TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^As far as Intamin lap bars go, MF's are some of the most comfortable. Hell, on that and TTD, you can barely even notice the lap bar is there. Once you ride something like the Superman clones or Bizarro at SFNE, you get the "ugly" side of Intamin lap bars. I'm hoping these are more on the side of MF and TTD, and nothing like the Superman/Bizarro ones.

I'm hoping these are more on the side of MF and TTD, and nothing like the Superman/Bizarro ones.

You can say that again. The Bizarro lap bars are downright unfriendly.

I do like the look of the Skyrush restraints, but time will tell if my optimism is warranted.

Just posted on the parks FB Page:

We’ve had a great time watching Skyrush being built and now it’s in its testing phase. It was a beautiful day at Hersheypark yesterday and we were able to get some video footage of the test runs….Anyone Interested in seeing it? Check our facebook page around 4:00 pm. We may be partial but we think that this ride has been worth the wait!

Head on over to the park's Facebook page to see the video!

The left side coming out of the Stengel dive/overbank/whatever is going to be AMAZING. Similar to if you're sitting on the left side when X2 exits its turnaround - the track banks and because you have a farther distance to fall before you're level it feels like it's dropping out underneath you!

^^The computer waits until the entire train is on the lift and then the lift speeds up.

Makes sense. I wouldn't want to be in the back row going 15 mph out of the station and up the steep lift incline curve...that would be some uncomfortable whiplash most likely.

The train slows down much more than I expected by the end. I'm sure it'll still be awesome but I figured it would have more umph going around the final bits.

Heavier/shorter train, more air resistance, speed-eating elements - take your pick.

It moves a little slower than I anticipated too. It might speed up. Might not. I saw this on the Project 2012 Facebook page from a guy called "Park Connoisseur"...

From the video (and I realize it may be totally different in person) it looks as if the trains loses significant speed by the end of the ride. Part of that is that it needs to break in. Part of it is by design.

One, as I said before, this train is shorter and looks just as heavy if not heavier than Intamin's normal train. I can't help but think that the weight and length of the train was factored into the design of the layout. The heavier/shorter train is going to take a lot more energy to get through the course, and as a result, will lose speed more quickly.

The length of the train is a factor, as there is less "train" to push the front down and up the hills. The wider train probably suffers from greater wind/air resistance as well.

The element that everyone is calling a "Stengel" dive is a neat element, but it eats up a lot of energy - which is what it's designed to do. It's no surprise to see the train "dragging" at toward the end of the ride.

Skyrush gains energy from the lift and all the drops. It loses energy on all inclines, turns, straight-aways, and of course, brakes. So, the train is mostly losing energy throughout the entire ride.

But I also think that due to the elements ("stengel" dive, turns), and the design of the train, that Skyrush will lose energy quicker than other Intamin coasters.

It makes sense too. It never seemed right that a ride that has a lift of 17+ mph and a 200 foot drop only had a high point of 80 feet for the rest of the ride. In my mind I was picturing it running like a bat out of hell - start to finish.

Even though it's still early, I think we can see that after those first two hills, it runs at what we would consider normal to above normal speeds for a megacoaster - not bat-out-of-hell speeds. I'm sure that's all by design, and is for the best.

Makes sense to me.

I definitely would have preferred bat-out-of-hell intensity, too, though this still seems like a very promising ride. I'm often perfectly fine with limited sections of extreme intensity, but I also love relentlessly paced rides like El Toro.

This pretty much sums it up -

I'm sure that's all by design, and is for the best.

The sheer girth of the trains and especially the huge supports holding up the outer seats have everything to do with the loss of energy. The trains will probably be very comfortable as opposed to Furius Baco's actual wing rider trains, which may be lighter but apparently give a rough ride.

We'll find out on the 26th though! It can't come soon enough!

^^^While this is true, B&M hypers have a much higher emphasis on camelback hills, which are ideal in momentum conservation. Skyrush spends a large chunk of its time (and, consequently, its momentum) on high-speed, low-to-the-ground turns. In addition, the second hill is only 80 feet, a far cry from the second hills on most B&M hypers. Shorter hills do not conserve as much momentum as higher ones. Both of these factors (as well as some less obvious others) account for the train's rapid loss of speed.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't see this out-of-character slowdown all of you guys are seeing here. Looks just fine to me, and still plenty fast enough to be fun.

I'm not seeing it either but they have to complain about something it just wouldn't be right if they didn't