TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best British coaster

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say Nemesis as my favourite of our British coasters. Oblivion is also very close to the top as I really enjoy that ride, it's short, yes but it packs a punch and it's just excellent.

I would have to say Nemesis as my favourite of our British coasters. Oblivion is also very close to the top as I really enjoy that ride, it's short, yes but it packs a punch and it's just excellent.

Definitely agree with oblivion being highly commended

I think the question should be which is the best coaster in the UK excluding Nemesis, since Nemesis is considered one of the best coasters in the world. It will most likely be mentioned alot on this topic. But anyway, to answer the question it would be The Swarm.

I think the question should be which is the best coaster in the UK excluding Nemesis, since Nemesis is considered one of the best coasters in the world. It will most likely be mentioned alot on this topic. But anyway, to answer the question it would be The Swarm.

Apart from Nemesis, I would say Oblivion but I know lots of people don't like it but for me, it's up high on my favourite UK coasters. Another of my favourites has to be Wild Mouse at Blackpool, What a ride! Would prefer riding that over Stealth or others. I know it's rough and violent but it's just a great ride and one of the last of a dwindling ride style.

Apart from Nemesis, I would have to agree with Neil on this one. Oblivion is a VERY high contender for my top spot. Yes, it's very short and doesn't do much. However, the one thing it does do is pulled off incredibly well, having one of the most intense drops of any coaster I have been on. I honestly think that the drop on Oblivion far surpasses that of Griffon, having been the only other Dive Machine I have experienced.

Saw: The Ride. I was surprised by the amount of airtime on it.

The Wild Mouse at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is thrilling and fun. I wasn't expecting that to have so much of a punch to it.

I love the Pepsi Max Big One, but I can see why other people don't like.The layout isn't the best but it's other things about it that make me enjoy it more than I should. The colours, the markers of height as you go up the lift hill and the setting by the sea.

Nemesis is brilliant and is probably going to be the name that comes up the most. It's "sequel" Nemesis: Inferno is a decent inverted too, but is generic in comparison.

I've heard good things about Megaphobia, but haven't ridden that one yet.

If you don't think it is Nemesis there is something seriously wrong with you. But I'll put Blackpool's Wild Mouse in 2nd place.

Nemmy is brilliant but I do think it has some competition.

I also believe it is the best (if not Saw The ride)

But I'll see what the big one is like and perhaps I'll change my mind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even those who don't see things clearly.

and I mistakenly said Wild Mouse is the second best, I forgot about Dragon's Fury.

I don't even think Saw would make my Top 10 in the UK.

Edited by larrygator

Some of the quotes I totally agree with.

If you don't think it is Nemesis there is something seriously wrong with you
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even those who don't see things clearly

Saw is a pile of manure

Nemesis is world class, I'd like to add Megafobia as a honorable mention

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I accept that completely. I just find it strange that Saw isn't so popular. I thought it was more thrilling than the other rides at Thorpe Park and the theming made the whole thing even better. Why does it get a hard time?

Here is my top 10 British coasters:

1 Nemesis

2 Grand National

3 Stealth

4 Wild Mouse

5 Saw: The Ride

6 Rita

7 The Swarm

8 Thirteen

9 Big Dipper

10 Colossus

^ I do actually really like Thirteen, it is highly rerideable and really good fun.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned X:\ No Way Out!

EDIT: If anyone is interested here is my bottom 5 (not including kiddy coasters, worst first):

1 X:\ No Way Out!!! (Infamously crap coaster, ride it every time I go for laughs)

2 Wall's Twister Ride (Reverchon Spinner...)

3 Infusion (It's an SLC...)

4 Air (Plain dull)

5 G Force (Would actually be a fairly decent coaster without the restraints trying to kill you!)

Edited by RollerCoasterSmi

I liked X:/No Way Out just because I had no idea what to expect, no idea what was going on during it and no idea what had happened after it.

The whole experience is a bit blurry (Especially all of the bits where you just sit in the dark puzzled)

^X:\No Way Out

So bad, it's actually a bit endearing.

It is a WTF? kind of coaster. I would expect it from a small park but not a large park like Thorpe.

For best, my vote like most others is Nemesis at Alton.

There is a book about British Coasters. OK it's circa 1996, but it offers an interesting and humorous look at what us Brits had at the time (Many since lost!)

[bOOK 117] A.G. PRESTON: BRITAIN'S GREATEST COASTERS. [1996]

(14x21cm - 232 Pages - Many B&W photos). There have been many books written on the history of roller coasters both in the States and in Europe, but none have put forward Britain's best. That is what this publication sets out to do. Also features an interesting introduction: a year -by- year look at roller coaster milestones, from the Russian ice slides of the 16th & 17th Centuries, to 1996 and Megafobia! Chapter Points/Contents: Introduction; How It All Began; PMBO; Nemesis; Shockwave; Ultimate; Grand National; Vampire; Big Dipper; Wild Mouse; Texas Tornado (Morecambe); Cyclone (Southport); The Woodies Fight Back!; Other Sparkling Coasters; European Coasters; The RCCGB; Coaster Manufacturers; My Record; The Future; Coaster Terminology.

S.A.S. Baynham

Nemesis is the best rollercoaster in Britain. Although others do deserve a mention.

Grand National- The airtime is crazy and the ride is pure fun!

Pepsi Max Big One- It's the tallest coaster in the UK, and a really fun one too!

Big Dipper- Total fun and an exelent ride.

Rita- Such a fun ride and has some nice pops of airtime.

Oblivion- An amazing experience.

Th13teen- It's a revolutionary ride and is really fun.

Stealth- An interesting ride but i've only ridden it once so I can't claim anything towards it.

Colossuss- The rides great and the last 5 inversions are scary.

Also, Megafobia is my second favourite coaster. Although it's Welsh, it deserves a mention!