California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg.932 - Coverage of CGA's Haunt Media Event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed May 23, 2012 3:14 pm

rolercstrluvr wrote:^ sweet pics Angry_Gumball. Just thought that i'd share my crazy ride I had on the Flying Eagles today. Maybe two spins into the cycle, I start to see my car rotate and does a full 360 mid ride. The ride op didn't stop the ride at all and just let it keep going. I was pretty scared after that and shaky.

Whoa!!! I didn't think that was even possible.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed May 23, 2012 3:35 pm

rolercstrluvr wrote:^ sweet pics Angry_Gumball. Just thought that i'd share my crazy ride I had on the Flying Eagles today. Maybe two spins into the cycle, I start to see my car rotate and does a full 360 mid ride. The ride op didn't stop the ride at all and just let it keep going. I was pretty scared after that and shaky.

Well that's understandable; I've freaked out on the Knoebels Flyers over much less (though the bizarre feelings are actually what keep me going). :p

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby rolercstrluvr » Wed May 23, 2012 4:12 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:

Whoa!!! I didn't think that was even possible.

As soon as I spun around I was like, wtf just happened. Even people in line were freaking out.
Gold Striker Ride count: 308

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed May 23, 2012 5:27 pm

The most I've done was a full turn facing backwards. This was last year during Haunt, before I really knew what I was doing on the Flyers. I think just beginning go figure some things out and a nice breeze caused me to face the rider behind me.

My most recent ride on their flyers was pretty crazy, but not like Rolercsterluver's. Instead, mine felt like the whole thing was going to fall apart and had several thuds/snaps. I had to tell myself to tone it down while everyone in line was like "Woah!" I really wouldn't mind having one of these in my backyard one of these days. Really, it's all about timing and being quick without being 'violent' with the fin.

For what it's worth, I noticed some updates on the Permit Center site.

605 REC'D THIRD PTY APP PLNS
3RD PARTY APPROVED PLANS ~ Rec'vd 4 sets of plans, 2 sets of structural
calcs, 2 copies of book six zone 2, 2 copies of book five zone 3, 2 copies of
book eight 1 of 2 & 2 of 2, 3 copies of bent # 145, 3 copies of bent # 84, & 3
copies of bent # 518, 2 copies of book one design criteria, 2 copies of book
three general foundation analysis, 2 copies book four foundation analysis -
zone 1, 2 copies of book two typical structure & connections. 2 copies of C-10,
2 copies of application signed (placed in plan check folder) , 2 sets of calcs.
All routed to PNA. Contact: Lowell (408) 986-5874

Not sure what this means in terms of what kind of activity we'll be seeing in the coming month but following this project is making this season a good one so far.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby JeffyJosephNorCal » Wed May 23, 2012 7:41 pm

^Wow didn't think you can get crazy rides like that on Flying Eagles!
HAVE A GOLDY DAY!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby cmoney23 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:09 pm

How have the crowds been this year?? I have grew up going to CGA back in the late 80's and 90's. I haven't been in about 12 years. This is the park that got me into the Amusement Park industry and to love Roller Coasters. I still remember the opening year of Top Gun! I am going to be in the Bay this weekend and thinking about going on Monday Memorial Day. Going to be huge crowds? I may try and wait and do Tuesday. What do you guys think?

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 pm

^CGA has seen more crowds so far this season. I'd expect it to be pretty busy this weekend. Let's just say that last weekend, Flight Deck's line was using 2 'zig zags' on the ramp, before heading up to the roll up doors. This was around 5-ish on a Sunday, no events going on. If you haven't been there in a while and won't be going any time soon after your visit, I'd recommend a weekday. Grizzly's line moves slowish due to the added seatbelt that most guests completely ignore as much as it's announced.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed May 23, 2012 8:59 pm

JeffyJosephNorCal wrote:^Wow didn't think you can get crazy rides like that on Flying Eagles!

I've had some pretty crazy rides myself but none coming even remotely close to a full 360....gonna have to hit the birds at KD next weekend & see what sort of "trouble" I can get into.

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 pm

I was told from an employee that they shortened the seatbelts for Flight Deck. Is that true?
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 am

You know I'm not sure. They do feel a bit shorter as it left me wondering if I really put that much weight on during this past off season. Vortex's still feel about the same length and Drop Tower's are adjustable (which I like).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!