TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

My internet connection decided that it no longer wants to work for the person paying for it, so now I have to make frequent trips to campus to check on my professor's messages, my landlord's, and to check TPR and Facebook of course. At least it's air conditioned here...

EDIT: Just got internet back. I need a new router...

Less of a rant than a lament...

My best friend just told me she's moving out to Illinois to be with her real mom (whom until now, she hadn't seen since she was really little) and her siblings and to go to college. I'm so happy for her because since graduating high school she hasn't gone any further and 75% of the time is out of work and moving back and forth around the county essentially couch-surfing. Now she'll finally be in a better place to make something of herself, and I'm so proud of her.

I'm literally crying right now because I realize it'll probably be years before I see her again. By that time, we'll both be very different people. Likely (and hopefully!), we'll both have college degrees and may be engaged or married and/or have careers and/or kids. Basically... I feel really sad because I know that after this summer, our fun antics in this town are going to be just memories. I'm really sad in a nostalgic sort of way.... I'm really going to miss her.

On a side note... I know if I ever travel out that way to hit the amusement parks in that region, I'll have a place to stay. And hopefully she'll finally have enough money so she can go with me!

So my sister's dog just threw up...yeah I have to clean it up since I decided to stay up all night. At least my dad won't notice when he feeds the dogs in two hours. Meanwhile, my sister is in England with her boyfriend.

As if my day couldn't get any more screwed up, Muse posts a dubstep song.. like.. seriously Muse?? Are you trying to piss off the tornado gods?? A band that does their own thing ALWAYS, now decides to go along with the biggest trend in creation, and comes late to the party by about a year? The song was damn fine without it. [/majorannoyed]

^I saw that too and was definitely thinking "WTF." But it seems like they have their own spin on it...you know...making a song with instruments instead of a computer. I'm skeptical of the album, needless to say, but it is Muse; their worst stuff is better than half of mainstream music's best stuff. So I will definitely give it a thorough listen before I knock it.

I don't get why people have such a fanatical hatred for Dubstep.

Granted, some of the stuff on the amateur end of the scale sounds like a trash compactor crushing a live vulture, but when done right it's actually pretty good and inoffensive, and can even have a bit of emotion to it when done just right.

Then again, I reserve the right to hate most Christian Rock with a passion, so I guess I'm not one to talk here.

I don't get why people have such a fanatical hatred for Dubstep.

Granted, some of the stuff on the amateur end of the scale sounds like a trash compactor crushing a live vulture, but when done right it's actually pretty good and inoffensive, and can even have a bit of emotion to it when done just right.

Then again, I reserve the right to hate most Christian Rock with a passion, so I guess I'm not one to talk here.

There's plenty of bands that know what dubstep is, and do a fantastic job putting their own spin on, Pendulum for instance, who knows what dubstep should be like. I don't have a problem in general with dubstep, but I can't stand when people follow the mainstream model of having a 'drop' which is just random sounds and pitches in a very haphazard rhythm. Muse is pretty close to doing that, and I really hope that the rest of the stuff on this album has some more variety and uniqueness to it. Though that's just my opinion of their new song, I'm fully aware that other people may enjoy it and that's totally fine with me. And of course, I'll still probably be buying their new album anyways.

I just want to point out that there is almost zero difference between Christian rock and regular rock. If I posted 3 rock songs, two being Christian, one being non Christian, you probably couldn't even tell the difference. The only real difference is that Christian rock bands never curse. I bet you've never even sat down and listened to a Christian band because you feel like their all "preachy". To tell you the truth, pretty much Skillet is the only one that does that.

^Yeah bouncing off of that, there are tons of Christian rock bands that don't sing with "religious" themes very often. What makes it still considered Christian rock is they don't cuss or sing about sex or drinking or drugs.

Hating all Christian rock is a very wide statement as the bands that could be lumped into that category are all very different from each other.

Comare these four songs that are all considered "Christian rock" but are very different from each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRNXkEAg8ps

That being said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have a right to hate it whether you've listened to very many Christian rock artists or not.

I just want to point out that there is almost zero difference between Christian rock and regular rock. If I posted 3 rock songs, two being Christian, one being non Christian, you probably couldn't even tell the difference. The only real difference is that Christian rock bands never curse. I bet you've never even sat down and listened to a Christian band because you feel like their all "preachy". To tell you the truth, pretty much Skillet is the only one that does that.

Actually, I spent all last summer listening to an entire spectrum of Christian rock (thanks to my very heavily religious extended family with whom I was staying all summer). I'm not one to condemn whole genres, but I couldn't find myself getting into or enjoying a single song played. It all sounded so fake, so forced, so blase'. Like it wasn't about the music at all, like they couldn't care less about musical creativity. It was all just about rehashing the same message over...and over...and over. Sure, there was some variation, but I felt that I'd heard it all long before from "normal" rock bands, and that what I was listening to was exactly the same thing, just with bland, squeaky clean lyrics. I suppose, in the case of Christian Rock, that's more-or-less the point, but whatever-I found much of it to be like nails on a chalkboard.

I even accompanied them to one of those enormous multi-day theme park music festivals last summer while accompanying previously-mentioned extended family) and gave a few of the bands a chance live (as I find that nearly every song can be improved when played through enormous speakers to an awesome crowd). I walked out of every performance after the third or fourth song, wondering why I'd even bothered. I've given then genre plenty of chances...hell, I've been waiting for Christian Rock to impress me since I first had it thrown at me when attending Church when I was young, and it never, ever has.

I'm not saying your liking of it is wrong, or anyone's enjoyment of any genre is somehow wrong. I understand the argument you're trying to make as well (it's quite the same as the case I made for Dubstep just above it). I'm just not one to enjoy the genre...at all, and I have my reasons that I believe are sound.

^Sounds kind of like me and dubstep. My friends follow it religiously, my neighbors all party to it, I gave it a chance (there are even a couple of songs that I kind of like), but the genre simply does nothing for me. When I listen to it, I really don't know what kind of emotions I should be feeling. I always feel out of touch with the artist, even on the songs that I do like. It probably didn't help that my neighbors would repeatedly blast the music through the neighborhood, at times reaching deep into the night hours when I'm trying to sleep, and then it became more annoying to listen to than enjoyable. So while I have a general disdain for dubstep, I'm not like one of those annoying Youtubers who goes from dubstep video to video telling off its listeners. This is the rant thread, you're allowed to have your opinion

BTW, your church played Christian rock? That's awesome! I would have loved to go to your church!

BTW, your church played Christian rock? That's awesome! I would have loved to go to your church!

Only occasionally. I don't remember much else about it really...been out of the whole religion system for so long that my memory has gone kinda fuzzy on it, and all that sticks out was that introduced me to a genre I'll probably never "get".

Actually, I spent all last summer listening to an entire spectrum of Christian rock (thanks to my very heavily religious extended family with whom I was staying all summer). I'm not one to condemn whole genres, but I couldn't find myself getting into or enjoying a single song played. It all sounded so fake, so forced, so blase'. Like it wasn't about the music at all, like they couldn't care less about musical creativity. It was all just about rehashing the same message over...and over...and over. Sure, there was some variation, but I felt that I'd heard it all long before from "normal" rock bands, and that what I was listening to was exactly the same thing, just with bland, squeaky clean lyrics. I suppose, in the case of Christian Rock, that's more-or-less the point, but whatever-I found much of it to be like nails on a chalkboard.

To me Christian rock is the "vanilla" of music genres IMO.

It just seems...generic.

^ & ^^^^

At the risk of beating a dead horse, which bands in particular did you all listen to? Christian rock is a very wide genre that encompasses basically all Contemporary Christian music besides stuff that obviously fits elsewhere (like Gospel). There's much of it I don't care for either and understand can be very annoying, but some of it just doesn't fit that description from my perspective.

Feel free to message me the band names if you remember any of them. As I said, I'm just really curious which ones you're referring to and you definitely have every right to hate the genre if it just doesn't appeal to you.

I forgot to post about this last week. My girl friend and I went to SFDK last week. We got there around 11 and went straight to Roar knowing the line would be long and only get worse later. With school buses in the parking lot we knew it would be a long day. While in line for Roar however it got worse. A group of about 5-6 girls were in front of us. They realized after being in line for about 10 min they couldn't bring their backpacks on the ride. They than proceed to jump the Q-Line right in front of a park employee! They than come back and hop the railing again right in front of us! I yelled to the employee to enforce their line jumping policy and he said "What is that?" I explained to him the policy and he said its ok they can do that. I was so pissed!! If Six Flags does this at all parks I'm never coming again when school groups are there.

^I'm glad she's okay now! That's terrible!

I've been with someone before when they had a seizure and had to call 911. It was very scary and nerve-wracking even though I didn't know the guy very well. I can imagine it must be even more terrifying having that happen to a parent. I hope she's okay. Did you take her to the ER?

I can imagine it must be even more terrifying having that happen to a parent. I hope she's okay. Did you take her to the ER?

She's doing okay now, asleep at the moment. We really couldn't have afforded to take her to the hospital-the cost of it would have made us immediately homeless.

I'm doing my best to keep my head up, but it was easily the most traumatizing thing I've ever experienced. I lead an exceedingly easy and low-key life, so this came as an unparalleled system shock. I'm still reeling, and coupled with the fact that I can't do anything to help right now, it's...just...not good.

Wow that must have been scary, i have a close friend who is seizure prone, but he hasn't had a seizure recently.

My rant is that do people even look when they drive? I was biking the other day, coming down a hill next to a car, when suddenly, without a turn signal or even breaking, he cuts in front of me to turn into a lot. I slam on the brakes and flip head over handlebars, slamming into the backside of the car and almost going under the wheel. And through me and my bike slamming into his car at nearly 20 mph, the driver doesn't even bother to stop and see if I was okay.

My rant is that do people even look when they drive? I was biking the other day, coming down a hill next to a car, when suddenly, without a turn signal or even breaking, he cuts in front of me to turn into a lot. I slam on the brakes and flip head over handlebars, slamming into the backside of the car and almost going under the wheel. And through me and my bike slamming into his car at nearly 20 mph, the driver doesn't even bother to stop and see if I was okay.

My motto: People are crazy.