The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Pg 5042 - CraZanity Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: Google [Bot] and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby laqueefa » Sun May 13, 2012 9:29 pm

robbalvey wrote:There isn't a "problem" with the ride. There isn't anything that Intamin can fix. When other parks are able to run this same coaster without issue, the problem isn't with the ride.

In your opinion, Robb, what is the problem? I'm very curious as to why they would tell the ops to "avoid" something the ride was designed to do. (less wear and tear on parts? more time spent putting people through the ride than waiting for final spin to end?)
Tigga, please!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Chrisrad » Sun May 13, 2012 9:33 pm

^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

;)
Chris #10
2011 Northeast & Cedar Point Trips
Maverick > Millennium Force

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Manic Monte » Sun May 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Chrisrad wrote:^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

;)

Your comment may sound flippant, but it's actually quite true. SFMM should have stuck with X2. A ride with "free spinning seats" should never have been added to a park that can't even figure out how to run a looping coaster the way it was designed to ride with comfortable lap bars, even though other parks with similar rides have done so for years. SFMM always makes excuses for their own inept decisions, and unfortunately we suffer for it.

But I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Intamin.
Last edited by Manic Monte on Sun May 13, 2012 10:14 pm.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Chrisrad » Sun May 13, 2012 10:03 pm

^ No, I was being serious - I firmly believe that it's simply because it's SFMM. Add to that the fact that it's a park in CA, and you have too much of a liability for them to run Green Lantern to its full potential.

I was at SFMM the other day when there weren't any lines, and I couldn't wait to leave. I used to really enjoy going there, but after going to so many east coast parks last year, my perception has changed.
Chris #10
2011 Northeast & Cedar Point Trips
Maverick > Millennium Force

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun May 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Chrisrad wrote:^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

;)

Just for kicks, I decided to post the question on SFMM's Facebook. I'm sure the answer will just be "42," the same answer Siri gives me when I ask her about the meaning of life. That's really a shame because to me, that would be the main draw to going on the ride. If I'm just going to be gently rocking as I travel forwards and backwards, then there is no real desire to ride it.

Also, is GL still being heavily trimmed as well?
Edit: According to a Youtube video I just looked at uploaded back in February and assuming it was shot pretty close to that time, it is still taking its infamous mid-course pause. Now to look up Insane and see how that one runs.

Postby Wes » Sun May 13, 2012 10:23 pm

SFMM should probably either start getting rid of older/maintenence hogging coasters or stop buying new ones that are going to be issues. This is just a wiiiild guess, but by having an ever-increasing number of complex rides compounded with a sorta year-round schedule, I can't imagine maintenance having time to truly fix-fix all these issues. Thus you get a bunch of temporary "solutions" like "Don't spin the coaster that's supposed to spin".

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 pm

To further add, while I don't know much about SFMM's staff/maintenance crew or operations but I'd like to throw in and take a guess that perhaps in the end, it's to help keep maintenance costs down (perhaps could they be understaffed?). Such a shame that a ride that was designed to vertically spin is being ran in such way to avoid the whole spinning.

While we're at it, let's not allow bumping on the bumper cars as that's extra wear and tear each time someone crashes into somebody else, not to mention, a slight risk of being injured...and if you're skilled enough, breaking your wrists like what happened at CGA.

I'd be curious to see how the operations would be at one of the smaller SF properties (perhaps maintenance wouldn't be an issue if it really is that big of an issue), or even at a Cedar Fair park just to see how they choose to run it.

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Sun May 13, 2012 10:49 pm

And let's turn Lex Luthor into a slow descent. What, did you think our drop tower was going to drop?
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Sun May 13, 2012 10:51 pm

One more reason SFMM should never have gotten a ZacSpin in the first place. Poor capacity, can't run it effectively without the mid-course stop, not a major enough attraction compared to their other coasters, and now they won't even allow it to flip. I already won't wait more than 15 minutes to ride this, but if the chance of flipping is slim to none I might just have to avoid it until the policy changes unless it happens to be a walk on. This ride would probably have been much better suited at a park like SFA, SFDK, or Great Escape.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Can see it now, 1/4 drop tower, 3/4 brake section. While we're at it, let's disable half of the LIMS on Superman so they can be used for spare parts (if that's possible, hopefully I didn't just make a GP of myself :o )

So yea, Who ever said SFMM had a Zac Spin coaster? A Zac Rock & Stop, they do in fact have :)

PreviousNext