TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flowriders - The evil within...

Many of us on this site have encountered a Flowrider before. You all know what I'm talking about. That innocent-looking wave machine that lets you boogie-board your heart out and occasionally wipe out while all of your friends watch and point and laugh. Wiping out is fun on these things, though! They're not particularly painful and you always get right back up laughing about it, right?

Wrong.

There are places in this world, evil places, that allow, no, ENCOURAGE you to learn how to surf on a Flowrider. And I don't mean surf like body-surf. I mean full on stand up surf. And they do this to people who have never touched a surfboard before. This almost always results in what I like to call, "the moment of clarity," which occurs when one's head is about 0.5 centimeters from the base surface of the Flowrider, where that little voice goes, "Um, yeah, probably wasn't the best idea, buddy."

If you ever find yourself in the position to learn how to surf on a Flowrider, please heed my warning and opt out. Instead take your business to a beach with small waves or go to Typhoon Lagoon and get surf lessons in their very deep wavepool. You don't want to end up with a "moment of clarity."

Thank you for your time.

ravVu.thumb.jpg.c49c8c970675b74f07cba816a3af0e80.jpg

The moment of clarity.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I do believe the same would happen the first time you attempt real surfing. You're landing on a trampoline, it's not uncomfortable. Get yourself a pair of sliding shorts, get your feet set, and don't let go of the lifeguard until you're in a bit of a rhythm.

Flow Riders are one of the best and most reride-able theme park attractions out there. Perhaps if you attempt it more than once you could work on your balance and learn how to just step off the board or fall on your butt if you get the wobbles.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I do believe the same would happen the first time you attempt real surfing.

Oh, I was just trying to get some laughs from that picture, no real bigger reason. I figured it'd be a good way to start a Flowrider thread while making people laugh at a shot of someone faceplanting.

As for the same thing happening from real surfing, yeah, it would happen, but at least you'd be going into water rather than onto a surface. Trampoline or not, it's still worse than going into water.

I see then, lol.

We have two FlowRiders up here in the Twin Cities, a Junior and a Double. Sadly only the Junior has season passes, but it's enough to work on tricks. Carving is a bit difficult on that one though. I've been using it work on the 720 on knees. Got the 360 down pretty good.

Anyone got any tricks they can do?

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I do believe the same would happen the first time you attempt real surfing.

I agree!

...at least you'd be going into water rather than onto a surface. Trampoline or not, it's still worse than going into water.

Uhh... I guess you've never been in the ocean (or dive into water and land wrong)? There's a sea floor that is much more painful then any theme park flowrider. Waves crash and body slam you into water when actually surfing.

http://www.waveloch.com/safety

Yes, I know I missed the humor in your first post. Had to defend flow riders though, they are not painful and very fun!

I have tried stand up surfing in 'real waves' as well as the flow rider. They are both hard as hell but I much prefer the flow rider as you lack the drowning aspect that actual surfing gives you every time you wipe out!

Btw, LOVE the wipe out pic!!!

Flowriders do eliminate the "drowning" aspect of wipeouts, and they are like landing on a wet pillow. But you can still wrench your back pretty well on a Flowrider, as I found out on a cruise last year.

Lots of fun, though.

Wiping out on a beach with pounding surf can be quite painful. I have never tried surfing, but i have had my face and body ground into the sandy bottom underwater. Not fun for me, and no added fun for people watching since it occured underwater. At least wipeouts on the Flowrider can be watched and enjoyed by all the spectators.

^ Besides the ocean floor, there's also the board itself, which can be turned as a weapon against you because of the leash. I still wouldn't trade the ocean for the Flowrider, but the controlled aspect of it was pretty impressive....and fun!

^^ Brian, I used to surf and skateboard, and although you use the same stance, it was definitely a slightly different feeling. There's certainly a learning curve, but it's not too difficult. Unfortunately during my only session on the cruise last year, I had two things working against me...time, and a bad left knee.

I'm anxious to try it again though!