TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Diva at the 2012 Orlando Fringe

TPDlogoSM.jpg.e213700a7811fda275f32649c3a79225.jpg

Our show logo

Hello Orlando TPRers!

My musical, Theme Park Diva, will be presented as part of the 2012 Orlando Fringe Festival from May 17-27, 2012.

What is Fringe?

A 13-day-festival that is founded on the concept of offering 100% unjuried, 100% uncensored, 100% accessible theatre, music, dance, and art to all types and ages where 100% of the box office ticket sales go directly back to the artists within The Fringe. The Orlando Fringe is the longest running Fringe Festival in the United States, celebrating 21 years as “Orlando’s most unique cultural experience”. Orlando Fringe is a proud member of the United States Association of Fringe Festivals (USAFF) http://www.fringefestivals.us and the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals (CAFF) http://www.fringefestivals.com.

Basically, it is theater, dance, music, comedy, and lots of crazy stuff in between. Shows are rated G to R with some shows offering nudity! (Not mine....but we do say "bitch" twice and "ass" once or twice!)

For a much more detailed explanation of the Fringe, check out their site: http://orlandofringe.org/how/howto/

My show is a musical about the made-up Galaxy World USA and the cast of the park's BIG show: Music Music Music Music and More!

It features a cast of 11 made up of many Disney and Broadway veterans. I first wrote the show back in 1997 as part of the end of season banquet for Busch Gardens VA. I have produced it twice in the past at the Orlando Fringe in 2003 and 2005.

I'd love to see you at the show! Tickets are $12 (which included the $1 service fee) and can be purchased online now right here:

https://t5.clicknprint.com/Online/?siteID=1421&cartID=42ca013d-f2b1-426a-b09b-24c4114f0b15&eventid=

Just scroll down to my show "Theme Park Diva" and pick your date and quantity of tickets.

NOTE: I am also offering a $2 discount to all theme park employees. HOWEVER, you can only get this discount if you purchase the tickets in person at the festival. My venue holds 360 people, but I would suggest getting tickets early in case we sell out.

Box Office hours on weekdays are 4 PM-Midnight and weekends 10 AM-Midnight. Orlando Fringe Box offices are located in the lower-lobby of The Lowndes Shakespeare Center and the back lobby of The Orlando REP from May 17-27th.

Also, you must have a Fringe button to get into any show. This button costs $8 (I think) and you only need to purchase it once.

There is also a BEER TENT! And lots and lots of food vendors on the lawn. It's a great place to hang out between shows and talk to other guests about what they liked and didn't like.

And for those so inclined, I am looking for sponsors for my show. Basically, I have spent about $3000 of my own money on fees, ads, and other expenses. I have sold ads in my program and raised about $700. If you want to be listed as a sponsor or have your website listed, I am accepting sponsors for $25 a line in my program.

Here is the link for that:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=GH6M5P2AHCREW

Here is a quick link to my original post for the show in 2005:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1842&hilit=theme+park+diva

Thanks and hope to see you at the Fringe!!

1220831206_TPDPostcard.thumb.jpg.f72a2b3c98bbf9e41241d5c302621370.jpg

627175033_iPhonePics042(Medium).thumb.JPG.12b1d74b3a7d3cb5478db908f19893c2.JPG

Most of the cast with the show poster

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last shout out!! We were picked as one of Orlando Weekly's top 20 most anticipated shows!!

We open TONIGHT at the Orlando Fringe! Get your tickets at the door and save $2 with any theme park ID!! See you at one of the following show times:

Thursday 17 May; at 9:15pm

Friday 18 May; at 5:30pm

Sunday 20 May; at 3:15pm

Monday 21 May; at 8:30pm

Thursday 24 May; at 5:30pm

Saturday 26 May; at 9:15pm

Sunday 27 May; at 11:00am

All shows at Orlando Shakespeare Theater in the Margeson.

1283448048_OrlandoWeeklyTop20.jpg.058165fa46005491c26bc5876398bf00.jpg

If you've ever spent time working at a theme park, you MUST see this show!

Went today to check it out at the Orlando Fringe and it was fantastic! PianoJohn and his cast were fun, hilarious, and highly entertaining! For those of us who have worked (or are still working) in theme parks, you could totally relate to everything they poked fun at! From the taboo of an entertainment performer dating a food service employee to the obnoxiously over-patriotic theme park show finales, it touched upon just about everything you could imagine from the theme park employees perspective.

And it wasn't just a "parody" of working at a theme park either, the show had great music, wonderful performances, and a lot of heart!

Seriously LOLed many times! I would strongly recommend catching one of the remaining performances!

Ticket info: https://t5.clicknprint.com/Online/?siteID=1421&cartID=42ca013d-f2b1-426a-b09b-24c4114f0b15&eventid=

(Sorry for some of the crappy iPhone pics...it's dark and I was trying not to distract anyone by taking photos!)

image.thumb.jpeg.730c5847fb6cebd236810735df642a14.jpeg

Oh, Suzi Ditty wants to work in a theme park? If only she had any idea what she was getting herself in for! =)

image_1.thumb.jpeg.251bb3d7c3386b46df2186a12035015d.jpeg

Poking fun at horribly written theme park shows about subject matter that makes no sense is always worth quite a few laughs!

image_2.thumb.jpeg.b19c5a01d4d7adb25e02294377380459.jpeg

Loved the "Cedar Point-ish" uniforms on the park employes!

image_3.thumb.jpeg.d02a34b3a2b75cc7daeede2e668ac9e9.jpeg

Why are all the men that work in theme park entertainment gay? Because you HAVE to be! =)

image_4.thumb.jpeg.7010bcc8eca7d93f6b2fceec5006a967.jpeg

And it wouldn't be a cheesy theme park show without an overly obnoxious, totally sickening, salute to all countries, but really ONLY USA! USA! USA!!!!

image_5.thumb.jpeg.b83b950a370966fde03c0801d156821c.jpeg

The cast, the music, the overall show was amazing! I hope this continues to play at the Fringe every year!

Edited by robbalvey

I really enjoyed the show. It is a must see for theme park employees - but if you've ever been in or around theme park entertainment, this show is a hilarious, almost too-real, window into that world. I'm not sure what was funnier - the obvious parody gags - or the fact everything they did and said was so true to life. The songs wonderful. I highly recommend seeing this if you get the chance. Jazz hands, everyone!!

Edited by jcrouse

Sorry I won't be able to see it during it's run.

But very glad it's on the boards again!

And - I still have the t-shirt!!!

Break Many Legs!

D01_DonQuixoteAndMe_ParqueEspana.jpg.38bf81b684b47145ef72bbd1b619523c.jpg

At Parque Espana on TPR Japan tour last summer ~ see the shirt? ~ there it is! (o:

I shot some video at last nights performance. Here's a clip...

This is probably one of my favourite segments with all the girls complaining that the guys who work in theme parks are all gay (so true), and how the park wants to keep things "clean" even though all the staff wants to do is screw around, drink, and have sex (again, also very true!)

I'll post more clips if John says its ok!

--Robb

Ps. I love generically "Cedar Point" the employee costumes are!

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the post! I was going to post the link to Kickstarter, but you beat me to it.

Already Robb has donated to fund my recording. And with as little as $20, you can get a digital copy of the cast recording.

Thanks for your support!!

• 2 weeks later...

themeparkdiva.jpg.72a3294f714f73a6404a87cc71840596.jpg

BACK THIS NOW!!!

Hey TPR! I want to once again remind everyone to please back the cast recording of "Theme Park Diva." Not only has PianoJohn been an active member of TPR since the early years, he's brought a lot of fun and excitement to our theme parks for many years. Chances are good that you've probably heard him play piano, or have seen one of the shows he's produced at a theme park near you!

His musical "Theme Park Diva" is a parody of what it's like working at a theme park, and more specifically in theme park entertainment. It's both awesome and hilarious! Everyone who is a theme park fan or have worked at a theme park NEEDS to see/hear this show!

Backing the production of the cast recording will get you a copy for $20. We highly recommend this! Here's a couple of clips from the show:

(and yes, the production of a cast recording will result in a MUCH better recording of the audio!)

Click this link and please back this project!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey