TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Is "Full Throttle" supposed to be announced today?

I highly doubt it, it's a holiday! I would be surprised if any Six Flags corporate employees are working today. Where did the whole 4th of July announcement rumor come from anyways? I thought it was that Brady guy on LA Times but his article says...

Magic Mountain officials declined to comment on the specifics of the mechanic's revelations, saying only that the park does not respond to rumors or speculation. An official announcement on the new 2013 attraction will be made in late summer.

And please, not the Revolution discussion again.

Did I hit the wrong button? I'm new here and have missed previous discussions. I certainly don't mean to bring up bad emotions and feelings. From what I've heard, it's just a matter of time for Revo

No it wasn't you at all. It's that,

1) it's a depressing subject for most of us

2) it's a topic that can meander along endlessly.

That said, I think it's coming too!

Plus, clone coasters in the same state? Really?

Scream is a mirror image of Medusa AFIK. So I wouldn't call it impossible for SFMM to get a clone of Superman :UF one day. But with the track record of that space, S:UF will be gone in maybe 3-4 years at most and it would make sense just to ship it down I-5 to SFMM. Also while being one of a kind ride, it still looks plenty boring. Though who knows, I love V2 every time I ride it and it's pretty much half it's former self.

Also congrats on this topic hitting 2500 pages. Now how much of it has been debate/bitching?

Scream is a mirror image of Medusa AFIK.

Scream! is a mirror clone of Bizarro at Great Adventure. Medusa's clone is Kraken at Sea World Orlando. But where I see two of the same clones is at SFOT and SFFT. Batman and Goliath are clones and they are in the same state, just with different names, so it's not entirerly impossible for SFMM to see a Superman clone, although I highly doubt it.

Scream is a mirror image of Medusa AFIK.

Scream! is a mirror clone of Bizarro at Great Adventure. Medusa's clone is Kraken at Sea World Orlando. But where I see two of the same clones is at SFOT and SFFT. Batman and Goliath are clones and they are in the same state, just with different names, so it's not entirerly impossible for SFMM to see a Superman clone, although I highly doubt it.

But the whole Batman and Goliath thing is different.... the Batman clone is in a ton of the parks. Plus, SFFT wasn't even supposed to get one, they got the old Batman from SFNO. So it's kind of similar but putting a S:UF clone into SFMM would be a waste of space for a record thrill (like I305) or would waste space that some flat rides could be put in!

Has anyone heard the rumors about Colossus getting the Rocky Mountain treatment? I guess anything would be better than what's there now. I could even see Gravity Group "having their way" with it and making it a great ride again.

Isn't it more than a rumor? I heard one of the heads at SFMM (excuse me for now knowing who) said SFMM was looking into getting a Rocky Mountain treatment for Colossus!

But the whole Batman and Goliath thing is different.... the Batman clone is in a ton of the parks. Plus, SFFT wasn't even supposed to get one, they got the old Batman from SFNO.

And let's not forget about Great White, a clone that's just ACROSS TOWN from where they (relocated and) opened Goliath 11 years later.

So no, no precedent for clones in close proximity, especially not by SFI...

^ Last I checked, Great White is at Sea World, not Six Flags.

As others have said, SFFT wasn't supposed to have a B:TR Clone. The reason they named it Goliath is probably because they already have a Batman at SFOT. I'm sure most people don't even realize it's the same ride.

Secondly, the situation with SFNO was unique whereas at the time of Batman's removal they were trying to salvage what they could. They had the space at SFFT and it was the closest park without a Batman already.

There have been no indications that the Superman they put up at SFDK is going to be the new "Cloned ride" and as others have said, SFMM isn't the most likely destination for a clone of the ride if there is one. Sure they have put in 4 "new" rides the past 2 years, but they have all been low capacity which doesn't particularly work for SFMM. Don't think they are really going to do the same thing next year.

Now like I said previously, I could see them swapping Superman for Green Lantern in a few years.

^ Last I checked, Great White is at Sea World, not Six Flags.

True, but putting Goliath a mere 11 miles from a copy of itself seems like something of a failure to plan, or at least recognize what their competitors have. It's not like SFFT was the only SF park that didn't have a Batman clone already.

Anywho, back to the regularly scheduled SFMM discussion: I agree that a S:UF clone (a la SFDK) would fit much better in the Deja Vu footprint. I can't say I see them swapping the new S:UF and GL:FF as long as they're both still drawing significant lines.

I'm assuming TPR is going to have some local so-cal badasses to go check out Lex Luthor...when can we expect reviews? I know it's opening on the 7th. I realllyyyyy need to get to West Coast bash now. Giant Drop in Australia was incredible! I know Blue Fall's reviews say it packs more of a punch on the drop, but people are going to love this ride.

340441550_giantdrop.jpg.7a8ca9d0f1a40b1ca7c5cc11971f181f.jpg

Soooo good! Love it when the tower shakes ;)

I don't really understand why Colossus would get a Rocky Mountain treatment...it may not have much in terms of forces, but it's butter smooth. Seriously.

But does "butter smooth" necessarily equal "exciting"?

From the SFMM Facebook page:
Watch a live webcast of the media launch of Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, tomorrow @ 11am, before it opens to the public this Saturday. Click here for the details: http://www.videonewswire.com/event.asp?id=87953

Good idea to live stream the media event for those who can't make it. I'll be watching it for sure

Awesome! Thanks! I'll be doing that.

I don't really understand why Colossus would get a Rocky Mountain treatment...it may not have much in terms of forces, but it's butter smooth. Seriously.

But does "butter smooth" necessarily equal "exciting"?

Not at all. But it is definitely "fun." It just seems strange to me that a park would dump a ton of cash into a classic wooden coaster that is already fun and running like a gem.

Not that I'm against it. I'm all for thrills and airtime and upkeep and blah blah blah. I'm just not really sure why it makes sense in THIS case.