TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

To further add, while I don't know much about SFMM's staff/maintenance crew or operations but I'd like to throw in and take a guess that perhaps in the end, it's to help keep maintenance costs down (perhaps could they be understaffed?). Such a shame that a ride that was designed to vertically spin is being ran in such way to avoid the whole spinning.

While we're at it, let's not allow bumping on the bumper cars as that's extra wear and tear each time someone crashes into somebody else, not to mention, a slight risk of being injured...and if you're skilled enough, breaking your wrists like what happened at CGA.

I'd be curious to see how the operations would be at one of the smaller SF properties (perhaps maintenance wouldn't be an issue if it really is that big of an issue), or even at a Cedar Fair park just to see how they choose to run it.

One more reason SFMM should never have gotten a ZacSpin in the first place. Poor capacity, can't run it effectively without the mid-course stop, not a major enough attraction compared to their other coasters, and now they won't even allow it to flip. I already won't wait more than 15 minutes to ride this, but if the chance of flipping is slim to none I might just have to avoid it until the policy changes unless it happens to be a walk on. This ride would probably have been much better suited at a park like SFA, SFDK, or Great Escape.

Can see it now, 1/4 drop tower, 3/4 brake section. While we're at it, let's disable half of the LIMS on Superman so they can be used for spare parts (if that's possible, hopefully I didn't just make a GP of myself :o )

So yea, Who ever said SFMM had a Zac Spin coaster? A Zac Rock & Stop, they do in fact have

While I am not defending SFMMs operations, I will say I really enjoy GL and the more I ride it the more I like it. While it's a crap shoot as to how good the ride will be, that's part of the fun to me as you really don't know what will happen balanced or not. For the record I've had some meh rides, mostly good 1 flip rides, and 1 amazing 3 flip ride. If you can get in the first dispatched train of the two they load as you won't sit on the breaks but hit them then roll on through like on the Insane videos. Which speaking of Insane videos, a the bulk of them on youtube seem to show it flipping only once, at the end like GL... Just saying...

Are there adjustable settings that control how much the cars are allowed to spin, or does it have to do solely with the weight distribution of the riders on the cars?

I believe Tim Burkhart said they put weights in the plastic shell that guards the track from guests.

^^For a long time I believed that Six Flags was slightly better than Cedar Fair. With Ouimet in charge, the addition of Fast Lane, reducing food prices, and now this total disgrace by SFMM, I think it's safe to say:

Cedar Fair > Six Flags

Who buys one of the most thrilling rides in the world and then writes a policy to make it suck? Six Flags, that's who.

Six Flags isn't TRYING to make the ride suck, their trying to make it WORK. Honestly, this is Intamin's fault for making a craptastic system to go along with a great coaster.

Since when was Magic Mountain the park to compare? How about comapring Great America to Cedar Point. That's a much more fair comparison.

And in my opinion Six Flags > Cedar Fair

^ If this was the first coaster of it's kind and hadn't been successful at other parks, you would have a point.

But the fact remains, this isn't the first of this coaster. It DOES work at other parks, and from what I understand, quite well.

Has someone asked a maintenance worker/ride op there if they have heard why they are not allowed to spin the ride? (Yes I know its like the dip n dots guy). Would be interesting what they heard

Most of the cars were still flipping at the end, and I got an unbalanced ride (I went up the lift facing toward the ground), yet I still only flipped once at the end! It seems like the GP still likes it though. I heard a lot of peole exiting the ride talking about how fun it was or how it is their favorite ride.

^If the car is too unbalanced, it enters the station incorrectly and the ride malfunctions. Instead of fixing it, the made the ride operate differently then it is supposed to by redesigning the cars, and now trying to "avoid inversions".

This happened quite a bit on Insane when we had an ERS last June, however rather than the park trying to prevent "Inversions" They just deal with it when it happens, yet another reason Europe Rocks!

Six Flags isn't TRYING to make the ride suck, their trying to make it WORK. Honestly, this is Intamin's fault for making a craptastic system to go along with a great coaster.

And in my opinion Six Flags > Cedar Fair

This is definitely not the case here - the ride does work. Just like how other B&Ms and other popular coasters have high capacity - at other parks.

Have you actually been on Insane? If not, I suggest you ride it and then get back to us.

Grona Lund > All the Six Flags parks combined.

What are you even talking about!?!?!?

The ride works just fine at other parks, and the ride was designed by Intamin to spin. It's called a ZACSPIN for crying out loud. I think it's pretty obvious they're just trying to save money on maintenance and staffing!

It's the park's fault for avoiding the gimmick of the ride. Intamin has as much say as you do about how daily operations are at the park. Intamin made the ride to the standards that SFMM gave them, and the ride was built. SFMM is just a lazy branch on the Six Flags chain that decides not to run the coasters the way they were intended to.

^I agree. With low capacity rides, it is VERY important to keep it fully staffed and the dispatch interval times need to bat at a minimum or the guest expereicen will fall downhill, quick. SF probably didn't realize that the couldn't have half a$$ upkeeep with this ride, like most others

Based off of what a few people brought up, it seems that Insane DOES have the same problems as SFMM with the ZacSpin. The difference is that they are good enough to spend money on the maintenance personnel to be at the ride when the cars come into the station weird. I saw this happen tons of times at GL last year when the ride was operating the way it should operate where they kept maintenance on hand to handle any problems (which were pretty common).

Unfortunately the issue lies, of course, with SFMM's cheapness.

So how long can everybody conceivably see GL staying at the park? I give it until the end of 2013 at most. Now that CP is removing Wildcat, they can keep the "Coaster Crown" with whatever they add next year and remove GL. I just don't know what else, if anything could go in that spot. They may be forced to get a **gasp** Flat Ride.

Why would they remove it though? If the GP enjoys it just fine, and all they have to do is balance the trains, then that's what they'll do. Just because they run it like crap doesn't mean they're just gonna rip it out two years later. They'll just run it like crap some more.

Plus, the world's ending in a few months so this won't even matter in 2013!