TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Oh wow, never realized my TR is the 500th page

I don't know why but I have this feeling that August we may hear something. This time my thoughts are not based off of a Cedar Fair Facebook fan page that gets their info from who knows where, but are just some random feeling I got when at CGA the other day. I could be totally wrong again but we'll see. In the mean time, it's been fun getting photos of the site's progress and was flipping through my Facebook album after updating it Sunday...and was quite amazed at how that whole area has changed over the past couple months. Facebook album here. They are pretty much the same photos you've seen me post here but all consolidated into 1 area rather than scattered throughout several pages. The name is just what I named it based off the rumors.

A CGA Facebook fan shared a photo of the current view. It looks like some wooden framework is now set up in the back area "Prudential Turn." Assuming this framing is for pouring concrete. I'm wishing they set up a webcam, would be fun to see progress when I'm not at the park.

Photo found here:

(as requested by the OP of this photo)

Of course from FB...

Dumb...wooden rollercoasters are played out and they have the grizzly...they need to compete with Six Flags marine world and this isn t the way to do it...

Ill informed.

I'm excited its a new coaster set to open 2013! I hope they stay on schedule cause that would be awesome to have something new. can't wait. I was there friday and took pictures

Me too!

And Willard's Whizzer FINALLY is put to rest! Can't wait to see what develops!

Amen!

How you gass?

WTF?

Should name this 'Willard's Revenge.' though it won't be a Speed Racer coaster.

Interesting

They are adding a path in which to place more garbage cans. Concrete and refuse .. Those are a few of cedar fairs favorite things...

*sigh*

Wizzer is coming back!

I wish!

I think the wooden coaster wood delivery sign kinda gave it away

Yup.

It's a new wooden roller coaster. Pics are online if you look it up. LA Times did an article on it.

What? Where is this article?

Well the only thing I could find that I don't think was posted on here was this little bit, that all but confirms (besides the other obvious things) what this is....

California's Great America plans to open an oft-delayed wooden coaster by Great Coasters International in 2013, the Santa Clara amusement park's first new coaster in a decade.

Well, in more than a decade and there was also some pics on the LA times site but they were from other coasters so no point in posting them here.

Should name this 'Willard's Revenge.' though it won't be a Speed Racer coaster.

That was me there, joking of course

And some more interesting things:

49ers are tearing down sky tower so no one can sneak a peek in their stadium?

I'm sure the whole team is ready to start dismantling the tower...not!

Hopefully it is not a racetrack for another attraction that has an additional fee. Right now that is what it looks like.

I guess you can call it a single lane wooden race track with hills? No...let's just call it a roller coaster.

Are they gonna close great ameruca cause of the stadium

Great Ameruca doesn't exist, buddy!

Couple from TPRers:

The Whizzer's ghost is -very- unhappy about it. I'm sure he will curse this thing into the ground. Repeatedly.

Please be kind to us ghost of Whizzer! The project already had enough of a rocky start!

Lol there are a select few here that know what we are talking about

And that's where the separation lies between us coaster enthusiasts and the GP

It's good they're starting construction this early and not procrasinating *cough* SFDK *cough*.

The Whizzer's ghost is -very- unhappy about it. I'm sure he will curse this thing into the ground. Repeatedly.

I think the Whizzer ghost is happy that something is "replacing" it after 24 years.

This is really exciting, I can't wait to hear an announcement, a name, and an opening date!

Same here. In the mean time I'm enjoying these teasers when they do appear. I like being able to see other angles I'm unable to see from the tower, and it's fun to see the separation between us coaster fanatics and the GP as we know what's coming, post proof of it (sort of) and the GP still think it's a stadium/race track/tearing down the park/tomatoes/etc...

Many pages back I posted about a discussion I had with an employee who was conducting interviews and got to talking about what's going on behind the fence. She briefly mentioned about the new coaster, going to be huge, have tunnels, and will open Memorial Day Weekend (which seems like a realistic time frame to me). What she didn't know was that the coaster was to happen several years ago but went to a screeching halt for a number of reasons.

now that they have a new wooden coaster on the way; they should take a wreaking ball to that headache machine, they call 'The Grizzly'. All that space could be used for something fun and NOT painful.

EVO.thumb.jpg.e297b3fea2ec0286f8d9a718bc62f767.jpg

now that they have a new wooden coaster on the way; they should take a wreaking ball to that headache machine, they call 'The Grizzly'. All that space could be used for something fun and NOT painful.

Not gonna lie, that photo is pretty humorous. But I agree with Andrewoplis, Grizzly isn't really painful at all, just boring. But the GP loves that thing, which means it makes complete sense to keep the Grizzly. My big wish for the ride is new trains, maybe some PTCs or something. I'm not a fan of the Morgans at all.

Not gonna lie, that photo is pretty humorous. But I agree with Andrewoplis, Grizzly isn't really painful at all, just boring. But the GP loves that thing, which means it makes complete sense to keep the Grizzly. My big wish for the ride is new trains, maybe some PTCs or something. I'm not a fan of the Morgans at all.

Don't you mean GCI's? PTCs would just tear the track apart I believe. Their 3-seater trains are good for classic coasters, but when it comes to new twistier and faster ones, they seem to love to roughen up the ride experience.

Don't you mean GCI's? PTCs would just tear the track apart I believe. Their 3-seater trains are good for classic coasters, but when it comes to new twistier and faster ones, they seem to love to roughen up the ride experience.

GCI won't allow the Millennium Flyers on rides outside of the ones they built, and Grizzly is far from a new twisty fast coaster. The PTCs work great on KD's Grizzly and that thing is much faster and more thrilling than CGA's.