Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Pg. 375 - Dare Devil Chaos Coaster announced for 2015
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby rcdude » Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm

IronWolfman wrote:What will Fast Pass do to the Ride?

I honestly hope this doesn't have Flash Pass, as the capacity is already low enough. I've heard people say 400, but I'm guessing it will realistically be about half that (400 pph would be one train every 1:45, and while I don't know the ride time I'm sure the loading cycle will take at least 30 seconds). If the ride does have Flash Pass, I really hope they do something similar to Green Lantern: First Flight (Platinum only, $15 per person per reservation upcharge).

darklingscribe wrote:As it is I'm surprised that Premiere couldn't do a ride system similar to what S&S did with Powder Keg's launch. That way they could have one train in loading and one on the ride, using a transfer track system to exchange the two.

The only issue I can think of here is that the ride will travel at high speed over the transfer track, which other coasters don't do. The way Superman was shown operating in the animation, it will travel through the station at 60 MPH. Premier could probably make it work somehow, but Six Flags apparently didn't want to pay the cost to add a two-train transfer system.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Tatsu, Nitro, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Boulder Dash, Goliath (SFGAm), Thunderhead
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Knoebels Amusement Park & Resort
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ace Of Spades » Wed May 16, 2012 12:43 am

The only issue I can think of here is that the ride will travel at high speed over the transfer track, which other coasters don't do.

If I remember right, doesn't Mr. Freeze launch right off of its transfer? It has to be going at least 40 by the time the last car makes it off that bit of track.
Steam|Xbox Live: Mooco2

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” -Jeremy Clarkson

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 am

Ace Of Spades wrote:
The only issue I can think of here is that the ride will travel at high speed over the transfer track, which other coasters don't do.

If I remember right, doesn't Mr. Freeze launch right off of its transfer? It has to be going at least 40 by the time the last car makes it off that bit of track.

Yeah that is not really an issue, Premier could easily design it to work. This real issue is the park or Six Flags or both not wanting that in the design.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ace Of Spades » Wed May 16, 2012 2:19 am

Tmcdllr wrote:
Ace Of Spades wrote:

Yeah that is not really an issue, Premier could easily design it to work. This real issue is the park or Six Flags or both not wanting that in the design.

Yeah, I was hoping they construction delays were for just such a thing. No such luck. :(
Steam|Xbox Live: Mooco2

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” -Jeremy Clarkson

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Wed May 16, 2012 3:54 am

Yeah its too bad, I think it would have at least helped a little.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:31 am

Installation of one of the twelve cooling blower motors for the LIM. Since this ride is a launch coaster, expect to go faster than a speeding bullet!

From SFDK Facebook
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Well, its SOMETHING! This rides construction maybe slowing down but you can't rush perfection! :)
Hm, I see...

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Changing directions here, some news I just found out about, animal-wise. It looks like this is probably the end of Shouka at SFDK as the park/Six Flags looks like they'll be sending her off to Canada.

It's a run-of-the-mill Tuesday morning, and Michael Baroni, the general counsel of Palace Entertainment Holdings LLC, has a killer whale problem. Palace's parent ­company, Madrid-based Parques Reunidos, owns amusement parks and attractions throughout Europe, including a sea life park in France. That park loaned a killer whale to a Six Flags in California for breeding purposes. But suddenly Six Flags wants to give the animal away to an unrelated party in Canada. Now, the parks are in a contractual dispute over one very large marine mammal named Shouka.

Rest of the lengthy article here.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 pm

^Oh HELLLLLLL NO. THEY BETTER NOT. :angry: :x :angry:
There has to be a mistake here. Why would SFDK want to get rid of Shouka? The whales have been a top attraction to the park since before it was even in Vallejo! Shouka stadium is always PACKED with people... not to mention all of the extras they sell because of her (whale paintings, whale stuffed animals, trainer-for-a-day upcharge stuff, etc.) I will be beyond PISSED and hurt and upset if they really did this! This seriously makes me want to cry. I've been to the park every year of my life since I was three and seen the whale show with ONE exception: the year Vigga died. I went the year after that and there was some stupid stupid stupid diving show and everyone hated it and missed the whales! Families LOVE SFDK and do you think it's because of the rides? Not at all! It's the whales and dolphins and all the other animals, and the rides are an added bonus! WHY would they want to get rid of Shouka?!?!? This park will always hold a special place in my heart, but if they get rid of her, I'm going to be very pissed for a long long time. IF they moved her, it had better be to build a brand new multi-plex whale stadium with plans to get 2 more whales!

Two things I don't understand about this article.... why does it say June 1, 2012?
That park loaned a killer whale to a Six Flags in California for breeding purposes.

What does this mean? Shouka wasn't for breeding purposes because there were no other whales at the time. She was a replacement for Vigga who died in '01. Later on I heard discussion of wanting to artificially inseminate Shouka so she could have a companion, but for many reasons that didn't happen.

I hope this article is a mistake or some sick joke. This really upsets me. :x :cry: :x
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby gromithere » Wed May 16, 2012 11:01 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7408244n

This likely has something to do with it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!