TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Weather underground is what I use for forecast says partly cloudy and 80. Going up to the park Thursday for me then Girl Friend and Boys going Saturday .

I'll keep checking the weather updates to be sure.

Coastercrew has some updates on that activity going on behind rockshop....looks like they're digging for something using the mini excavator....I wonder if it could be for a new path behind rebel yell to access the south end of the park?

^ Weather underground is what I use for forecast says partly cloudy and 80. Going up to the park Thursday for me then Girl Friend and Boys going Saturday .

I'll keep checking the weather updates to be sure.

Coastercrew has some updates on that activity going on behind rockshop....looks like they're digging for something using the mini excavator....I wonder if it could be for a new path behind rebel yell to access the south end of the park?

I went to the park today and for starters the north side of Rebel Yell is tight! New track has slowed it down some compared to South side. Only North side ran today with one train . I305 ran like a champ as always with just 1 train. Valcano was running 1 train with no flames . Backlot ran white and blue all day with no flames( thank god) . I Got a ride in on Grizzly no disappointment there . Went down into the Water Works to get some sun on and try not to get injured as last Saturday episode. I am proud to say that no bones headaches or concrete burns. With that said I did get a little to much sun. All in all the park was not crowded at all and most rides we rode were walk on or 5 minutes or less. Will have a few pics up in a bit need to resize and all that such....

Sounds good,perhaps the reason northside was closed was related to the work they're doing over by rock shop that I mentioned earlier?

Grizz is running the best it's ever been in the 30 years since it debutted,I havn't ridden southside rebel yell yet this year though but northside's retracking really smoothened it out.

Appaerently I am a goober non picture taker only got a few pics in plus seems every time I go to the park my phone does a update and drains the Battery. Not to worry Friday next week I am getting a new Camera that is water proof/ Resistant .

1471730527_Dom1.thumb.jpg.f822c26471b3d7dd4013ff6b9887f1c3.jpg

Dominator on another run

780965501_IMG_20120531_110036andy2.thumb.jpg.29bcb2c66e24014fdb9205edde48d256.jpg

Andaconda doing it's thing

168822910_TB2.thumb.jpg.b3531a8555caa6a96fd60c261cb62a7c.jpg

Nothing like a great view!!!!!!!

IMG_20120526_170158no2.thumb.jpg.3c967ff9892e3028eb1e5ee9bfc761ee.jpg

This is Bridget my Girl Friend and yes she plans to become a TPR forum member and a clubber. lol Up till this year she hadn't rode to many roller coasters now she has ridden all but I 305 FoF and Volcano. She got the nerve up today to ride Drop Tower and almost Volcano but since no fat man seats on Volcano she didn't want to ride alone.

1167336221_Droptowerre.thumb.jpg.b18ddb7046f918216c92d0e041bbd806.jpg

First time Bridget rode a Drop Tower and yes there is a video you can hear her scream all the way down.

Yeah, the retracking entering the tunnel on Grizzly has done WONDERS for it being more enjoyable. It was always one of the top rides there, in my opinion, but lessening that jolt to the left was a great decision!

Amen to that.

I was suprised by how smooth that section has been this year & it makes it so I can actually enjoy multiple night rides without having to call it quits early because of all the laterals in the ride,now if it weren't for my GF refusing to ride as much at night I could stay on longer but hate to keep her waiting so I still have to cut mynight rides a bit short.

I heard on another KD board that a crane was spotted behind rock shop,I'll take a look at it on saturday while on windseeker & or americana.What with CP being pretty much confirmed to be getting a wingrider it makes me wonder if that'll also be KD's next coaster?

As much as I would love to see another B&M at Kings Dominion, I don't see it happening. KD just got a $25 million (I think?) giga coaster 2 years ago, so I wouldn't think they would spend too much money on a new B&M. And there isn't anywhere to put a coaster in that section of the grove unless they tore out Rebel Yell or something .

I heard on another KD board that a crane was spotted behind rock shop,I'll take a look at it on saturday while on windseeker & or americana.What with CP being pretty much confirmed to be getting a wingrider it makes me wonder if that'll also be KD's next coaster?

As much as I would love to see another B&M at Kings Dominion, I don't see it happening. KD just got a $25 million (I think?) giga coaster 2 years ago, so I wouldn't think they would spend too much money on a new B&M. And there isn't anywhere to put a coaster in that section of the grove unless they tore out Rebel Yell or something .

Edit:Finally home from my trip to KD saturday.The funniest thing happened on ricochet as my GF & I were riding when her cell rings & she takes it out & answers it!!I so wish I had a camera to photograph the event as I'm suprised she managed to hold on to it for the rest of the ride but of course I was on the ride with her at the time.

Due to construction on 95 northbound I didn't get home till 3 am & speaking of construction....it looks to me like the work going on near rock shop might be for a food or info stand as the perimeter has been established & it's not a FL path for Ricochet & seems too small to be for a flat ride of any kind.

As much as I would LOVE a new coaster, I don't think it is going to happen. We just got a brand spankin new Intamin giga coaster.

Yeah....going on 3 years ago.

Things were pretty busy yesterday but the funniest thing that happen was on ricochet,my GF & I were riding & she gets a call on her cell halfway through & was actually talking on the phone for the remainder of the ride!!I was right there next to her when it happened so I'm not making it up.

I didn't get home till 3 am this morning thanks to the darn construction on 95 northbound,they had both the left & center lanes closed for repaving work so there was a huge bottleneck trying to get through so a word of advice is that if you're from the DC/mtro region avoid 95 northbound from KD like the plaugeor take route 1 or route 17 from Fredericksburg as an alternate to bypass that mess.

Does anyone know if the star trek theme plays on windseeker? during our ride it seemed like that was the track that was playing but I can't quite put my finger on it for sure.

Does anyone know if the star trek theme plays on windseeker? during our ride it seemed like that was the track that was playing but I can't quite put my finger on it for sure.

I haven't been to KD but they are playing the Star Trek theme (among other songs) on the Windseeker at CP, so its certainly possible.

^ A cell phone is a loose article... She shouldn't have had it out on Ricochet.

And how's the minor construction going next to Rock Shop?

I think they're adding a booth of some kind over there as the pad is a bit small for a flatride & has some other components set in the middle,possibly for plumbing or electrical.I do agree she should've just missed the call but I'm still suprised that she held onto it the whole time.

Just got back from a quick double trip - KD on Saturday and Busch Gardens on Sunday.

I wanted to give some feedback on Fastlane as I wanted to try it out before our trip to Cedar Point later this summer. It was definitely a splurge. Me and my 3 sons were $160 total. The park wasn't THAT crowded that we needed to fastlane but it was crowded enough that it helped...quite a bit.

Random thoughts:

1. Look at the list of rides supported closely - no Grizzly, Rebel Yell, or Anaconda. Granted, none of these had very large lines Saturday but the Fastlane definitely doesn't work on all coaster. Just don't get it expecting to walk on any ride you want. Odd inclusions were Blueridge tollway and Flying Eagles. I suspect they threw in some flat rides which had easy fastlane access already.

2. We didn't get any dirty looks or comments from the non-fastlane public. Of course, walking on Flight of Fear, we didn't see any of the poor suckers waiting for at least an hour as the Fastlane entrance is through the exit.

3. I did feel guilty at first walking right by a long line of people waiting to ride. I got over it quickly.

4. You really do just walk right into the loading station for almost all rides supported. I can't remember waiting more than 5 minutes to get on any ride. For some, like Flight of Fear, we practically walked right onto the train since they had a grouper holding back the general line.

5. Be prepared to ride a LOT of rides if you buy fastlane. I felt all day that I had to get my money's worth and ride as much as possible. By the end of the day, I was whipped. I believe we rode I305 8x, FoF 5x, Windseeker 6x, Droptower 5x, Dominator 6x, etc. The park was crowded enough that by my estimate we rode 5x as many rides as we could have without it. I can see on VERY crowded days that this number could be even higher.

6. You only get 2 rides on Volcano but despite what they say, you can sometimes get front seat. On Saturday, they were pooling the fastlane riders until there were enough to fill an entire train. We happened to be at the front of the fastlane riders and could choose any row on the train. Front row is outstanding! The way it works is they use a ballpoint pen and make a small mark on your fastlane wristband to show you've ridden once. As it happens, they forgot to mark us once so we got a 3rd ride in. On our 3rd ride, they weren't pooling fastlane riders so they told us which row to go to (row 5 for us).

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy Fastlane this summer.

Oh...forgot to mention. I saw a few pages back where someone (KDCoasterFan?) said Grizzly was running better than ever. I believe we were on a train with a problematic wheel or something. In fact, they shut the ride down after our trip. It was MUCH rougher than even our previous visit this spring. I'm not a Grizzly expert but this was the roughest ride I've ever had on it.

Both sides of Rebel Yell were running on Saturday, at least before evening. They shut the right side down sometime before 8pm. This ride is certainly the smoothest I've ever ridden it. We were sitting 2nd seat from back (not over wheels) but man was it a smooth ride. It felt like we were riding on air cushion. On each bottom, I was expecting the typical hard knock and jolt up my back but it was smooth as butter. Great ride!

Hurler was rough as usual. Just terrible. It needs the retracking like Carowinds Hurler got 2 winters ago.

I305 was running great, as usual. They were actively spraying down the wheels which seemed odd because it was only 70ish out. This was my first trip though where I left the day with bruised shoulders from the OTSR straps. I've ridden it multiple times a day, multiple trips, and have never had that bruising. I hope this isn't indicative of the padding breaking down in the straps. Might have just been my shoulders getting older. Can I just say here that CP needs to replace Maverick's OTSR with the straps. AmIRight?

Even though I've had my allotment of kids, I didn't feel ready to be Shockwaved...down there. We skipped it as usual.

This was my first trip riding Windseeker at KD. Excellent addition to the park. Great views from up high and a nice, relaxing breeze. Certainly not a thrill ride but a lovely experience.

Oh...forgot to mention. I saw a few pages back where someone (KDCoasterFan?) said Grizzly was running better than ever. I believe we were on a train with a problematic wheel or something. In fact, they shut the ride down after our trip. It was MUCH rougher than even our previous visit this spring. I'm not a Grizzly expert but this was the roughest ride I've ever had on it.

Something must have been off - my rides this season were definitely smoother than ever before!

Speaking of Grizzly, is there ever a chance of them running two trains again (or do they do that during busy summer days when I'm avoiding the place)? Or does that ride not even get a line then?

[Rebel Yell] is certainly the smoothest I've ever ridden it. We were sitting 2nd seat from back (not over wheels) but man was it a smooth ride. It felt like we were riding on air cushion.

Yeah, if there's one woodie that KD has really kept up consistently, it's Rebel Yell. The outbound run is arguably the best airtime in the entire park, next to the first half of I305! And it's been running smooth for a while now, which is even better!

Can I just say here that CP needs to replace Maverick's OTSR with the straps. AmIRight?

My boyfriend says this every time we ride I305. I prefer Maverick, and he would too - only if it had the straps. Seriously great decision on Kings Dominion/Intamin's part!

I LOVE Fast Lane at Cedar Fair parks!!!!!! Way better than the Q-Bot that Six Flags has. I HATE having to remember times and all. I think they all should just use the Fast Lane option and just limit how many they sell every day. I wish at least all coasters were included in it. For the amount you pay they could at least offer that. At least when I got it at KI only one coaster was not included - Flight Deck.

I LOVE Fast Lane at Cedar Fair parks!!!!!! Way better than the Q-Bot that Six Flags has. I HATE having to remember times and all. I think they all should just use the Fast Lane option and just limit how many they sell every day. I wish at least all coasters were included in it. For the amount you pay they could at least offer that. At least when I got it at KI only one coaster was not included - Flight Deck.

Have you used Q-bots recently? You haven't been able to "miss" a ride for awhile now so keeping track of time isn't really an issue anymore. Instant access is nice, I still like the control Q-bots give parks and how it lets me know when rides break or reopen.

I feel like they have enough coasters on in each park too- does Flight Deck, Anaconda, or Grizzly ever even have a line? It's on the ones that matter, and I know if I were ever to get one I'd much prefer the Eagle Flyers over any other coasters KD could offer!

Speaking of Grizzly, is there ever a chance of them running two trains again (or do they do that during busy summer days when I'm avoiding the place)? Or does that ride not even get a line then?

I was there a few Saturdays ago (Mothers Day weekend) and there were 2 trains, no line.

Excited to get back for Coasting for Kids next weekend!

if it works as fast gardaland pass, then it is really useless done purely to make money and to lengthen the normal tail out of proportion, I prefer 1000 times q bot!

All of the "skip the line" programs (fastlane/flashpass etc.) work in the manner you described & yes it is a money making scheme....otherwise there'd be no incentive to do from the park's POV.

Coasterfreak:Grizz has been running both trains on all of my visits so far this season & that's on saturdays with minimal lines,I guess people still aren't aware of the ride's existence in that corner of the park because even during the day you can get on with a minimal amount of time spent in line....now if more additions are made nearby in the near future then that may change as all of the coasters in congo were packed to the gills on saturday given their close proximity to one another.