TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Perhaps a word filter can be made for "Stampede", at least until if it's rumored name is confirmed.

Update: at the park, ran into an employee conducting park surveys when we got to talking about the GCI. Not sure how credible of a source she was but she told me the ride will open memorial day weekend next year, going to have tunnels (scream tubes?) and is going to be 'big'.

Perhaps a word filter can be made for "Stampede", at least until if it's rumored name is confirmed.

Update: at the park, ran into an employee conducting park surveys when we got to talking about the GCI. Not sure how credible of a source she was but she told me the ride will open memorial day weekend next year, going to have tunnels (scream tubes?) and is going to be 'big'.

How about we call it Lockers - the Ride?

Greetings everyone!

Just got back from the park once again with yet another great day. As many of you know, today was the Coasting for Kids event ( I unfortunately was not a part of the event but eventually hung out with Team TPR later). Was a pretty interesting day in terms of getting out there. A little useless background: my car's dead at the moment and had no way of getting out there. I recently discovered that Amtrak takes me right to the park (almost) and I live pretty close to an Amtrak station as well. It all costs about the same as using gas anyway so this is a pretty good, green way of getting out to the park! About the visit: Let's just say that it was pretty hot out there. After a couple rides (Flight Deck, Eagles, and Firefall and Logger's) I headed straight into the water park. Unfortunately 2 of the original slides broke down and when the did open, the lines were huge. Finally (around 3:00 or so) I finally made my way back around toward Grizzly, Demon and the Star Tower for an update on progress. Sadly, I only rode Flight Deck twice but the epicness later in the day more than made up for it.

Some random tidbits: Jackaroo Landing opened up 2 more slides which is pretty cool and I finally checked out the rest of the structure. Pretty fun thing to goof around in! Unfortunately the other 2 larger slides were still closed off. Also with the other TPR members, we discovered that a time capsule was planted in the kiddie area, first time we've seen it. Lastly, as previously mentioned, a park employee was conducting surveys and I decided to stop by this time and check it out. We got to talking about the new attraction after she had asked me about my favorite ride (one of her generic questions). She informed me that Memorial Day Weekend 2013 will be opening day for the coaster and will feature tunnels and stuff like that...which I gather that we'll have plenty of scream sheds/headchoppers. While it is only the 'dippin' dots guy/girl' case, this makes quite a bit of sense in my opinion. Now, I'm just waiting for the survey questions to be emailed to me...I'm curious as to what they are and if they will shape the park's future.

The site: Some of you probably saw it on TPR's Facebook already but a sign was found reading "Wood Coaster Lumber Deliveries Only - No Park Access." Nothing like hiding a secret from us The site itself has markers everywhere and it looks like some drainage lines are being laid down (Pemit page we've been stalking mentioned about some storm drain activity so I'm sure this is it). Star Tower's area facing Pictorium is looking quite bare compared to 2 weeks ago. The grass around the tower's drying and has seen better days but if it's about to be ripped out soon, why bother?

I've now got about 2.5 hours or so left of the day when I happen to run into the 'green mob' over at Drop Tower. Waiting for them at the exit, I tagged along and spent the rest of the day meeting familar and new faces of TPR. When I joined forces, we took over Peanuts Pirates with only a couple seats open for others, filled out the front row on Firefall, took a chunk of Orbit, took about 3 logs to get us through Logger's Run, and the grand finale (before I parted) a full on take over on the Intamin kiddie coaster Woodstock Express! It took probably a couple cycles to get everyone and it was definitely epic. Then it was time to part ways... Those of you who got pictures, I'd love to see them, post them etc... Woodstock was definitely my highlight of the day and was my last ride of the day (a very hilarious one at that).

IMG_0869.jpg.ccd3f7f6e24ee9fb12c694ba2b17f102.jpg

Getting off at the "GAC" Amtrak station, we've got a little walk but not too bad...this actually opened up an opportunity for you sports fans.

IMG_0870.jpg.725882888a9f3dadbae1f6195c03aea8.jpg

Hello former CGA overflow lot/future 49er stadium!

IMG_0871.jpg.66b57d79a0f83cb97ea41b4cd65e0042.jpg

Skip ahead to later in the day when I started snapping...some new signage is up on the door. Visitors? I wonder what the deal is with that?

IMG_0872.jpg.b7c0266cbd6dd7bbffb8c4b847088cd0.jpg

Looking pretty dry and bare! (Note the drying out grass)

IMG_0874.jpg.aaba4d520c555781f97696477814e7fe.jpg

Hmm...what's that white stuff down there?

534261_10150983440843566_892307987_n.jpg.a215d3d14ac43aefdf8a5414478af029.jpg

(Photo taken from TPR's Facebook that someone shared)

Oh, that's what it is!

IMG_0876.jpg.b06ce79f13b613a7cc61de3d48b148d5.jpg

Yup, some lumber appears to have arrived! 'Tis a good sign!

IMG_0877.jpg.66db40b9f3d5eb4ccf2323f1a2907a7d.jpg

The current progress on the site itself.

IMG_0878.jpg.908bcaa1a26e931f0ef84471b8cb2af3.jpg

The 'back end.' The elephant still lives! He's kind of blending in.

IMG_0884.jpg.cbeb04c747a0e5b94d369e2b6c0ad6e0.jpg

And this is when I decided to join the "Green Mob" of TPR members to finish off the day!

IMG_0889.jpg.90c4c0755a50c3b4d1e776369045eaa0.jpg

Yup, end of the day, time to get heading back!

IMG_0890.jpg.3472dfe734bd183472bda8b8517dd0cb.jpg

Ending it with some wood up close!

^^^^^I've wondered about taking Amtrak there before, but not sure I'd ever have a reason to (prices aren't always better than flights for long trips, and sometimes I just road trip it down there). At least it's an option, which can't be said for many parks.

Anyway, sounds like a great park day! And of course I'm always getting more and more psyched about the long-awaited new coaster.

^Yea, I definitely did not mind the exercise, I really needed it anyway. I actually walked from my house to Amtrak, probably 25 minute walk to the station, $12 fare to get down there (pretty quick at that), and probably another 15 minutes to get to the park's gates. I actually liked this method!

Speaking of Splat City, I had heard something about the name change to Nick Central shortly after the Drop Zone incident happened (probably that following season). Not sure how true it is but it does seem to make sense without going into details.

Thanks for the pics AngryGumball! Love to see "wood'! Regarding The Nick Central post you had, that was back in 2003 when they redid Splat City into Nick Central, then of course Planet Snoopy in 2010. When JMA almost bought CGA last year I was afraid Planet Snoopy was gonna be redone again, seemed like that area gets more action than anywhere else from Smurf Woods to Nickelodeon Splat City to Nick Central to Planet Snoopy, lol. Anyways, 2013 can't come soon enough!

Edited by JJnCFL

It was my 1st event I had ever done with TPR.(coasting for kids) I met some really cool people, but unfortenly I didn't get any of their names. I had fun, and can't wait to see them again soon. The group I was with, I would like to get your names or adding as friends on here or Facebook. Thanks.

Speaking of Splat City, I had heard something about the name change to Nick Central shortly after the Drop Zone incident happened (probably that following season). Not sure how true it is but it does seem to make sense without going into details.

Thanks for the pics AngryGumball! Love to see "wood'! Regarding The Nick Central post you had, that was back in 2003 when they redid Splat City into Nick Central, then of course Planet Snoopy in 2010. When JMA almost bought CGA last year I was afraid Planet Snoopy was gonna be redone again, seemed like that area gets more action than anywhere else from Smurf Woods to Nickelodeon Splat City to Nick Central to Planet Snoopy, lol. Anyways, 2013 can't come soon enough!

Awkward... I don't remember making that comment about Splat City.

Awkward... I don't remember making that comment about Splat City.

My bad! I was referring to AG's post which had a quote by you in it, got mixed up, fixed it now!

Stampede is OK, but I just don't want another jungle-themed ride in CGA that seems a bit misplaced. Something like White Lightning or Wildcat would be a better name in my opinion and fit in Celebration Plaza better.

Great America hasn't had a real coaster open in over 10 years. You guys have no right to bitch about the name of it. They could call the thing "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle" and it would still be the best thing to happen to the park in most of your lifetimes.

So, STFU about the name, already. Seriously.

--Robb "Nuff said" Alvey

BEST COASTER NAME EVER!!!! Seriously though Robb is 100% correct and if you don't like the name then call it "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle" I like the name Stampede and I may even call it that

Stampede is OK, but I just don't want another jungle-themed ride in CGA that seems a bit misplaced. Something like White Lightning or Wildcat would be a better name in my opinion and fit in Celebration Plaza better.

Great America hasn't had a real coaster open in over 10 years. You guys have no right to bitch about the name of it. They could call the thing "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle" and it would still be the best thing to happen to the park in most of your lifetimes.

So, STFU about the name, already. Seriously.

--Robb "Nuff said" Alvey

BEST COASTER NAME EVER!!!! Seriously though Robb is 100% correct and if you don't like the name then call it "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle" I like the name Stampede and I may even call it that

I'm totally fine with Stampede or whatever other name they'll probably have in store for it. Since the rumored name was to be Stampede, I've named my Facebook album "Project Stampede" in reference to the rumor.

I don't know why but I have a feeling an announcement is creeping upon us rather fast. I mean, how much longer could the park 'hide' this 'secret' from us?

On one hand you would think at this point they would make an announcement about the coaster but on the other hand you get a lot of people talking and speculating generating a buzz. I don't think we are going to hear for a while.

Even though there is a construction site in CGA, none of my friends know there is a new coaster being built (until I tell them). So, it might not be a secret to enthusiasts, but it's pretty much a secret to the GP.

I was browsing through Google Images and I found this rare photo of Green Vortex, I'm surprised by how similar it looks to Riddler's Revenge.

Linky

(By the way, I am not trying to advertise the link's page, I am not affiliated with the owner of the image)

I preferred that paint job. The Purple and Yellow don't do it for me. I would love if they went back to the old paint style. Hell, I would like to see the ride get ANY paint; it looked tired when I visited last month.

I agree, the old paint job looks much better than the new one.

Was Vortex re-painted into it's current color because Tidal Wave was painted green?