TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Is Intamin gonna make the same mods to LL:DOD's noodles?

I can't see it being an issue on that ride, and it hasn't even opened yet. Skyrush's forces seem to be what causes the stapling, and DOD won't have forces like that. Of course the ride op can always staple you in, but I say that's you're own fault! I imagine those noodles (why do I feel so dumb saying that) would make DOD even more thrilling in the end compared to the OTSRs on other drop towers.

Fair point. My thought was the breaks after nearly 400' of falling would be enough to staple, but I suppose that would only be for a few seconds as you wait to land. The ride not yet being open would presumably be a benefit, assuming Intamin is going to add whatever changes they make on Skyrush into future rides with this lapbar design. You don't need to hurry to fix it overnight or close the ride to implement any changes that way. Thanks for the reply.

Bit late to report, but here it goes:

I also visited Hershey on Monday, had a very similar visit to okinawaboy11. I followed the advice to hit Fahrenheit first and it was great advice. I got a front seat ride, walk in, on Fahrenheit, followed by a walk on back seat ride. Then a walk on front seat ride on storm runner, followed by a second ride. Then I got two front seat walk on rides for both sides of Lightening racer.

When I went to check sky rush, the queue was full, so I went to the Zoo and came back. The ride had broken down, so I went to get lunch. By the time I got back, Sky Rush was cycling empty trains, so I waited. Probably 15 minutes later, the ride was open, and in 5 minutes I was in the back row, left wing seat.

My Review:

The lift quickly grabs the train and before you know it you are getting thrown over easily the craziest drop on any coaster I have ridden (I include El Toro, and I305 in this). The way the hill is designed, it feels like there is a pump right at the steepest portion that really tries to throw you out of the seat. When the ride turns at the bottom of the drop you get thrown to the left. The laterals are so intense that I had to grab on for fear of getting hurt. On the first airtime hill you get thrown so hard into the noodles that you are thankful that they are locked down tight. The sweeping turn comes, and I almost blacked out. No fear, the blood quickly rushed into my brain on the second (even more intense) airtime hill. The stengle dive was really a surprise for me. It had strong laterals, and managed to give me negative g's will the train went from overbanked, to normal. Extremely intense. The air-time S-curve had equally strong airtime, that when combined with laterals, was frightening. The last airtime hill comes with a vengeance, and give the strongest air I have ever experience on a coaster. Essentially every hill has stronger and stronger ejector airtime. The ride is an absolute monster.

As for the noodles. I didn't mind my legs getting crushed, but the noodles could be designed much better. I found that the noodles were much worse when I rode on the right wing. Essentially there is a one inch contact point about 1/3 down your thigh. When the extreme airtime comes, a small amount of restraint separates you and death. The placement 1/3 down the thigh is really awkward because your center of mass is so far away from the contact point. If there was more contact from the hip to mid thigh, the restraint would be great. I didn't mind the noodles though because I collected 3 rides throughout the day. It seemed that the ride ops were getting better at loading the trains as the day progressed. Yes, the station design sucks, but they are working on it.

For me I305>Skyrush>El Toro. If the noodles get changed, Skyrush could be #1.

^That was the same seat I was in when I rode SKYRUSH: back row, left side wing. If they planning to change their R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S, then I guess that guest relations received too many complaints about the rider's thighs getting crushed on the airtimes (either that or the park doesn't want me to do marathons on the MERRY DERRY DIP!!!).

You know, this reminds me of another coaster at Kings Island called "Adventure Express" that I rode for the first time in its opening season (that was in 1991). That coaster jerked you left and right through every turn. When I rode it again a few years later, the coaster didn't jerk you like it did before, telling me that maintenance fixed the problem. Hopefully, when I return to Hersheypark, SKYRUSH's problems should be solved and that coaster will be a more enjoyable ride.

"Hey, what about me? I'm always an enjoyable ride!"

^^ I was also at HP on Monday, June 11 and immediately went back and did Fahrenheit, Storm Runner and others in that area right after the gates opened. I bet we probably even saw each other! I also got walk-on front and back seat rides of Fahrenheit and two quick rides on Storm Runner.

Another agreement on the Skyrush restraints. My friend and I both got 3 rides in the last row, in a middle and both wing seats, and one ride toward the front and this coaster was crazy/awesome! HP very much knows about the restraint "problem". When we were loading, the station attendant even told us "don't push your lapbar down too tight or else it will hurt". Problem is, Skyrush pulls enough forces at the bottom of the first hill that the lapbars tighten up, so there is nothing you can do about the noodles being too tight for most of the ride. Unlike conventional ratchet restraints, Skyrush's hydraulic restraint can still get tighter as the ride goes, much like a car seatbelt. Perhaps they could find a way to "lock" the noodles once every one is loaded and set in their positions to keep the lapbar from pushing further down due to the G-forces, it wouldn't be so bad?.

Also, after reading the trip reports in this thread from the past few weeks, I was all prepared for a disappointing experience as a whole at the park. Maybe HP managers read this thread and put a fire under the workers' asses, because I didn't think at all that the ride attendants were slow, lazy, or uninterested. Very often the attendants were hurrying to check restraints and I thought were getting the trains out as fast as they possibly could. They were also letting people on the trains before everyone had exited the loading platform. Obviously they cant do this on Skyrush due the same side loading, which is a real capacity killer for it. Hopefully HP corrects this.

I stayed at the park from opening to close and all-in-all I got 30 total coaster rides at HP last Monday, including on 5 rides on Storm Runner, 4 rides each on Skyrush and Great Bear and 3 on Fahrenheit, all without the Fast Lane. It was a great first visit to Hersheypark! I just got home from a 3 day Great Adventure - HersheyPark - Dorney Park/Knoebels vacation and I'd say I had the best time at Hershey!

Edited by coasterferg

On another note, Hershey park begins selling tickets at 10am. The people selling tickets are the ones ripping tickets. It was a bizzare set up. I would suggest buying in advance, getting there at 9:30 so you are among the first through.

I made it out to the park yesterday for my first rides on Skyrush. I followed the plan and went back to Fahrenheit first. This plan almost worked to well,we had too much time to kill before we could get a good line on Skyrush. By 11:15, I had got 2 rides on Fahrenheit and Storm runner, 1 on Wildcat and Wild Mouse, and 6 on Lightning racer. I then decided to kill some time in the Boardwalk because the place was dead. I had never been able to do much in the five years it has been open due to crowds. The Coastline Plunge slide really kicked ass. Going down backwards into the funnel on Whirlwind was one of the craziest things I have done. EastCoast WaterWorks was also a good time. My only complaint with the Boardwalk was the Seaquel. They were the worst wave pool and lazy river I have been in. The waves were small and not forceful and the current wasn't strong enough on the Lazy River. I much prefer Dorney's. After leaving the Boardwalk I got some lunch then head over to Skyrush. I was greeted with a very small line. Damn, this ride is incredible. I didn't feel much pain but it was uncomfortable during the excessive airtime. The ride will greatly benefit from re-worked restraints. I thought the operations around the park were great and the guys working Skyrush were doing the best they could with the crappy station setup. It was a really great day at Hershey and following the plan really does work.

That back row, left wing seat is quickly becoming my favorite place to ride. I kept my arms up the whole time and just try to anticipate where the ride was going to throw me. I also grayed out a little on the first left bank turn. tighten up the leg muscles a little if you don't want that to happen. I actually like a little gray. Good to hear about the bag drop bins and the possible restraint rework. One of the best rides I've ever been on.

I was at the park today from 4 - 10. Everything in the Comet Hollow had problems (periodically closed) including: Comet, SDL and of course Sky Rush. I only rode it 2 times during 2 hours that I was waiting for it. It was down 4 times during that 2 hour period. When the ride was running, the rideops were were constantly crossing for no apparent reason. As others have said -- slow dispatch times. Nuf said.

My first ride was last row outside (right) wing seat. I found that seat very rough. It seems like it has the same spring board effect like X2 at Magic Mountain which I don't like either. I did ride it a second time row 3 middle and found that better. I had no problem with my thighs.

I had high expectations for this ride, but I'm really not sure if it will break into my top 10 steel. I'll try to ride it several more times tomorrow to try to rate it better. I'm really disappointed...

I like the new SDL trains.

I was there the same day, and yes the ride was having problems, but I was expecting that the whole time seeing as it was built by Intamin. The ride seemed to be running ok for the day, but as all others have stated, operations are quite slow. I have a feeling I only think so because I am spoiled by the operations at Cedar Point, but it did seem like they were just intentionally being lazy. Even after checking seats, they took unnecessary time to dispatch the train. The whole load/unload on the same side is really retarded. I didn't really find any problem with the bins, either. They were just different; and I could see how they would confuse a typical stupid guest wandering through the park on a Saturday, so maybe the drop boxes will be better.

As for the ride...!!!!!!!! Wow! The lift is absolute insanity. I watched it all day and still couldn't believe it was going so fast. And the drop...the shape is just bizarre. It's like a good floating drop until the end when you are kicked out of your seat. Of course afterward you are stapled like no other, but other than that, the rest of the ride was great! The speed was phenomenal, the airtime was almost too much, but it was still stunning! The twists and turns, especially in the outer seats, really whip you around. I found myself latching onto the grab bars because I almost flew out the side of my seat. The last turn was the only part of the ride that seemed a little sluggish, but after that much insanity, it was nice to have a smooth little turn. Unfortunately after that, thanks to operations, I had to sit in the train that was bruising my thighs for another 3 minutes...it was hilarious to hear the whole train moan in relief once the lap bars were released. If this ride had clamshells, it would easily be unbeatable.

I was there the same day, and yes the ride was having problems, but I was expecting that the whole time seeing as it was built by Intamin. The ride seemed to be running ok for the day, but as all others have stated, operations are quite slow. I have a feeling I only think so because I am spoiled by the operations at Cedar Point, but it did seem like they were just intentionally being lazy. Even after checking seats, they took unnecessary time to dispatch the train. The whole load/unload on the same side is really retarded. I didn't really find any problem with the bins, either. They were just different; and I could see how they would confuse a typical stupid guest wandering through the park on a Saturday, so maybe the drop boxes will be better.

As for the ride...!!!!!!!! Wow! The lift is absolute insanity. I watched it all day and still couldn't believe it was going so fast. And the drop...the shape is just bizarre. It's like a good floating drop until the end when you are kicked out of your seat. Of course afterward you are stapled like no other, but other than that, the rest of the ride was great! The speed was phenomenal, the airtime was almost too much, but it was still stunning! The twists and turns, especially in the outer seats, really whip you around. I found myself latching onto the grab bars because I almost flew out the side of my seat. The last turn was the only part of the ride that seemed a little sluggish, but after that much insanity, it was nice to have a smooth little turn. Unfortunately after that, thanks to operations, I had to sit in the train that was bruising my thighs for another 3 minutes...it was hilarious to hear the whole train moan in relief once the lap bars were released. If this ride had clamshells, it would easily be unbeatable.

Wow, seriously? So a ride built by anyone else could not have possibly had any problems?

You shouldn't have too many problems, but here's a general plan that I think should work best for you to get as many rides in as possible:

Head straight to Fahrenheit when the gates open, get your rides in there, then head over to Storm Runner and Sidewinder while you're in the area. Storm Runner isn't getting much of a line with Skyrush open that I've seen, but since it's there you might as well knock it out when you're doing Fahrenheit (which will get a very, very slow-moving and long line)! I would head back and hit the back of the park after that, so that's Lightning Racer, Wildcat, and Wild Mouse. You shouldn't have any waits for any of those things, just a few trains' worth here and there. I would head back up after that, cross under Storm Runner (ride it again if the line is short!), and make your way down the hill and back up the other side. Hit Trailblazer if you like. That'll put you in Minetown, where you can hit Great Bear (not a bad line with Skyrush open either), then SDL on your way around to Comet and Skyrush. Skyrush has a massive line in the morning, but if you hit it anytime after 2pm you're looking at a 10-30 minute wait (depending on crowds). When we were there on Sunday, we rode four times that afternoon, never waiting more than 20 minutes other than our wait for the front.

Basically, fight the urge to ride Skyrush and go do the rest of the park ahead of everyone else! It'll be worth it when you get to ride it as many times as you want later in the day.

Wow, seriously? So a ride built by anyone else could not have possibly had any problems?

How did I in any way suggest that no other ride has problems?

As you said, the ride was having problems and you expected that seeing it was built by Intamin.

Maybe I took it wrong but it seemed like you suggested a ride built by Intamin WILL have problems.

Intamin rides have problems? I never knew that before! The ride should have been built by Vekoma. They would have made it so much more reliable. I mean, it's not like they have problems getting seats to stay on a ride or anything.

^Is anyone else surprised that we went this long without a genuine "this ride isn't OMG phenomenal" or is it just me? (Admittedly it's one of my most anticipated coasters of the year.)

I was extremely disappointed. I felt for sure this ride would easily be in my top 10 steel if not in the top 5. I rode it 4 times this weekend (lines were extreme) with 3 times on the wing. I'm very disappointed in it. I found the "springboard action" made this ride rough for me. The 1 center seat ride was better, but I always ride with my hands up once I crest the hill and it was rough for a 1 month old coaster. Dispatches this morning seemed quicker. I think the staff is getting better. I'll be back in a few weeks test it out again. I guess I'm a minority who doesn't like this ride. I didn't have any noodle complaints.