TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

Tomorrow is my graduation party and I was off from work so I could enjoy it. However, the grocery store I work at had so many people drop their hours this weekend that I got called into work tomorrow, even though I said I *really* couldn't. The party is joined with my sister's, so she still gets her party, but why does this always happen to me?!? I can't seem to catch a break.

So our community is a really tight-knit community and whenever something bad happens to someone it hits us all really hard...

I just found out a guy from my high school died. He dated a casual friend of mine for a really long time and I never talked to him until I hung out with him and a group of friends a few months after high school and we started texting each other off and on. He was the sweetest guy and loved everyone. I can't believe he's gone. I saw him posting on Facebook just a day or two ago, and now I'm never going to hear from him again. I didn't even realize anything had happened until I read a memorial post from the friend who dated him. She didn't even mention his name in the post or that he'd died but I quickly figured it out when I went to his Facebook. I was just talking to another mutual friend and they think he may have drank too much and that's what caused it....

I really wish I got to know him better than I did, but I'm still going to miss him. We're all going to miss him. He's going to leave a big hole in our community.

At the beginning of last week, a few of my friends and I were planning on setting up an Alien marathon, followed by seeing Prometheus once one of them returned home from college.

Since we never pinned down a specific day for the event, I just commented on the Facebook post saying "So.. this week?"

The person whom the idea originated from said "No." No explanation, no elaboration, just "No."

Ugh. There go my big plans for the next week. Just a little bit more information as to how the plans fell through would make me feel better, right now it feels like he's giving me a "Screw you, it doesn't matter."

My rant's about some of the RCT3 players in the Games Forum that update their parks several times a week. I didn't want to post it on one person's thread and feel bad about calling them out, but here I can do it as a general note.

Why update several times a week? It's not like we're begging for an update, but why post one as often as everyday? You're wasting your time by doing update after update, and 99% of the time, there's no major change. All I see in those updates are the same shots but different angles.

I believe RCT3 is harder than RCT2. Most RCT2 players show their updates maybe every two weeks, but some of the RCT3 players just constantly bring in new updates without changing anything first. Most of their work screams "no effort" and "rushed" while the people who actually show updates once in a while have great screens and shows that they took their time in building their park.

There are quality parks out there, but they take time to create. I want to see some effort into these parks; not parks that show no effort. It's not fair to you, and it's not fair to those looking at the park updates.

[/ rant]

I hear you. The rushed stuff looks really bad, and just lacks the care of taking it a little slow. Hell, I have a project that's been going since January for just one ride (though I got distracted in April and haven't touched it since...need to get back on it).

I only update(d) when something significant was added or changed (new show scenes, queue scenery, etc). I don't get it when an update is something along the lines of "OMG I just changed a support on one ride, let me post 20 screen caps about it!"

Haha my latest park was a full 12 months to the day of work till I posted it! And East Side was quite a lot... I used to fall into the trap of over-updating, then I had a strong urge to improve and realized that you can't do it unless you take your time. And the time I'd usually work towards taking screenshots and writing an update went into actual work. Word to the wise, the game eats your time! Ration it wisely or you'll never get anything done!

As well... why are there so many self entitled and obnoxious kids these days???

I'll echo the thoughts above.

The games Forum really started to go downhill in quality recently, and even though it's starting to resurge a bit, it's not there. These people spamming these updates make their parks constantly at the top and annoyingly active. CD5 had a great balance of doing a once a well update that contained everything going on, and it worked wonderfully. The other problem with these people spam updating their parks is (besides the lack of quality) the fact that it sends other projects which may have been updated only several hours earlier all the way down the page.

Since most of the time members scan the top for new projects and don't scroll down is far. Many great projects are missed, and the projects representing the forum as a whole are not reflecting the actual quality. Unfortunately, the work of the few tends to be judged as the work of the many.

And really, I haven't seen an in-depth new RCT3 park (besides Grrt's) that has blown me away in a long time. I used to be blown away all the time. I want to be surprised by work again.

Anyone else realize that there aren't many RCT2 parks anymore? I mean, most parks are now RCT3. I'm working on a special park that no one but RD knows about, but that won't be released till later this month, and my other two parks are on a hiatus until I have time or until the park is released.

(It doesn't help that I'm going to be gone next week for a Mission Trip to Betsy Layne, KY.)

Got my first job today...normally that'd be happy news, but I'm really nervous about starting. I'm the kind of person that is absolutely terrified of failure and I really, really don't want to screw up...just thinking about it is making me feel ill.

I know exactly how you feel. Just do your best and you'll probably do fine! The people who screw up the most are the ones who don't show up, show up late, don't work, show up drunk, or smoke weed at work... all can be avoided by just giving a s***!

My rant:

In high school, I was one of four valedictorians. I feel as if there's an unspoken rivalry between us to see who will do best after high school since we were all equally successful back then.

Just talked to the mom of one of these people...the same girl who "beat" me in AP English by being the only person to get a 9 on an essay (the highest possible grade) in our two years of AP. Somehow, we both became English majors. She only has one more year but I have two, and her mom just informed me that she's thinking about getting her Master's. F***!! I was thinking about getting my Masters! I know it's not a competition, but it would be nice to have achieved something the others didn't.

Plus, for reasons I won't say, I feel like the black sheep of the 4 valedictorians. I feel the need to prove my worth as a person by excelling academically. It's stupid, but it'd make me feel better at our 10-year reunion if I was the only one to get a grad degree or publish a book or something!

Pressure's on, here we go!! Junior year coming up, let's do it!!!

^ It's awesome that you're so driven, and there's nothing wrong with being a little competitive, but you shouldn't judge your own success byhow others perceive you or by what others have done. Also, you certainly shouldn't feel inadequate in comparison with your fellow valedictorians. Just think how inadequate the entire rest of your graduating class probably feels in comparison with you!

^ It's awesome that you're so driven, and there's nothing wrong with being a little competitive, but you shouldn't judge your own success byhow others perceive you or by what others have done. Also, you certainly shouldn't feel inadequate in comparison with your fellow valedictorians. Just think how inadequate the entire rest of your graduating class probably feels in comparison with you!

Thanks, you have a good point there. I'll try to think about it that way more instead of getting too wrapped up in my perfectionism. Intellect is both a blessing and a curse!

Which is why coasters are awesome. I don't think I could feel worried or depressed while chillin' at my home park. Exactly one month from now I'll be living closer to SFDK than ever!

"All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

If you've played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, you feel my pain right now.

My laptop was seconds from exiting my home via the second-story-window thanks to that mission. Blind luck (and hours of pointless trying) finally led me to beat it, but not before a considerable amount of raging.

In other news, my very heavily Christian brother-in-law has taken up a new game: Ask me a heavily loaded and needlessly obtuse question about my atheistic beliefs, let me do my best to put things as non-offensively as possible (in a ten second time frame, usually), then proceed to look smug when my answer didn't meet his lofty expectations. It's beyond frustrating, especially considering this is someone twenty years my senior (who, frankly, really should have a better means of self-validation by now).

^ My English Class was actually worth something this past year, as we studied a large number of great philosphers. While I don't usually engage in religious debates, I usually use William James to prove my point. sure, I'm a Catholic, but I do have my reasons for keeping this faith. Anyway, here's the guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James

If you still consider atheism to be a "belief" or "something you believe in" you can utilize this man's studies. Basically what he says is that in order for people to stay grounded in reality and to basically stay sane, they need a belief of some kind. Doesn't matter what belief it is, just that there should be one.

When you look at it that way, technically any belief can be true to you as an individual since it keeps you stable.

I don't think he'll have much of a comeback for that one.