TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'm doing back to back days here at CGA, doing some training sessions of my own. Also yesterday, the ride-op at Peanuts Pirates gave me a high five for an excellent ride. I started spinning it WAY before the ride even started and it just held through the whole ride cycle, I was so dizzy that I had to go sit down for a few minutes.

What is that elephant even from? I grew up going to CGA but don't ever remember that thing.

Stampede is a cool name but I have a feeling they would orient that more towards a horse stampede or something "western" rather than elephant related, but who knows.

Stampede is OK, but I just don't want another jungle-themed ride in CGA that seems a bit misplaced. Something like White Lightning or Wildcat would be a better name in my opinion and fit in Celebration Plaza better.

What is that elephant even from? I grew up going to CGA but don't ever remember that thing.

The elephant was from the water maze, back when it was Nickelodeon. I saw it the other day when scanning some customer family photos, their kid at GA running through the maze. The elephant was in the background. Not sure if it sprayed water or not.

The elephant was from the water maze, back when it was Nickelodeon. I saw it the other day when scanning some customer family photos, their kid at GA running through the maze. The elephant was in the background. Not sure if it sprayed water or not.

It did indeed spray water every once and awhile. I know the elephant was also "beat" up a bit and was used in the Witch Doctors Trail scare zone for a year.

Ah... Makes sense. I hadn't been through there since it was brand new as Splat City, so no wonder I don't remember it. I miss the Smurfs, haha.

Yup, after my 6th grade trip to GA, I was probably a bit 'too grown up' for that section but totally remember Splat City. I remember the water maze (which is still there obviously), but behind that was a huge jungle gym type thing that had slides, cargo nets, etc. I also remember the Smurf Woods as well, I used to run though the mushroom houses when I was little, and making my way back to ride "The Blue Streak" (now Woodstock's Express).

Speaking of Splat City, I had heard something about the name change to Nick Central shortly after the Drop Zone incident happened (probably that following season). Not sure how true it is but it does seem to make sense without going into details.

Off topic but how many off you guys heard the invertigo, excuse me, stinger got stuck on June 6th for an hour. It's apparently getting stuck a lot from what the article said on the dorney park thread.

I find that to be quite funny, we got rid of a great coaster (it had it's good and bad times) and now they're getting the same thing. I was wondering how long it would take for those problems to surface on Stinger.

Stampede is OK, but I just don't want another jungle-themed ride in CGA that seems a bit misplaced. Something like White Lightning or Wildcat would be a better name in my opinion and fit in Celebration Plaza better.

Great America hasn't had a real coaster open in over 10 years. You guys have no right to bitch about the name of it. They could call the thing "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle" and it would still be the best thing to happen to the park in most of your lifetimes.

So, STFU about the name, already. Seriously.

--Robb "Nuff said" Alvey

Great America hasn't had a real coaster open in over 10 years. You guys have no right to bitch about the name of it. They could call the thing "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle" and it would still be the best thing to happen to the park in most of your lifetimes.

--Robb "Nuff said" Alvey

I'm just grateful that we are finally seeing a much needed thing come. While its fun to think of names, that's all secondary. Call it Wood Deck H2o for all it matters, it's gonna be a great ride regardless (based off the 2008 renderings and No Limits creations I've seen).

I'm also excited just to watch this go up!

Hmm... Coaster Man Dumping Waffle, best name yet

--Robb "Nuff said" Alvey

I would be happy with "Coaster Man Taking A Waffle Dump"....

Thanks for the elephant close-up Angry-Gumball! I've seen the picture on pg. 478 before but I never would have noticed the elephant. It's kinda cute. Idk if they'd build the entire theme of the coaster around a leftover elephant, but you never know.

I'm really curious to know where Robb got the name "Coaster Man Dumping Waffle." Totally golden, you should copyright that.