TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Since it isn't an SEC "stadium" they might sell it but since it is an SEC team playing they might not I'm not sure. I know the SEC has a no alcohol policy conference wide and at UK Rupp sells beer for events but not for UK basketball games.

I

had a conversation with the (former) AD at Western Kentucky about alcohol in the stadiums last year and he said it is completely up to the individual schools on whether or not they want to serve alcohol in the stadiums. Granted some cities/campuses/conferences might have rules against it but according to him if a school wants to sell beer in the games they can find a way to do it. We serve beer at baseball games on Western's campus and the AD said he was pushing to get it approved for basketball and football before he left for Ole Miss.

I also remember from that conversation he mentioned that there are like 25 or so D1 school that sell alcohol in the stadiums and I think a lot of those are in the Big East. I know Louisville sells it in Pappa Johns Stadium.

I never really understood the point of not selling booze considering at least 1/2 the stadium is already drunk from tailgating anyways.

Thankfully the security at the Coliseum sucks, so I always have an extra drink/flask or two in tow for USC games.

^Speaking of Miami...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--hurricanes-coach-al-golden-s-staff-used-booster-s-associate-in-potential-recruiting-violations.html

Personally, aside from the fact I am a USC fan (who without a doubt got screwed by the NCAA), I really hate the NCAA. Lets be honest...any star football or basketball player has received improper benefits in one way or another since they turned 15 years old. Whether it be "sponsorships" of their club teams, runners hooking them and their families up with stuff, or just using their celebrity status to get free stuff...everyone wants a piece of what is projected to be the millions of dollars they will make.

And the farce that is the NCAA turns a blind eye to keep cashing those fat checks except when they are forced to take action by media reports.

^Rules are rules and should be followed...

But what bugs me is how agents trying to leech off a kid results in a "competitive advantage." If a kid can ball, regardless of what school he is from, agents will be trying to pay him off. And chances are, unless he is already financially well off, he and his family are probably accepting something they shouldn't.

Boosters paying for recruits is cheating. Douchebags just trying to use a player for their own benefit isn't cheating.

Nevermind the fact the NCAA had Paul Dee (the A.D. when Nevin Shapiro was allegedly paying all these players) as the chair of its infractions committee...

Edited by Jew

We didn't kill or rape any students or local citizens, so I'm okay with it.

I've given up reading "in-depth, investigative" BS from Yahoo! It just doesn't matter to me anymore. There's two games that will always be played by everyone(whether Yahoo! wants to report on them or not)....the one on the field, and the one off the field. And as long as state and federal laws aren't broken, I say, "game on."

Any thoughts on the Penn State sanctions form anyone? I'm still wrapping my brain around the decision but my initial reaction is maybe it's a bit much? I mean the $60 million dollar fine isn't that big of a deal to me, but the loss of scholarships and a 4 year bowl ban for current players that had absolutely nothing to do with the crimes that were committed seems a little excessive. I mean that school and the program are going to suffer immensely from now on without the sanctions, and with the sanctions they won't recover for the better part of a decade at least if ever, it's almost like the NCAA is rubbing salt into the wounds. I don't know, I am NOT trying to defend that place at all, the crimes committed are eternally unforgivable and the men responsible for the crimes and the cover up deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law, but does a sophomore backup offensive guard who wasn't even in high school when the crimes were committed deserve the punishment? I just don't think so.

I don't know, I feel like this whole situation is bigger than the NCAA and they should have just stayed away from it instead of interjecting themselves into the center of the attention.

If this were the swim team, the lacrosse team, etc. etc., would it matter? Of course not. But it's the most integral part of the entire university, and thus it should be held accountable. To me, as long as every current player has the freedom to transfer without penalty, I see absolutely no problem with bringing the hammer down on the school.

I realize every current player and/or potential recruit had nothing to do with the crimes, but here's the thing. The men who were responsible were also the men who created the aura of PSU football. They are the foundations for what every single player for decades has desired to play for. If an entire athletics program, scholastic society, and fanbase want to loudly proclaim, "WE ARE...PENN STATE," then it must be recognized that they consider themselves a team, and not a collection of individuals.

And the individuals who they have come to "worship" have mislead the team into not only misfortune, but serious crimes of humanity. When you ask if current players deserve to be punished, I can only ask this in return: Do you think the former administration and coaching staff had the future players and students best intentions in mind when they committed their crimes? If you're the face of an institution, then you should realize that your actions (good or bad) will forever affect that institution. It's a ripple effect, and it shouldn't matter at what point in the timeline the rock was tossed into the water.

To put it simply, if this had happened to my school, I'd have a real tough time justifying my continued support for them. We're not talking recruiting violations, we're talking rapes that were covered up by the absolute leaders of the school. And for that, I see nothing wrong with the NCAA stepping in and handing out whatever punishment they feel is justified.

Personally, I feel the bowl ban should have been longer.

I don't know, I feel like this whole situation is bigger than the NCAA and they should have just stayed away from it instead of interjecting themselves into the center of the attention.

I agree - the school or courts should have come up with the punishment, but football means too much to the school/community so that would have never happened. Sad thing is how the olympic sports will be hurt by this ruling, but even had PSU been given the death penalty, football still subsidizes the other sports...

We're not talking recruiting violations, we're talking rapes that were covered up by the absolute leaders of the school.

I feel like this situation was created and covered up by a very very small select few individuals who were in positions of power (Sandusky, Head Coach, president, AD), and these select few are all now in jail, going to be in jail, or are dead. I guess I just feel sympathetic for all of the little people underneath and who have come after them that are now going to suffer through these punishments and the resulting damage to their reputations even though they had absolutely nothing what so ever to do with the crimes that were committed. Same way that I feel bad for the physics professors, and history professors and students at the University that have nothing to do with and don't care one bit what soever about athletics (and they do exists) who are now forever associated with this situation just by default.

It's almost like they got the death penalty without officially getting the death penalty.

Coming from the perspective of a current student, I think that four of the five sanctions are fair.

I'm really happy that the NCAA appears to be more concerned with rebuilding for the future instead of tearing down the past. However, I don't think that the team's wins should be completely erased. Sure, the coaches involved in the scandal were around during those seasons, but at the end of the day it's the players that win the games. They earned those wins fair and square.

I really hope that this doesn't affect the way people look at myself and my studies, just because I go to Penn State. I understand that there are plenty of people who couldn't care less about this whole thing, but there are plenty of people who do.

The NCAA had no choice. If they did nothing but let the courts settle it, what kind of message would that send? "Protect your football program at all costs...we don't care!"

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the board of trustees was in on it too and the Freeh report is just their way of making sure they have a scapegoat. The culture of "football is God" goes beyond just a few people.

In all honesty, I haven't gone to a single football game since I started school there. I was on a bus coming back to University Park from a Glee Club performance when the original story broke in 2011!

Also, apparently, the decision to sign off on the NCAA's sanctions was made completely within the office of the president and was never passed through the Board of Trustees.

Do I have the right to be a little upset about this whole thing? Yes. Am I going to riot by flipping trucks over? Absolutely not.

That being said, I'm really happy that Coach O'Brien is committed for the long term. It's going to be a rough few years, but we'll totally get through it.

Also, apparently, the decision to sign off on the NCAA's sanctions was made completely within the office of the president and was never passed through the Board of Trustees.

What good would come from appealing? More dirt unearthed? Though I agree that not giving Penn State full due process (the Freeh report is a very one sided account with lots of room to poke holes in) is very shady, letting this drag on any further than it needs to and allow more dirt to be unearthed was not in the schools best interest.

Looks like Kiffin has jumped in on this new College Football Free Agency period........

Good for him. Schools circled the wagons around USC's upper class-men. Now Lane gets to have some fun too! And hopefully add some much needed depth at RB.