TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

At least they're doing some work and not just letting it sit around.

It does seem kind of like an ill omen that the entire transfer area is gone, but all the footers are still there and it's still shaded under a roof, so I'm not losing hope. Initiate super-blue-sky-thinking mode!

^Upon hearing the news and seeing the updated construction (or more like deconstruction) video, the first thing that popped into my head was "Methinks they are planning to get new and improved trains for The Flying Turns". And I do hope that is the reason for the missing transfer track because I felt that having a longer train for the Flying Turns would fit this coaster better without any worries nor fear of the coaster train jack-knifing somewhere on the track. Perhaps they looked at Kings Dominion's Avalanche and saw how that coaster is still up and running since 1988 and the reason is because the long trains.

That's my take on the subject and I hope that this is a sign that improvements are on the way and finally "About Doggone Time!!!" they will open this ride.

"Hey, I'm always open, so why don't you ride me?"

I don't know where you got the idea that it was ever going to have single cars, it was always going to be trains.

But like you, I'm hoping it doesn't get slowed down so much that it sucks.

But once they get rid of the single cars, it's really just another bobsled coaster? The whole point of the project was to bring back an old ride.

Have you been playing too much RollerCoaster Tycoon? The "Flying Turns" coaster type that uses single cars is really misleading - it's supposed to be based off of the Intamin Swiss Bob design with its single 4-row cars, and it was metal track in RCT2; but for some reason they decided to put it on wood track in RCT3. They really should've just made the single cars a changeable option for the Bobsleigh coaster type instead of making a whole new one.

The Flying Turns is the predecessor to the modern bobsled-style coaster. As far as I'm concerned, the ride would still be "retro" and "authentic" even if Knoebels contacted Mack Rides and had them make bobsled trains that would work in the wooden chute.

Was at Knoebel's this past Sunday. Two guys were actually working on Flying Turns at the transfer track area. I shouted to them, "When will I be able to ride it?" One of them responded, "October!" I said, "Very Cool, looking forward to it,' and they both laughed and the other guy said, "He didn't tell you what year!!!!"

Love Knoebel's! While the parking lot was extremely full on Sunday, all of the rides were walk-ons. I guess everyone was at the pool or a picnic.

Stopped by on Saturday and it looked exactly the same from the video update. The old boneyard that had tons of wood, parts and old trains from the ride has been completely cleaned up. Only some new wood, job trailors and a pizza box are in this area now.

By the way, I think the 3rd row on the Phoenix is starting to lose a little bit of it's magic touch. I found the 1st and 2nd rows to be much smoother and more airtime-filled. The first drop and hill felt butter-smooth. Got some of the best rides I've ever had on Twister as well.

Was at Knoebel's this past Sunday. Two guys were actually working on Flying Turns at the transfer track area. I shouted to them, "When will I be able to ride it?" One of them responded, "October!" I said, "Very Cool, looking forward to it,' and they both laughed and the other guy said, "He didn't tell you what year!!!!"

Love Knoebel's! While the parking lot was extremely full on Sunday, all of the rides were walk-ons. I guess everyone was at the pool or a picnic.

I would love to see this ride open someday, but I wonder if Knoebels is learning the hard way why no one has built one of these in, oh, the last 50 years?

That being said, I hope they succeed--Knoebels is a great park.

This is what, the 6th time they've had to tear up and replace sections of track?

Just ugh...this is so frustrating. I wish they had taken all the money they've wasted on this ride and built a Boulder Dash style coaster on the side of the hill by the skyway...or hell, ANY type of coaster that would actually operate. It's obviously late for this, but I wish they had purchased Bullet from Flamingoland and put it on that piece of land to replace Whirlwind.

You can't be a Monday morning quarterback. They acknowledged when they started this project that they were taking a risk. Risks like this are high risk-high reward. Things don't always work out perfectly.

I understand that this ride is taking so long to build that it's comical, but they did say right up front that this was a possibility.

Risks like this are high risk-high reward.

I'm not even 100% convinced on that TBH...Will the ride be that amazing and popular in the long term to warrant the effort.

It probably won't be. That doesn't mean that I won't ride it over and over again though.

What will matter in the long term is if Knoebels makes enough money off of it to offset its cost. They're obviously planning on finishing it; if they weren't, they would have torn it down in its entirety and re-used the wood somewhere.

If we truly do see this thing open in October (more specifically for Phall Phunfest), I will most certainly wait in a queue ALL DAY for it (unlike Black Diamond). I'm still really excited to see this thing open soon.

Risks like this are high risk-high reward.

I'm not even 100% convinced on that TBH...Will the ride be that amazing and popular in the long term to warrant the effort.

It would give them something unique.

This is what, the 6th time they've had to tear up and replace sections of track?

Just ugh...this is so frustrating. I wish they had taken all the money they've wasted on this ride and built a Boulder Dash style coaster on the side of the hill by the skyway...or hell, ANY type of coaster that would actually operate. It's obviously late for this, but I wish they had purchased Bullet from Flamingoland and put it on that piece of land to replace Whirlwind.

I totally agree...the money they've spent on this so far they could have done so much else!

If we truly do see this thing open in October (more specifically for Phall Phunfest), I will most certainly wait in a queue ALL DAY for it (unlike Black Diamond). I'm still really excited to see this thing open soon.

So I'm not the only one clinging to a faint hope that the comment you're referencing could've been (tentatively) serious rather than 100% messin' with the person. Though admittedly, for me it's pointless to think about since I have no idea how to get to Knoebels without the help of a TPR bus. Working on figuring that out for future years, though.

Hearing complaints about Flying Turns not being ready is nearly as annoying as hearing liberals complain about conservatives and conservatives complaining about liberals.

Basically, none of it makes *ANY* sense and is considerably close-minded

Kudos to Knoebel's for continuing to work on it. Go to most big parks (Cedar Point, Kings Island, Magic Moutain, Great Adventure) and look at your alternatives. (I left out Great America on purpose; they rock!)

Coasterguy is right, Its very frustrating to see Flying Turns still under construction and all sorts of work still going on but you've got to give the park HUGE credit to keep working on it, and going with the attitude of "We will get this right, and it will be done when its done" It would probably be an easy bet to say that the absolute majority of parks would just have simply given up by now and thrown in the towel, but this shows huge dedication from the park in that they clearly want to still fight on and get this ride open no matter how long it takes.

In the meantime, I guess we will have to keep making do with the pov posted on Youtube, and hope that once this ride does open, it really will be truely unique

I don't think it has anything to do with dedication at this point. Knoebel's probably isn't in a position where they can simply cut their losses and tear it all down for something new. If they could, I'll bet they would just turn this whole thing into a bonfire at this point.

Who knows how much they've sunk into this already. As an engineer myself I know that just the time itself for the workers/engineers involved really eats up the budget. I'm sure much of why it has taken so long is the fact that they simply haven't been working on it continuously. At some point they have to cut the budget and wait for new income before they can move forward again so that they don't bankrupt themselves over this thing.

Perhaps now that work has started again they are ready for the final push to sort out all the bugs. I remember the last time they sent a train through the ride they videotaped it and it looked pretty good. Anyone remember what the remaining problems were that needed to be fixed?