Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Verbolten Blogger Media Day
As I think at least a few of you are aware, Busch Gardens Williamsburg “officially” opens their newest attraction, Verbolten, tomorrow (May 18). But, as usual, there are plenty of “pre-opening” festivities, including today’s event, the “Verbolten Blogger Media Day” (May 17).

The park actually held a media day for print and television on May 16, but set aside a separate day for the online audience, which was a bit more low key. There was no initial “press conference,” or any speeches, but members of the Busch management team were available for interviews, and everyone had a chance for a personal video on Verbolten, complete with audio for commentary (riders will be able to purchase a more “standard” silent onride video when Verbolten opens).

There were some sound glitches with the video, which required pretty much the whole group to shoot an extra one, which won’t be available until tonight. But, what the heck, that just gave everyone a chance to ride multiple times—and possibly experience each of the ride’s three “storylines,” as I did.

So, how is Verbolten? Before I launch into my opinion, here are a few facts about the ride. Enthusiasts like facts, don’t they?

Ride Manufacturer: Zierer (Deggendorf, Germany)
Type of Ride: Multi-launch coaster
Special Features: Two launches, environmental theme elements, sound and light effects, high speed turns, free fall drop, and an 88-foot final drop to the water.
Track Length: 2,835 feet
Maximum Speed: 53 mph
Ride Duration: 90 seconds
Seats/Train: 5 trains, 16 seats per train
Ride Height Requirement: 48 inches

In fact, this ride marks the end of BGW’s “revamp” of Oktoberfest.

As for the ride itself, I think the park got what it wanted: a very enjoyable “family” coaster to replace the old Big Bad Wolf (only with a taller height requirement—the same as for the Loch Ness Monster). The launched sections are quite forceful—you really feel the “kick” in the back row (which also has a few more pops of airtime than the front, as you’d expect).

The enclosed “Black Forest” section is very disorienting—nice and dark, with some excellent lighting and sound effects. I think the “Wolf” story works best, thanks to its strong use of sound (howls, snarls, and snapping tree branches). The drop section seems to pack more punch than what they have at Legoland in Denmark, even though it only freefalls about 15 feet or so.

Sound also comes into play on the ride’s “collapsing bridge” finale, which should be particularly effective after dark.

As for the “rattle” and “roughness” some noted during last weekend’s “technical rehearsals,” the only place where I encountered this was in the very back—and it still wasn’t as “rough” as the old Big Bad Wolf used to be. No, I wouldn’t call this a “rough” ride at all, although I prefer the front seat to the back (mainly for the view). For me, this was a coaster that got better the more times I rode it.

Here's a look at what went on--if I can just get my car started . . .

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

Verbolten On-Ride Video:

Verbolten POV:
01.jpg
Time to check in.
02.jpg
The park is offering quite an assortment of Verbolten-inspired pins . . .
03.jpg
. . . as shown by our model here. There will be a special set of "puzzle-piece" pins just for season passholders, as well.
06.jpg
Everyone's waiting for the ride to get up and running.
07.jpg
I chatted a bit with Brian Morrow, corporate creative director for SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, about the ride's story. The idea was to give guests a transition between Oktoberfest Village and the "legend" of the Black Forest; so, the best way to do that was through the eyes of two "locals."
08.jpg
And here they are: Gerta and Gunter Schwartzwald. She runs the business and sells the tours, while her brother maintains their fleet of cars (and spies on poor tourists who blunder into the Black Forest with his strategically placed "Gunter cams"). The artifacts inside the queue reflect the history of the village, as well as the objects Gunter has retrieved from abandoned cars he's found in the Black Forest.
09.jpg
Gunter assures me that he'll have this old Prosche up and running in no time--so no worries, Scott!
10.jpg
Let's have a look inside.
12.jpg
Looks like Gerta has a few customers already.
12a.jpg
This gnome looks worried. Should I be?
13.jpg
Hey, looks like it's my turn at the desk.
14.jpg
Now I can "fahrt all over Bavaria."
15.jpg
"Gunter's creepy office" definitely contrasts with "Gerta's cheerful shop."
16.jpg
Gunter was happy to tell me all about his cars and hidden cameras.
17.jpg
"Gunter, why are you boring our guests?"
18.jpg
If the needle is heading toward the Christmas tree, the forest is "happy" . . . looks like we're in trouble!
19.jpg
Here are some more "Gunter cams"--check these out while you're in the queue (and listen for Gunter's phone messages, as well).
22a.jpg
OK, let's make sure everybody understands the safety regs before boarding.
22.jpg
I love how they've made over the old Big Bad Wolf station into Gunter's garage--right down to the "oil stains" on the floor. Gerta also assured me that they will keep all their customers' belongings safe, should they ever return.
23.jpg
Here's a look at the GoPro camera mounted on the red train (they ran the green train, too--without a camera).
24.jpg
Is everyone ready for their close-up?
25.jpg
Did the camera catch all that?
25a.jpg
The sexy red train returns.
26.jpg
While you're waiting for your assigned camera time, why not try the green train?
26a.jpg
Yes, there's a lot to be said for the green train, too.
28.jpg
Remember: It's the "Year of Zierer"!
29.jpg
In fact, some execs from Zierer were there checking out the station.
30.jpg
Here's where guests can purchase their onride videos and photos . . .
31.jpg
. . . along with other swag.
32.jpg
And for those of you who were wondering, yes, the old waterfall is back. Now what're you waiting for--go ride Verbolten!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat May 19, 2012 5:50 pm.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby TXman308 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Nice report. Can't wait for the POV/commentary. Was I the only one who thought Gunter was going to be a really fat person? Guess I was wrong. ;)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 17, 2012 1:51 pm

^You know, I thought Gunter would be a heavset guy, too--and Gerta was hotter than I'd expected. ;)

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Schotcher » Thu May 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I always thought they were husband and wife...and I also thought he was going to be heavy. Great photos and report! Just wondering, did they say they were going to plant any trees near the Rhine Drop? Or do they want to keep things as it is?

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Awesome report. Looking forward to riding later this summer.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Thu May 17, 2012 2:21 pm

This whole thing looks so good! Again, three cheers to the creative team. Can't wait to check this out.
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Postby crazywolf88 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm

^^^Gunter is a heavier sounding name, I also thought the same thing.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm

^So, anyone named "Gunter" is immediately doomed to be fat? ;)

Postby crazywolf88 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm

^Exactly. ;)

On another note, some official POVs are going around youtube. They seem to be filmed in the same fashion Cheetah Hunt was shot.

Here's my personal favorite:CLICKY
He wasn't ready for the black forest :lmao:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Thu May 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Good stuff, Chuck! Everything about the ride looks completely awesome!
I too, thought that Gerta and Gunter were husband and wife, and I also pictured Gunter as an older, heavyset guy. I pictured him with a white beard, the little round glasses, and the traditional German lederhosen. Kind of funny how people build their own images in their heads. Gerta is pretty babe-like, though!

Also, I'm VERY happy to see the return of the waterfall! :b Thanks for the coverage!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!