layout (in a record time of under 10 minutes), constructing all of the supports, intertwining the track with genetic plasma, and even filming and editing the video.

I really think that this video is the best editing that I have ever done! I had been dreaming about editing the video since March, with images of the ride twitching and stopping while the music blasted and colors swirled. The video for iDNA is probably the most visually entertaining video to watch, as well as the most quirky and eccentric. It was so exciting to finally put it out!

Overall, I really hope that you enjoy this one. It was the most obvious way to kick start the DNA Phase with the aptly named ride iDNA, and I hope that you'll Experience Your Sequence with as much energy and fun as I did mine. There are 8 more rides to come, so get ready to delve into my DNA a little more in the coming months. This month I hope (crossing my fingers!) to finish up another ride and release it, and then have number #3/#12 come in September. For now, here's a little sneak peek when something goes wrong in my DNA...

When something in your DNA goes horribly wrong,

it becomes like nothing else in the world...

DNA ERROR.bmp

Embrace the Change

-griffonj2022

Really liked iDNA! Seemed oddly similar to enVy though I really enjoyed the layout still. I do think you may soon need to alter your shots. It's holding you back that you have such a knack for only focusing on the track. Build up a pathway atmosphere and you can gather so much more depth and atmosphere shooting from the path itself. It will also feel much more natural and humanist. Something about your paths just feels a bit off. They feel perhaps a bit incoherent and maybe a little awkward. I think that's a combination of the fencing you put around it and your path covers. On enVy I used a lot of Moby's fences and invisible paths. Perhaps you could try and utilize that to your own style. If this park is to be more futuristic, Old Spice's Epcot paths will do you wonders!

That is all for now, keep up creating excellent layouts and keep plugging away at your scenery, though always be sure you're putting just as much emphasis on the scenery as your track and the two will mesh very well!

Really liked iDNA! Seemed oddly similar to enVy though I really enjoyed the layout still. I do think you may soon need to alter your shots. It's holding you back that you have such a knack for only focusing on the track. Build up a pathway atmosphere and you can gather so much more depth and atmosphere shooting from the path itself. It will also feel much more natural and humanist. Something about your paths just feels a bit off. They feel perhaps a bit incoherent and maybe a little awkward. I think that's a combination of the fencing you put around it and your path covers. On enVy I used a lot of Moby's fences and invisible paths. Perhaps you could try and utilize that to your own style. If this park is to be more futuristic, Old Spice's Epcot paths will do you wonders!

That is all for now, keep up creating excellent layouts and keep plugging away at your scenery, though always be sure you're putting just as much emphasis on the scenery as your track and the two will mesh very well!

Thanks! I remember showing you the design back when I first "conceived" it, and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. In regards to shooting from the pathways, when I film I try my hardest to be "standing" on the pathway when filming. I get as close as I can to the ground, aim for what I want a shot of, and film away. I do notice that all of the shots are focused on the ride, but since the whole video is about the ride itself, I think I have to film what I would like to see from an on-lookers perspective (in my opinion).

Although I do lack in scenery and foliage, I promise you that the next project will be an overdose on those two subjects. With the next idea I hope to delve a little more into the scenery department and give this ride an atmosphere that I haven't given before. While iDNA offered "genetic plasma", the next project will expand on that idea, and take more elements along with it.

In regards to pathways, I do try to use the invisible paths when I can, although I tend to use real pathways for a more structured look. I'm so used to using DasMatze's fences that I don't think twice about it, but I did create all of the glasswork (fences, station, pathways, bridge, genetic plasma) from a set too. The glass fences in the queue were made from that set, but were hand done by myself. I tend to lean towards fences that will interact with the ride's style and character, and since this one leaned more toward the futuristic DNA idea, I went with glass and metal.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'm a person that believes you can only improve, so it won't be long before one design comes along that blows all the others away - scenery included!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, before I forget... I just couldn't resist giving a little bit more away before going into hiding for a few weeks!

Ever wonder what happens when something goes horribly wrong in your DNA? Your genetic code becomes tampered, your blood thickens, your heart beats faster, and you become like nothing else in the world...

DNA ERROR

Embrace The Change

August 2012

Shot0384.jpg.cde6b5014da5d21962aba8e74cfe9623.jpg

"The capacity to blunder slightly is the real marvel of DNA..."

Want to know the real name for DNA ERROR? Start your research now, because it's going to take a lot to reveal what's gone wrong in my DNA...

Divergence can do an extreme amount of harm to an object, especially one that's living.

-griffonj2022

• 2 weeks later...

All the pictures look really incredible. It looks like you've got quite alot of big projects ahead of you, but that invert looks so awesome. I love the idea of having the wingrider-style drop on an invert. I can't wait to see all of these projects!

Holy moly.. all of those layouts are lovely! They each have their own thing that separates them from the other ones. Can't wait to see more!

Thank you! Yes, they all do have their own unique aspects that differentiate them from each other, allowing for me to stretch a little bit and experiment with the layouts. Some of them are very conservative, while others are just completely insane. Like you said, "can't wait to see more", and neither can I! I cannot wait to show everything that sitting in my brain, but it'll come with time... Hope you stick around to see what's next!

All the pictures look really incredible. It looks like you've got quite alot of big projects ahead of you, but that invert looks so awesome. I love the idea of having the wingrider-style drop on an invert. I can't wait to see all of these projects!

Thanks! You're right, I do have a lot of "big projects" ahead of me, and I hope that I can complete them to their full potential (crossing my fingers). I remember getting the idea for that drop on DNA ERROR, and I just couldn't get over how neat it was. I kept thinking "This isn't real, this could never be real", but it very possibly could one day! The rolling inverted drop on an inverted coaster is just a preview of the real madness that's to come...you think that's a crazy drop?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I've been looking around for this picture for awhile now, but I finally found what I was searching for...

MyDNA?

MyDNA.thumb.png.4610d8438b4a19bdb881a269f5185247.png

For a long time I've been wanting to do a so-called "Q&A Session" here on TPR. Since I'm well underway into the DNA Phase and know many of you are very excited about it (as am I!), I've decided to go through with it...so...

MyDNA Analysis

A Question & Answer Session

Sunday, August 19th - 7:30 to 9 PM (EST)

Have a chance to ask griffonj anything you want! Just head into the chat room at any time during this session, and ask away...I'm an open book! Well, mostly.

Hope to talk with you all soon!

-griffonj2022

Just a reminder that MyDNA Analysis is tonight! Come chat with me in the chat room from 7:30-9:00, asking any question you want!. Can't wait to hear from all of you!

Oh, and I may just announce something very big at 8:30 if you tune in around that time.... Expect an update very soon too!

I'm really excited to announce this one!

A beast hidden within...

Shot0055.jpg.823a8d9915c0f98e756b22e037b04d81.jpg

Shot0061.jpg.d8f6edfe3e6774487aa17478291a1f00.jpg

A monster waiting to be unleashed...

Shot0056.jpg.a0d5f026c0a06468ea4ba365e602c34c.jpg

Shot0058.jpg.2829ad15062a39d2e423a3fba69b5543.jpg

A creature that has never been seen...

Shot0062.jpg.410c61e93e31a4b141dbbac01a9806e2.jpg

Shot0063.jpg.e998434aa67ae93581d4011ae8c83b6a.jpg

An animal unlike any other...

2099613386_CopyofShot0054.jpg.0c05954d467f015289a6b0db07ca3a24.jpg

It's like nothing else in the world...DNA ERROR is...

logo_300.png.749f439d178e9fe8a670970265ca103a.png

Mutation

Embrace the Change

Late August 2012

Oh, and I think I may have just created the best design I have ever done. I'm not trying to brag here, but I think it's going to break the boundaries!

Shot0050.jpg.d74ab329d41f2f00d30b5853a0aa7283.jpg

-griffonj2022

Since I'm about 80% done with Mutation, I figured I'd give everyone a "work-in-progress" update like I used to do with my previous rides.

The scenery and theming on this ride is going to, hopefully, be the best that I've ever done, and it's really going to create an entire atmosphere for the ride. I went in with the idea of having this caged beast, a mutant if you will, be trapped underneath a rocky terrain, only one day to escape and wreak havoc on the land. It's going to be pretty cool when finished, as I'm shooting for a worn down, ancient and old look with all of the scenery. Hope you stick around to see what it looks like!

After the first drop, the ride dives into a subterranean tunnel, having the "genetic plasma" suck riders into the ground!

Shot0067.jpg.8086a3e464005eae32e8c20c74433749.jpg

When the coaster dives underneath the water on the first drop, geysers shoot up, giving on-lookers a way to trace the path of the ride.

Shot0069.jpg.47f479b740a7a3279653e988e7f0db12.jpg

The station is almost half way done, with the main structure having to be built.

Shot0066.jpg.eedafe434a241efa90f9fd438ff80184.jpg

The entrance to the "island" that Mutation is on also has to be finished. See the floating sign?! Just another one of my tricks!

Shot0071.jpg.babd13859e0b8036e5eb7959000de6d3.jpg

Another one of Mutation's subterranean dives features a waterfall and foot-chopper effect. It also features geysers that shoot off behind the train once it dives beneath the ground!

Shot0070.jpg.2ecfcb9901ecddc2d21b711169e8ba43.jpg

Man, that's one close corkscrew! This part of the ride is the intense finale, having the ride flip and spin in a mess of rocks and foliage. It will be full of foot-choppers, close calls, and neat effects!

Shot0064.jpg.7dc006fbc2c2473d6c2023ce514eb158.jpg

I'm shooting for a release on August 31st (crossing my fingers), so I will be hard at work until then. It's only a week away until you will be able to Embrace The Change like I have!

-griffonj2022

Just a little teaser update before the ride is released this coming Friday!

Only a few more days until you can Embrace The Change!

-griffonj2022

Shot0076.jpg.92fdcf1d232807100bf2248e8e23c3b2.jpg

This ride is full of tight turns and helixes, this being one of them. Pulling out of the most intense moment of the ride, a vertical loop where riders pull over 4 G's, the track twists and bends up into this helix, creating another moment of intense positive G's.

Shot0077.jpg.e69dcdfeecad0fa25b39470ce2d88128.jpg

And then, you're flung into another downward helix! This ride never gives up!

Shot0079.jpg.67f72d32480d540a70e4eb94a3280b52.jpg

The station for Mutation was inspired by a greenhouse somewhat. I wanted to have an old, rustic feeling while still combining glass elements that are essential to the DNA Phase. It's one of the most abnormal ride stations that I've done, seeing as it mixes two unlikely styles.

Shot0078.jpg.90c8d8365faf66b03eaff5e1995841b5.jpg

The entrance to the "island" is nonetheless the same as the station, having rustic elements combine with glass and metal. I originally had the sign lower and near the water, but since it blocked the view of the geysers, I decided to move it over the bridge. I'm pleased with the way it turned out!

Shot0083.jpg.4b444ce85bbe9d3fb68b17160893a384.jpg

This is one of my favorite parts of the ride! I didn't imagine that it would having a huge corkscrew twist over a rocky landscape at first, but once the rocks went in I was so excited to show it off! It's really going to be a highlight of the ride, and reminds me so much of the end of Alpengeist.

Shot0074.jpg.1076aed59b0f2f34afae5980c386f50d.jpg

logo_300.png.625dd1ff6ddab423d6ad6cf95070ed92.png

Featuring the world's first inverting drop on an inverted roller coaster, Mutation is a creature unlike any other before. Taking riders through a unique and twisted layout, Mutation dives into caverns and rocky quarries, tossing and throwing it's prey through 6 inversions and multiple helixes. With an experience like nothing else in the world, this B&M Invert by griffonj offers riders an intense and unheard of experience, giving yet another layer to the DNA Phase...

Mutation

Embrace The Change

Height: 130ft.

Drop: 135ft.

Speed: 65 mph

Length: 3,587ft.

Max. Positive G's: +4.6

Max. Negative G's: -1

Max. Lateral G's: 2.5

Duration: 1:46

Inversions: 6

Like nothing else in the world...

Shot0110.jpg.c0a1aaaae166e35d1da87e3ffefc8f32.jpg

Shot0093.jpg.0c08cc10e5b3ad82e3537ae7d8f5ad61.jpg

Shot0097.jpg.21758e0d9f0639125a96096ea6088f82.jpg

Shot0107.jpg.7b30996f1379473b505da09c84bd3b82.jpg

Shot0099.jpg.4d004268a388f83e6e8f40c88d47adc7.jpg

Shot0101.jpg.416ab17234c504cc298cc51a31c0cb38.jpg

Shot0091.jpg.4886469060c12bef893ade8fab6a0c32.jpg

Shot0104.jpg.e6308eab199aaba8d617cdaf2f70b852.jpg

Shot0114.jpg.88771bae6e64c3452473d02216e60e4d.jpg

Shot0112.jpg.2b9d264203b4539fb89a884b290c6a38.jpg

Shot0098.jpg.bdf2fb67cc5053f0bfe25c8031165437.jpg

Shot0089.jpg.6bc38d6f074be853dbab4a8f02530ec5.jpg

Shot0086.jpg.edda5b117873aa53dcfc315d6e2376bd.jpg

Shot0106.jpg.2885f695286be7c38aed6ddc318ed6d8.jpg

Shot0109.jpg.f1ec545b6443b19fa08b99c9c0158fc2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's official!

6a00d8341c09d853ef015434338df3970c-400wi.jpg.e0b3ef29ca4407488e8754680f3f3c89.jpg

SkyRush

RideTheRush

An Original griffonj Creation - 9.30.12

Taking inspiration from the ride that bears the same name, SkyRush will be a figure-8 style attraction that offers more than 8 times of negative G's! Shooting riders off of every hill, pushing the limits on every turn, and creating a new way to "Ride the Edge", SkyRush is sure to have riders experience something old, yet new. Although it looks to be an Intamin attraction, SkyRush is actually a creation of Bolliger & Mabillard, taking the manufacturer to another level of design, style, and capability.

Get ready to RideTheRush on SkyRush!

Shot0024.jpg.dc400acf3c26e949d539ac215cb3b097.jpg

Shot0017.jpg.2bd998ecaa78d25d0e58ea337a046793.jpg

Shot0018.jpg.55ebca3f155c89ef617f9bc35b6d4b3f.jpg

Shot0011.jpg.c4ef29f25ca6334867185db0844e706d.jpg

Shot0021.jpg.2dc504ba5dd8e1f46d32cc4f42ea5af0.jpg

Shot0025.jpg.0cd4abee36674ab245113997b8572e31.jpg

It's a great coaster and I love how unique the coaster's layout is. But, you really have to re-name this as the name has no creativity whatsoever as you copied Hersheypark's logo and name. Other than the name, it looks very good, I can't wait to see more.

It's a great coaster and I love how unique the coaster's layout is. But, you really have to re-name this as the name has no creativity whatsoever as you copied Hersheypark's logo and name. Other than the name, it looks very good, I can't wait to see more.

I know, I know, how unoriginal...but its what the ride was created after. Once I finished the design I knew that it was going to be named SkyRush only because of how similar it was to the real ride, as well as offering another layer on my DNA (I'll explain later). I've done rides similar to real rides in the past with the same name, for example WildEagle and THE SWARM, and for the DNA Phase I wanted to keep the same idea but do it with only one ride - SkyRush.

I hope that it doesn't detract from the fun nature of the ride, but that's the name, and I'm sticking to it

Working on finishing up the ride as I'm typing, and working on #4 as well. I'm feel like playing a game of Truth or Dare sometime soon...

6a00d8341c09d853ef015434338df3970c-400wi.jpg.e53ea20409b523f5d10782987546613c.jpg

Finally, the release of SkyRush is here! After months of planning and building, this B&M Mini-Hyper Coaster is now ready for you to ride. Climb up 140ft. to drop back down at 90 degrees, twisting only to level out and turn into one of four 90 degree turns. Feel the rush as you fly out of your seat more than 8 times throughout the ride's unique figure-8 layout, be forced into your seat on multiple helixes, and ride the first-ever splashdown of the DNA Phase on SkyRush!

Shot0053.thumb.jpg.89a08b62a97a831c96473eaff26493cc.jpg

SkyRush

RideTheRush

SkyRush is here!

This ride was actually designed a year ago, and I let it sit for a year until I actually released it! I knew the design wasn't fit for the Creation Phase, and I knew that I wanted SkyRush to be my 12th release, so I saved it for a little while. The design is planned after the basic "figure-8" that a lot of roller coasters did back in the day, but I mixed it up a little bit here and there with the layered turns/helixes and the four overlapping airtime hills.

Overall, I think it's a pretty solid ride. More pictures will be coming in the future too. The speed is a bit fast, but I knew that the ride of the same name has the same principal in mind, so I only trimmed the ride in one spot. It's a ride that blends the old and the new, while also being innovative with the nearly-supportless lift at 15mph, 90 degree twisting drop, and a splashdown (surprise!) I'm happy with the way it turned out, and am excited to finally show everyone something that's more "normal" in the DNA Phase.

I'll warn you ahead of time though, the next one isn't going to be anywhere near "normal". Get ready to go head-first into an entirely new design that really takes what you expect from a roller coaster and throws it out the window. It's release date is set for Halloween, so I hope I'm able to put it out then due to it's overall theme and idea...Willing to play a game of Truth or DARE?

Thanks for sticking around too! There's 6 more rides to come!

-griffonj2022