TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Most of the cars were still flipping at the end, and I got an unbalanced ride (I went up the lift facing toward the ground), yet I still only flipped once at the end! It seems like the GP still likes it though. I heard a lot of peole exiting the ride talking about how fun it was or how it is their favorite ride.

^If the car is too unbalanced, it enters the station incorrectly and the ride malfunctions. Instead of fixing it, the made the ride operate differently then it is supposed to by redesigning the cars, and now trying to "avoid inversions".

I just got a season pass online (I know, I'm way late!), and have it printed out. At the top, it says "This is your Voucher. Go straight to the gate. Barcode will be scanned for entry at the turnstile.". If that's so, when do I actually get the physical season pass? Can I do that anytime throughout the day, or what?

I just got a season pass online (I know, I'm way late!), and have it printed out. At the top, it says "This is your Voucher. Go straight to the gate. Barcode will be scanned for entry at the turnstile.". If that's so, when do I actually get the physical season pass? Can I do that anytime throughout the day, or what?

You can go to the Season Pass Processing center any time of day. I highly recommend on going there right before the park closes when there is no line because in the middle of the day there can be 2+ hour waits.

You can go to the Season Pass Processing center any time of day. I highly recommend on going there right before the park closes when there is no line because in the middle of the day there can be 2+ hour waits.

Could I process it on another visit? I'm going with a group, and I'm the only one with the pass, so I don't want to hold them up.

Most of the cars were still flipping at the end, and I got an unbalanced ride (I went up the lift facing toward the ground), yet I still only flipped once at the end! It seems like the GP still likes it though. I heard a lot of peole exiting the ride talking about how fun it was or how it is their favorite ride.

^If the car is too unbalanced, it enters the station incorrectly and the ride malfunctions. Instead of fixing it, the made the ride operate differently then it is supposed to by redesigning the cars, and now trying to "avoid inversions".

Why then don't they have Intamin correct the problem so this is not an issue? If Insane is the same ride and flips a lot more than this one, why then does it not have this issue with cars not righting themselves at the end- there's gotta be some reason? This is really stupid- and I hope they are at least looking at a solution that allows the ride to run properly, otherwise it's just a giant waste of space.

"Avoid inversions"- isn't that a total contradiction of the point and design of this ride?

For years I have been anti Cedar Fair making fun of trashcans and what not and the lack of themed attractions and crews and at the same time was pro Six Flags. Honestly West Coast Bash showed how wrong I was and I am now COMPLETELY reversed in my original opinion. Literally the only complaint I had at Knotts was the Ghost Town music, but the park is looking better, the staff was great... etc. Both parks are still pretty far from perfect, but Six Flags is declining fast and Cedar Fair is improving greatly!

Why then don't they have Intamin correct the problem so this is not an issue? If Insane is the same ride and flips a lot more than this one, why then does it not have this issue with cars not righting themselves at the end- there's gotta be some reason? This is really stupid- and I hope they are at least looking at a solution that allows the ride to run properly, otherwise it's just a giant waste of space.

"Avoid inversions"- isn't that a total contradiction of the point and design of this ride?

^ It is. Except the GP doesn't know it's called a Zac-Spin. As far as they're concerned, it could be some new form of zig zag drop ride.

However, those in charge of making the decision to bring this ride to SFMM have got to know this wasn't the idea. Sad.

^ It is. Except the GP doesn't know it's called a Zac-Spin. As far as they're concerned, it could be some new form of zig zag drop ride.

However, those in charge of making the decision to bring this ride to SFMM have got to know this wasn't the idea. Sad.

Maybe they don't, maybe they have no clue- now THAT is sad.

Perhaps they have plans to have Intamin come in and correct the problem sometime in the future, and in the meantime, they're just doing the best they can and trying to keep the ride operational as much as possible?

Edited by jzoole

Why then don't they have Intamin correct the problem so this is not an issue? If Insane is the same ride and flips a lot more than this one, why then does it not have this issue with cars not righting themselves at the end- there's gotta be some reason?

There isn't a "problem" with the ride. There isn't anything that Intamin can fix. When other parks are able to run this same coaster without issue, the problem isn't with the ride.

I would imagine that it's probably a balance (pun not intended). Parks - also known as SFMM - can have their ops balance the cars as evenly as possible, making it much harder to flip. Ride a spinning coaster with balanced cars and see how much less-intense your ride is - the center of mass is right in the middle of the car, rather than pulling toward one side. But I imagine that Intamin might have designed the cars with whatever part that allows them to spin able to be tightened or loosened based on preference. But I'm not sure about that one!

This park just keeps giving me reasons to not to ever want to go back. I honestly don't care for GL, it just doesn't do anything for me except smash my jewels, and that is something I don't care for either. Perhaps if it did something, like say spin, it would be more exciting. Hoping on day I can ride a real one.

Also, does anyone know if the Fire effect on X2 is working?

It was yesterday. Only one flamethrower though.

Probably gonna head down to the park again tomorrow for another update and some more rides. Whoo!

There isn't a "problem" with the ride. There isn't anything that Intamin can fix. When other parks are able to run this same coaster without issue, the problem isn't with the ride.

In your opinion, Robb, what is the problem? I'm very curious as to why they would tell the ops to "avoid" something the ride was designed to do. (less wear and tear on parts? more time spent putting people through the ride than waiting for final spin to end?)

^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

Your comment may sound flippant, but it's actually quite true. SFMM should have stuck with X2. A ride with "free spinning seats" should never have been added to a park that can't even figure out how to run a looping coaster the way it was designed to ride with comfortable lap bars, even though other parks with similar rides have done so for years. SFMM always makes excuses for their own inept decisions, and unfortunately we suffer for it.

But I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Intamin.

Edited by Manic Monte

^ No, I was being serious - I firmly believe that it's simply because it's SFMM. Add to that the fact that it's a park in CA, and you have too much of a liability for them to run Green Lantern to its full potential.

I was at SFMM the other day when there weren't any lines, and I couldn't wait to leave. I used to really enjoy going there, but after going to so many east coast parks last year, my perception has changed.

^ It's SFMM. What other reasoning do you need?

Just for kicks, I decided to post the question on SFMM's Facebook. I'm sure the answer will just be "42," the same answer Siri gives me when I ask her about the meaning of life. That's really a shame because to me, that would be the main draw to going on the ride. If I'm just going to be gently rocking as I travel forwards and backwards, then there is no real desire to ride it.

Also, is GL still being heavily trimmed as well?

Edit: According to a Youtube video I just looked at uploaded back in February and assuming it was shot pretty close to that time, it is still taking its infamous mid-course pause. Now to look up Insane and see how that one runs.

SFMM should probably either start getting rid of older/maintenence hogging coasters or stop buying new ones that are going to be issues. This is just a wiiiild guess, but by having an ever-increasing number of complex rides compounded with a sorta year-round schedule, I can't imagine maintenance having time to truly fix-fix all these issues. Thus you get a bunch of temporary "solutions" like "Don't spin the coaster that's supposed to spin".