TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

How have the crowds been this year?? I have grew up going to CGA back in the late 80's and 90's. I haven't been in about 12 years. This is the park that got me into the Amusement Park industry and to love Roller Coasters. I still remember the opening year of Top Gun! I am going to be in the Bay this weekend and thinking about going on Monday Memorial Day. Going to be huge crowds? I may try and wait and do Tuesday. What do you guys think?

^CGA has seen more crowds so far this season. I'd expect it to be pretty busy this weekend. Let's just say that last weekend, Flight Deck's line was using 2 'zig zags' on the ramp, before heading up to the roll up doors. This was around 5-ish on a Sunday, no events going on. If you haven't been there in a while and won't be going any time soon after your visit, I'd recommend a weekday. Grizzly's line moves slowish due to the added seatbelt that most guests completely ignore as much as it's announced.

^Wow didn't think you can get crazy rides like that on Flying Eagles!

I've had some pretty crazy rides myself but none coming even remotely close to a full 360....gonna have to hit the birds at KD next weekend & see what sort of "trouble" I can get into.

CGA does seem to have been on a restraint rampage, but I didn't notice any difference in the belts of Flight Deck. They felt like regular B&M length to me when I rode earlier this season. Even though I'm a bit more chubby than I'de like, I've never had to worry about belt length though so I could easily have not noticed.

Changing topics, the conversation being had about SFDK's late construction times on that thread made me think about how nice it is to see CGA acting like a normal theme park and getting the new coaster going already. I think the last time I've seen a park open a major ride on opening day in the bay area had to have been Stealth. Going to be a fun year watching this thing go up.

I went to CGA today on my day off, kind of wish I hadn't. When you see 30+ school buses in the parking lot, you know it's going to be a long day.

I did get to see some bulldozing action though! They haven't made much more progress, but it was cool to see them digging, moving dirt, flattening, etc. Something interesting I noticed: They dug a long ditch, which extended from the construction zone, and all the way to Great America Parkway, which was causing some roadwork and traffic delays.

Also, they blocked off a big chunk of the preferred parking with a fence, you can no longer park next to the Pictorium.

Firefall's joined the Fast Lane party, the line's got a new staircase.

I know we were talking about the wheels used earlier, how would it's speed potentially compare to Apocalypse at SFMM with ours slated to having a larger height and drop, that is assuming they use 2 different wheel types as Apocalypse isn't even close to being a quiet ride

I was just invited to see the new ice show at CGA on a preview night. Happiness Is...SNOOPY!

What makes it cool is that we get to park in the employee lot, which I guess means a quick backstage walk through in order to get to the front of the park. (which will be closed) So, i'll be sure to post about it later tomorrow after the show.

Was out at the park today, wasn't that crowded. The new coaster site had survey markers out on it today and the area of the parking lot nearest the Star Tower was fenced off probably for preparation for construction and grading in that area. Other than that lines weren't long didn't wait more than 5 min for anything all day.

From what I'm seeing, nothing has been torn up around the tower. This is making me wonder if we well have that awesome first drop wrapping around the tower. Unless they're going to shred that up soon, I'm beginning to wonder.

Relax.

Its still WAY early.

Here are the photos from today, i think that area that is being blocked off in the parking lot might be for wood storage or part of the construction, i guess we will see eventually

135807231_photo2.thumb.jpg.21d99fe5a82cce726b2b3a919be14b67.jpg

new fence in the parking lot

1087470127_photo3.thumb.JPG.f0cca052d0081ddd9734b96a45090701.JPG

overview of the site today

^Thanks for sharing!

^^Maybe I am getting a little anxious. Since that area's pretty level compared to the area 'out back' I can't imagine it taking as long...I keep telling myself that maybe they haven't touched that area yet so there's no interference with the Star Tower operations for the time being...especially since the park *just* got into daily operation, it would be kind of a fail if they 'disabled' a signature family attraction just as the peak started. I am curious as to how that's all going to work with Star Tower operations once things get rolling over that direction.

Thinking ahead, I'm kind of hoping (ok, not kind of, more of really hoping) that once the coaster goes in, there will be some landscaping back there...as in some trees and whatnot. I can imagine trees helping dampen out the noise as well as keeping with CGA 'tradition' of nicely landscaped areas of the park. And night rides in an area with trees would be pretty cool, much like riding Demon and Grizzly at night.

^Thanks for sharing!

^^Maybe I am getting a little anxious. Since that area's pretty level compared to the area 'out back' I can't imagine it taking as long...I keep telling myself that maybe they haven't touched that area yet so there's no interference with the Star Tower operations for the time being...especially since the park *just* got into daily operation, it would be kind of a fail if they 'disabled' a signature family attraction just as the peak started. I am curious as to how that's all going to work with Star Tower operations once things get rolling over that direction.

Thinking ahead, I'm kind of hoping (ok, not kind of, more of really hoping) that once the coaster goes in, there will be some landscaping back there...as in some trees and whatnot. I can imagine trees helping dampen out the noise as well as keeping with CGA 'tradition' of nicely landscaped areas of the park. And night rides in an area with trees would be pretty cool, much like riding Demon and Grizzly at night.

What is probably going to happen is that Star Tower will be closed in August and re-open in March with the new coaster. Really, Star Tower doesn't have that much of an impact on the park as it doesn't have that high of ridership since there never is a line.

I was just invited to see the new ice show at CGA on a preview night. Happiness Is...SNOOPY!

What makes it cool is that we get to park in the employee lot, which I guess means a quick backstage walk through in order to get to the front of the park. (which will be closed) So, i'll be sure to post about it later tomorrow after the show.

I've already watched it twice, one of the perks of working in Entertainment It's a great show and the set is really well done. If I knew what you looked like i'd say hi but I don't

I've already watched it twice, one of the perks of working in Entertainment It's a great show and the set is really well done. If I knew what you looked like i'd say hi but I don't

Well I will be there in a TPR shirt, so I think it'll be easy to find me.

Well I will be there in a TPR shirt, so I think it'll be easy to find me.

You Definitely saw me, I was the one out keeping that line entertained

Awesome and you also found that new favorite spot in the fence.

Ok, so Happiness is Snoopy is easily the best production show the CGA has ever produced. The sets were all really nice, the music really flowed, I also really liked the dedication video in the beginning. The costumes were all very spectacular, may favorite being when the girls switched from the bulky crayon costume to the tutu crayon. Everyone in this show has amazing talent. It's definately a show that I would watch again and again.

Now Clayton invited me back to the park today to have a tour of the show, so I get to go behind the scenes today.

At the park now, waits are not too bad, I waited 10 mins for Flight Deck. There was some work going on in the construction site, mainly just dirt moving. Now I'm about to watch Happiness is Snoopy. I have some pictures to post when I get back home.

EDIT: Im back from a short visit at the park, just as I was leaving it seemed that the waits started to increase some. Compared to the morning, there was hardly any waits for some of the major rides. To my surprise when I entered the park today I heard the sound of construction equipment! It seems like they want to get this coaster built so they can do all of the sound testing. Now on to the pictures!

IMG_0628.thumb.jpg.20a7357c6c35954c4c7fcd233948b9a9.jpg

It's still dirt but there are people working today!

IMG_0629.thumb.jpg.c6ab9e12ad248a6b35a3f8bb49e9b7a9.jpg

Still just dirt but I think we will see some construction soon!

rsz_img_0637.thumb.jpg.1f8811ef0afa143ff77dbcdbc142d426.jpg

On the other side of the blocked off part of parking lot there is only a white trailer.

IMG_0634.thumb.jpg.a20749fbd2be67bd11d6129611b4618b.jpg

Here is my mini review for the show, The show is put together really well, and if your at the park GO SEE IT! I was also surprised at how fast some of the performers seemed to switch costumes.

Edited by robman