Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 69: Downtown Disney I-4 access & road changes announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby spongey » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:23 pm

SharkTums wrote:Everyone should sign up to do this immediately!

I'm already planning on heading back at some point soon! It was worth every penny!!! These are amazing cars and they let you drive them how they are meant to be driven in a completely safe environment.

Definitely doing this in December when I am in town.

Very jealous you got to ride with Fittipaldi!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:26 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/splitsville-project-to-rock-in-and-roll-out-at-downtown-disney-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Details are beginning to emerge about the look and feel of the new Splitsville location we told you is coming to Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort this fall, and I’m happy to share with you all of the latest developments.

This new Splitsville is going to be their first two-level venue and, at 50,000 square feet, will be the largest one in the country – in fact, almost twice the size of any of the other four locations. And it’s going to feature 30 bowling lanes, again nearly twice as many as at any other Splitsville.

This Splitsville will also have a balcony with outdoor seating, as well as billiard tables and live entertainment, making it an ideal place for some family fun outside of the theme parks. Like other Splitsvilles, this one will serve upscale food and beverages, including sushi, amid a stylish interior that features both hip and retro décor elements. Suffice it to say, this is not going to be your father’s bowling alley.

Construction is already well underway at its location in the heart of Downtown Disney near the AMC Downtown Disney 24. Expect a grand opening sometime this fall to mark the arrival of the newest entertainment option among the stream of fresh and fun family experiences that have been added lately to Downtown Disney.
In the meantime, here’s the newest rendering of the location’s exterior and a video that will give you a feel for what it’ll be like inside.

YouTube Videolink

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/pixar-animator-tours-new-finding-nemo-wing-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

The first wing of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort in Walt Disney World Resort doesn’t open to guests until May 31, but Thursday, Pixar supervising animator Shawn Krause got an early tour led by the resort’s general manager, Rick Allen. Shawn knows a little something about the art of animation, having worked on Disney•Pixar classics including “Toy Story,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “The Incredibles,” “Cars,” “Up” and “Cars 2”.

Shawn has a special connection to this first wing at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, as it’s themed to Disney•Pixar’s “Finding Nemo.” Nemo, Marlin, Dory, and Crush are just some of the characters that Shawn animated for various scenes in the Academy-Award winning classic. Shawn also led the animation team for “The Seas with Nemo and Friends” attraction at Epcot.

As a child, Shawn got hooked on animation after creating flipbooks on notepads his parents left lying around the house. Other wings at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will open through the rest of the year: “Cars” on June 18, “The Lion King” on August 10, and “The Little Mermaid” on September 15. Sources tell us Shawn was also spotted touring some of those areas. So far, Shawn isn’t talking. Maybe we can get his reaction a little closer to some of those opening dates.

YouTube Videolink
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 am

I take it that Splitsville is where the Virgin Records store used to be.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 am

cfc wrote:I take it that Splitsville is where the Virgin Records store used to be.

Yes.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:14 am

Haven't been paying much attention to the Art of Animation Resort stuff, but...just decided to book it for the second night it's open! KT has PreSchool Graduation on Friday, June 1 then we'll go check in for the weekend to celebrate!

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:24 am

This actually looks pretty awesome... especially for a value resort. I am quite impressed/happy with the room detail... actually very cool.
:derek: TPR's resident ent!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/disneys-art-of-animation-resort-one-month-from-opening/

It is hard to believe but Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is set to open in just one month. A whimsical, watery world unfolds for guests in the Finding Nemo wing, the first phase set to open May 31. This resort, which includes family suites, celebrates rich storytelling while immersing guests inside the sketch books of animators to the playful “worlds” of favorite Disney•Pixar classics. Take a look at the newest video in the “From the Drawing Board” series…

YouTube Videolink
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Disney has released a new piece of concept art for Splitsville opening at Downtown Disney West Side later this year.
img-photos-22-Exterior-Rendering.jpg
Starting this fall, Splitsville, located in Downtown Disney West Side, will reinvent bowling for America with 50, 000 square feet of fun and 30 lanes on two floors. Guests will come for the bowling but stay for the food. Between strikes and spares, guests can feast on menu items including hand-tossed pizza, fresh-rolled sushi and hand-cut filet sliders served right at the lane. Beyond a great hangout for friends and families, the all-new day-and-nightime venue also will be available for birthday parties and corporate events. (©Disney)
Viewed 1801 times

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/downtown-disney-car-masters-weekend-returns-to-walt-disney-world-resort-june-2-3/

“Red car! Blue car! BIG TRUCK!”

I have to say that the vocabulary of my toddler, who is learning to talk right now, has been greatly shaped by the films (and toys and books and pajamas) of “Cars” and “Cars 2.” So, there’s a great chance we’ll be heading to Downtown Disney here at Walt Disney World Resort June 2-3 to attend Downtown Disney Car Masters Weekend.

This event, now in its second year, celebrates everything “Cars.” There will be meet and greets with Lightning McQueen, Mater (my son’s favorite!), and Finn McMissile, as well as a movie marathon at AMC Downtown Disney 24 with showings of “Cars” and “Cars 2.”

New elements that will debut this year include an appearance by automotive designer Chip Foose, who contributed to the design of Ramone in the “Cars” film and in the upcoming Cars wing of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort; a LEGO interactive zone; “Cars”-themed topiaries; a DJ and food trucks. Jay Ward, Cars guardian, will also make an appearance.

Returning fun will include a chance for guests to test-drive Ridemakerz model cars and browse a car show presented by Hess that will feature more than 100 classic, muscle and exotic cars. Families can even vote for their favorite car this year. GM will also have their latest and greatest models on display.

See you out there!
cmw496635LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1729 times

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:05 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/disney-parks-authentic-showno-perfect-for-summer-fun/

shno123234LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times
One of the many hats I get to wear in my role in Disney Theme Park Merchandise is discovering new and exciting products to share with guests. Several months ago, I visited the set of ABC’s hit show, Shark Tank. While on the set, I listened to a product idea presented by entrepreneur, Shelly Ehler, which I felt would be a perfect match for Disney Parks.

The product idea that Shelly shared was the ingeniously designed ShowNo, an all-in-one cover up and towel! I thought the ShowNo’s patented neck slit design and convenient pocket made it a perfect companion for someone visiting a Disney water park or for guests staying at a Disney resort hotel. The ShowNo can be used as a convenient cover up, yet the design still allows for it to lay flat as a beach towel. It’s made from an absorbent, 100% cotton material, and is ideal for drying off after a day playing in the water.

The Mickey and Minnie Mouse-inspired ShowNo’s are currently available at Walt Disney World Resort’s two water parks – Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. The Disney Parks authentic ShowNo’s will also be available online at Disneyparks.com/Store but only until Thursday, May 10!

You can see the Shark Tank episode that features the ShowNo by visiting http://www.abc.com/SharkTank (look for episode 313 from week 13).

Happy Summer!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/disneys-art-of-animation-resort-merchandise-comes-to-life/

art117589LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times
With the opening of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort only a few weeks away, I sat down with Disney Design Group Artist Bob Holden to review some of the new merchandise we’ve developed. You may recall that Bob and I have previously discussed his work with merchandise for Disney Vacation Club Resorts and Disney’s Aulani, a Resort and Spa in Ko ‘Olina, Hawai’i. Bob told me that Walt Disney Imagineering was a key partner for the creation of this merchandise.
art227589LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times

“The Walt Disney Imagineering team was an outstanding partner,” exclaimed Bob. “They provided the art files that we used for the merchandise. The designs that you see on the shirts and other items were lifted directly from artwork that guests will see at the new resort.”
art337589LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times

You can see the main art we used on merchandise on the outside of Animation Hall, the check-in building at the Resort. Bob also used the colorful diamond pattern found at the resort as a background for on several items. The shirt images were also taken directly from the resort (look for the Ariel image and others inside Animation Hall).

There will be two pins created for the opening. The open edition pin uses an image of Crush from the Disney•Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” wing. The limited edition pin has an edition size of 500 and will be released at the Ink and Paint Shop in the resort on May 31.
art447589LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times

As for my favorite items, I liked the paint brush pen and the tumbler with a straw. Since I’m a fan of roadside architecture, I thought the wall decals of the Radiator Springs’ signs was a fun addition.

As for future items, Bob said they are still developing retail versions of lamps and shower curtains that are similar to items that will be found in guests’ rooms. Those retail items will be arriving at a future date.

Bob said he was most impressed with the colorful details found throughout the resort.

“I really found myself being immersed in a colorful and fun environment,” explained Bob after he visited the location. “The details made me feel like I was being transported to each character’s world, which is what we do best at Disney.”

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/celebrate-solstice-june-20-with-midsummer-feast-at-raglan-road-at-downtown-disney/

We call it the “luck of the Irish” when Chef Kevin Dundon’s back in the kitchen at Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant at Downtown Disney – this time cooking up a Midsummer Feast to celebrate the solstice, a big annual affair in Ireland (where Dundon is owner of a five-star hotel and cookery school).
rrm110291LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times

This year, summer begins in the Northern Hemisphere on June 20 at 7:09 p.m., just as Raglan Road’s Midsummer Feast is under way. The 6 p.m. dinner in the restaurant’s Raglan Room starts with cocktails, featuring one crafted just for the evening. Dinner begins with an elegant picnic basket of pates and jams including Dundon’s smoked salmon mousse and brandied chicken liver pate. After a palate cleanser of raspberry sorbet with a splash of Champagne, it’s on to a whole roast suckling pig with raisin and cider glaze, braised vegetables and roasted potatoes. Finish with a creamy, light sweet Dundon calls “Pimms Knickerbocker Glory.”
rrm330310LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times

rrm404199LARGE.jpg
Viewed 1664 times

Craft beer pairings include Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Jai Alai India Pale Ale and Bunratty Mead. Raglan Road’s house band, Creel, will perform along with the Raglan Road step dancers.

Cost is $90 per person, plus tax and gratuity. To book, call 407/938-0300 or 407/WDW-DINE, or visit http://www.raglanroad.com.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!