TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Star Tours was a massive upgrade. Amazing Hi-Def, multiple outcomes, a wider cast of popular (and one unpopular) Star Wars characters, and a lot of interesting action in the background (Han shoots first!).

The Matterhorn refurb, not so much. I'd think the rush on the 'Horn should fade fast. Speaking of the Matterhorn...

Taller people may like to know that my 6ft 6 son managed to fit in seat 3. It took some human origami, but he didn't seem to mind that his knees were so high they were centimeters from reaching the grab bar. Big feet might be more of a problem. My size 14 gunboats barely fit in the odd footwells, leaving my legs in an awkwardly bent. It wasn't as comfortable an experience as the earlier model trains, but not so bad I'll stop riding a living coaster landmark.

My point is taller and larger riders should give the new sleds a try. Don't just assume you won't fit based on the scuttlebutt.

Is the new Star Tours really that popular?!? I'm amazed that a rehashed simulator can hold those kinds of crowds,

Dave

I was pleasently surprised with the new upgrades that I ended up riding it four times this visit. That is about the same number of times that I have ridden the original version in the last 7 or 8 years.

I'm in the group of people (is there a group?) that would rather of had the ride taken out or left alone than updated. I'm not the biggest fan of straight up simulators, but Star Tours is something you always had to do once on your visit (for those that don't go all the time). I've only been to Disneyland once since it reopened and I rode it twice, I opted to ride Matterhorn a couple more times rather than ride it again (this was probably a year ago). When I rode the 2nd time there was only one scene that was different. The fact that it changes is cool, but it doesn't change the ride. To me it's not worth spending my time in line to ride it again just to see 30 seconds of different footage. If I want to see the different scenes I'll look at them on youtube.

The updated projection and 3D does look pretty damn good though.

I don't think the update of Star Tours was necessarily to increase the rides long term popularity, but to just make it a bit less dated and fresher. Kinda like the additions to Pirates n such.

I havent been to the park in about 3 years and was wondering if a deluxe annual passport is worth the money?

We're already past the price increase for annual passes, so now the Deluxe passes are about $470 (they were about $380 last year); premiums are up to $650.

If you plan on going this summer, and you don't want to pay extra to get in, you'll need a deluxe pass; the two so-cal passes are blocked until August (thankfully ) You can always buy a cheap pass and go on that day, then upgrade later; you just can't make payments on the price difference, only the original amount.

I've had deluxe passes since 2005, and finally got a premium in 2011. Turns out, I didn't need the extra days and just used the free parking more than anything.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how Star Tours is holding up in a year after mermaid and cars land fully settle in.

Carsland will hold a crowd. You just have to look at Test Track to see that RSR will keep drawing.

Little Mermaid, not so much. Both times I have been to the park there was a line during the day and a walk on at night. Everybody was at World of Color.

Star Tours will still be popular for a while because of the variations. You have to see it multiple times to catch the different scenes. That and the fact that each Star Wars movie is going to be released one a year in 3D for the next 5 years.

Right, once the new wears off, just look for the longest wait time and you'll find the ride with the smallest hourly capacity.

What Star Tours has going for it is that, as time goes on, kids/families/the average person will be just as familiar with Episodes I-III as they are with IV-VI, or moreso with the Clone Wars cartoons. Obviously Tours desperately needed to get I-III's imagery in there somewhere. Now that it's there, Tours is in a much better place to be that old stand-by ride once again like its first version was for so many years. Familiar, but still relevant, and very much something you *want* to do at Disneyland.

RSR will be a top draw for a long time. DCA had long lacked that first FP you always need to head straight for at first arrival, and then hold in your pocket for hours while the anticipation builds. For anyone who actually tries to make DCA a full-day park, RSR and Cars Land in general will be of vital importance to accomplishing that.

^Screamscape mentioned something about Disney looking into a third gate for the Disneyland resort, essentially as a totally Marvel-themed park. I'm curious to see how (if they're real) how those plans affect any possible Tomorrowland revamp and the rides they'll redo/replace.

To be honest, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of a Marvel theme. Imagineering will only be creatively exclusive to build Marvel attractions. They should have the theme of the third gate be a tad more broad so they can also fit in any original concept or other property attraction as they please.

^Screamscape mentioned something about Disney looking into a third gate for the Disneyland resort, essentially as a totally Marvel-themed park. I'm curious to see how (if they're real) how those plans affect any possible Tomorrowland revamp and the rides they'll redo/replace.

To be honest, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of a Marvel theme. Imagineering will only be creatively exclusive to build Marvel attractions. They should have the theme of the third gate be a tad more broad so they can also fit in any original concept or other property attraction as they please.

I totally agree, there's still much more they can do with both parks, I'd rather have them focus on that. Also, with the 3rd park they still have a huge parking problem, not sure how they will figure that one out.

on a side note, I thought the avengers movie was pretty boring

I totally agree, there's still much more they can do with both parks, I'd rather have them focus on that. Also, with the 3rd park they still have a huge parking problem, not sure how they will figure that one out.

on a side note, I thought the avengers movie was pretty boring

And honestly, how prevalent will the superhero movie sensation be in 10-15 years? Anybody remember the western genre....

I do wonder if they do a park (or even just a ride) based off Marvel, do they theme it to the movies or the comics? Like having Robert Downey Jr in your ride is going to be awesome now, but then you run into issues if they reboot Iron Man. Just imagine if IOA's Spiderman was based around the Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire version.

I am going to be there all next week. I was wondering if some of the Disney Geeks can help me on something I am looking at doing. When I say Disney Geeks, that is a positive statement...

I want to get my parents reservations to Blue Bayou with a prepaid card for around $100 to $120. How is the food quality for this amount? Also, I want my daughter to be able to wave to them from a distance and them wave back from POTC. It looks like it is possible from the few times I have been on the ride and saw the restaurant from the rides start. If their table is not in viewing range, then I planned on sending a them a text to come into range once we boarded and to come over to where the ride passes to see us.

I want to do something special for them like this since they always make the time like this to see her.

Edited by OISU8P