The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 3921 - New Twisted Colossus Update! Oct 18th
Users viewing this topic: Magic Alumni, njcoasterguy34, scottiemon and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I would imagine that it's probably a balance (pun not intended). Parks - also known as SFMM - can have their ops balance the cars as evenly as possible, making it much harder to flip. Ride a spinning coaster with balanced cars and see how much less-intense your ride is - the center of mass is right in the middle of the car, rather than pulling toward one side. But I imagine that Intamin might have designed the cars with whatever part that allows them to spin able to be tightened or loosened based on preference. But I'm not sure about that one!
Last Ride: Space Mountain: Mission 2 (DLP)
Next Ride: Intimidator 305 (KD)

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun May 13, 2012 6:16 pm

This park just keeps giving me reasons to not to ever want to go back. I honestly don't care for GL, it just doesn't do anything for me except smash my jewels, and that is something I don't care for either. Perhaps if it did something, like say spin, it would be more exciting. Hoping on day I can ride a real one.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby megalyte » Sun May 13, 2012 6:37 pm

To me, Green Lantern made Revolution seem like a top 5 coaster. No joke, it was THAT awful!
14 Parks & 37 Coasters!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LaMapa » Sun May 13, 2012 7:03 pm

HEADCHEEZ wrote:Also, does anyone know if the Fire effect on X2 is working?

It was yesterday. Only one flamethrower though.

Probably gonna head down to the park again tomorrow for another update and some more rides. Whoo!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby laqueefa » Sun May 13, 2012 9:29 pm

robbalvey wrote:There isn't a "problem" with the ride. There isn't anything that Intamin can fix. When other parks are able to run this same coaster without issue, the problem isn't with the ride.

In your opinion, Robb, what is the problem? I'm very curious as to why they would tell the ops to "avoid" something the ride was designed to do. (less wear and tear on parts? more time spent putting people through the ride than waiting for final spin to end?)
Tigga, please!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Chrisrad » Sun May 13, 2012 9:33 pm

^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

;)
Chris #10
2011 Northeast & Cedar Point Trips
Maverick > Millennium Force

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby Manic Monte » Sun May 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Chrisrad wrote:^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

;)

Your comment may sound flippant, but it's actually quite true. SFMM should have stuck with X2. A ride with "free spinning seats" should never have been added to a park that can't even figure out how to run a looping coaster the way it was designed to ride with comfortable lap bars, even though other parks with similar rides have done so for years. SFMM always makes excuses for their own inept decisions, and unfortunately we suffer for it.

But I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Intamin.
Last edited by Manic Monte on Sun May 13, 2012 10:14 pm.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Chrisrad » Sun May 13, 2012 10:03 pm

^ No, I was being serious - I firmly believe that it's simply because it's SFMM. Add to that the fact that it's a park in CA, and you have too much of a liability for them to run Green Lantern to its full potential.

I was at SFMM the other day when there weren't any lines, and I couldn't wait to leave. I used to really enjoy going there, but after going to so many east coast parks last year, my perception has changed.
Chris #10
2011 Northeast & Cedar Point Trips
Maverick > Millennium Force

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun May 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Chrisrad wrote:^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

;)

Just for kicks, I decided to post the question on SFMM's Facebook. I'm sure the answer will just be "42," the same answer Siri gives me when I ask her about the meaning of life. That's really a shame because to me, that would be the main draw to going on the ride. If I'm just going to be gently rocking as I travel forwards and backwards, then there is no real desire to ride it.

Also, is GL still being heavily trimmed as well?
Edit: According to a Youtube video I just looked at uploaded back in February and assuming it was shot pretty close to that time, it is still taking its infamous mid-course pause. Now to look up Insane and see how that one runs.

Postby Wes » Sun May 13, 2012 10:23 pm

SFMM should probably either start getting rid of older/maintenence hogging coasters or stop buying new ones that are going to be issues. This is just a wiiiild guess, but by having an ever-increasing number of complex rides compounded with a sorta year-round schedule, I can't imagine maintenance having time to truly fix-fix all these issues. Thus you get a bunch of temporary "solutions" like "Don't spin the coaster that's supposed to spin".

PreviousNext