TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I went last night for my last Phoenix ride of the year. And my second-ever Black Diamond ride, on the train after Mick Foley. I saw things I didn't see the first time through, and the timing of the stunts seemed a little better than before. I prefer the left side of the train, which is where I made a point to ride last night after getting the right side the first time.

Phoenix was running fast and very smooth, Twister was also running fast and fairly smooth, unlike my rides in the summer. The haunted antique cars were great, the haunted train not so much. About as much scenery as usual, but nobody hiding anywhere. Overall they did a great job with the Halloween weekends this year, many more food stands open than before and lots of rides. If only they would run the bumper cars...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I hit up Knoebels with my family yesterday for opening day to take advantage of 2 for 1 wristbands. Scheduled park hours were 12-6 but they keep the rides open until 7. It was overcast but the rain held out. I only rode about 6 different rides but had multiple re-rides on them.

Phoenix still runs great, and there was a good group of enthusiasts enjoying the Flyers in all their glory most of the day. I had six awesome rides on the Flyers throughout the day.

The Skooters had a 3-4 cycle wait all day even with all cars working and on the track. Some of the rides were great but there were a few times where too many kid and novices clogged the course and ruined it.

I finally got to ride Black Diamond after touring it with TPR last summer while under construction. It was nice to see it all come together and even better knowing the back story behind some of the scenes. Even though Black Diamond was not included on the ride wristband it had the longest wait of the day (about 30 minutes).

Also, the park has new "2011 Flood" signs up and it is insane how much higher levels reached versus previous floods.

Overall it was a great day at Knoebels

I was there yesterday too. Someone was carrying around their pet skunk, black diamond was running better than last year, they improved the timing issues and it was looking pretty good.

Twister had some new wood in places but sadly it didn't improve the ride. Any lingering effects from the flood were hard to be found.

Overall it was a good day. Not as crowded as I anticipated on an opening day.

Any news on Flying Turns?

There were a couple a maintainance guys standing around underneath it early in the day. I didn't see any cars laying around or covered but did see what looked look axles.

Did they look more or less confused than the past five years?

I'm planning on heading to Knoebels this year for my summer trip, since I haven't been there since July of 2008. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Danville, which was nice, but I'd like to know about any other possibilities, since this is a section of PA with which I'm not too familiar.

I'll be bringing my Mother too, I think, since she talked about an old park she used to go to in Western PA called Cascade Park, and I think Knoebels would remind her a lot of it. She was also impressed by a video I showed her of the Phoenix.

I'm curious, what are the crowds there like in August? I'll have to go in early in that month, since I'm rehearsing for a show that's going on in late July. What are the best days to go?

The Skooters had a 3-4 cycle wait all day even with all cars working and on the track. Some of the rides were great but there were a few times where too many kid and novices clogged the course and ruined it.

Sadly, that's all too often lately. I've never seen the ops not give an extended ride if they have to stop it to clear out a jam, but it still makes it suck for the people in line. (Sometimes they've had to stop it multiple times.)

I have nothing against novices (we've all been there, and I'm still not as good as the greats), but the kids are a whole different class of bring-down because some of the youngest ones will freak out and freeze in the middle of the course. One season recently, it seemed like there was an injury every day I was there.

I wish they'd have adult sessions and kids sessions, for the sake of both the ride and the riders.

My wife and I were up for opening day on Saturday. It was a little cool but all in all nice weather. Wasn't as crowded as previous opening day's...my guess is because of the cool temps. I remember opening day last year, the line for wristbands stretched all the way back to the Pirate Ship. Got to ride Black Diamond, around 1/2 hour wait. Loved it!! My new favorite dark ride!! Twister re-tracking made it a "mite bit" smoother, but not too much.

It was Dick Knoebels birthday and they were having a cake and celebration for him at the Phoenix Junction. I got to shake his hand and wish him happy birthday.

Best of all, I got to see my grandson take his first rides in the kiddie area. It was awesome...he couldn't stop smiling on each ride!! Future coaster junkie for sure!!

Opening day Saturday was so much fun!!! It was a tad chilly but still fun all around. The retracking work on Twister and Phoenix made both a better ride in my opinion. Both are still at the top of my wooden coaster list. Black Diamond was great and I am glad the park bought this ride. I finally ate at the Alamo and I will admit that is a nice restaurant with good food that nicely priced.

I hit up Knoebels with my family yesterday for opening day to take advantage of 2 for 1 wristbands. Scheduled park hours were 12-6 but they keep the rides open until 7. It was overcast but the rain held out. I only rode about 6 different rides but had multiple re-rides on them.

Phoenix still runs great, and there was a good group of enthusiasts enjoying the Flyers in all their glory most of the day. I had six awesome rides on the Flyers throughout the day.

I finally got to ride Black Diamond after touring it with TPR last summer while under construction. It was nice to see it all come together and even better knowing the back story behind some of the scenes. Even though Black Diamond was not included on the ride wristband it had the longest wait of the day (about 30 minutes).

Also, the park has new "2011 Flood" signs up and it is insane how much higher levels reached versus previous floods.

Overall it was a great day at Knoebels

Thanks for the report, Larry. Black Diamond sounds like the perfect coaster for this park.

It really is! I stuck it out and waited for it during Phall Phunfest. It's a great "classic-style" dark ride that has some good startles/scares but is still really fun the entire time. It also is a legitimate roller coaster, if anyone else is wondering. It's really loud inside though.

At first I didn't like that it was buried in the back of the park, but it fits well with the Mining Museum.

I'm planning on heading to Knoebels this year for my summer trip, since I haven't been there since July of 2008. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Danville, which was nice, but I'd like to know about any other possibilities, since this is a section of PA with which I'm not too familiar.

I'll be bringing my Mother too, I think, since she talked about an old park she used to go to in Western PA called Cascade Park, and I think Knoebels would remind her a lot of it. She was also impressed by a video I showed her of the Phoenix.

I'm curious, what are the crowds there like in August? I'll have to go in early in that month, since I'm rehearsing for a show that's going on in late July. What are the best days to go?

There are three hotels right off of I-80 in Bloomsburg, which is a 15-20 minute drive away. There's a Comfort Suites up by the Walmart/Lowe's area, an Econo Lodge in the parking lot next to the mall, and a Holiday Inn Express right across from the mall. I'm pretty familiar with the area (needless to say, I've been here my whole life), so let me know if you have any other questions.

^^ Thank you Josh. I discovered that the Holiday Inn Express has slightly lower rates currently than the Hampton Inn in Danville, and it seems to have more in the way of amenities too. So, I've made my reservation for the nights of August 7 and August 8.

I'm planning to visit Knoebels in the first of June (Regardless if the Flying Turns or Lying Turds are running or not) and I will finally be able to ride Black Diamond (I couldn't ride it last year since they were still building it, so I rode many times through their Haunted Mansion in protest! ). Nice to hear that there was no ride removal due to last year's flood ( Seeing what it did to poor ole Smokey made me ), plus I shouldn't be able to tell whether or not there was a flood there in the first place due to the massive cleanup.

One last thing to say to Knoebles: keep that park running 'tilI get there, 'cos I'm gonna ride everything!

"Hey, I'm been keeping the bed warm and do you show up when you're suppose to? NOoooOO!"

• 1 month later...