TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Posted on Screamscape today:

"Park News - (4/20/12) If you visit Kings Dominion this summer, be sure to get your ride on Volcano: The Blast Coaster while you can. The coaster isn’t leaving… but I’ve heard it reported by Coaster Crew that Volcano is expected to close down before the end of the summer to begin a major renovation on that ride and station area that is supposed to increase capacity and allow for three train operation."

If this is true, I guess it sucks for those planning a trip late this summer, but it sounds like awesome news.

The ride always had three trains but in recent years they've only been using two of them.I don't know how a dual load is gonna work with this ride as you'd somehow need to reconfigure the exit ramp to go between the two stations & under the ride to get back to the midway(likeon firehawk & batwing) otherwise the "new" station will just end up blocked by people exiting from either station.

I sure hope this doesn't interfere with long term plans for 2013 & 2014 resulting in a major ride addition having to be put on hold for a season or two but we shall see.

I sure hope this doesn't interfere with long term plans for 2013 & 2014 resulting in a major ride addition having to be put on hold for a season or two but we shall see.

Frankly, I'm all for infrastructure improvments like these, and I'm glad the park may be doing something to increase the capacity of very popular old attraction, rather than just giving up on it. As to whether this will "delay" the addition of a major new attraction, I imagine that the Volcano station upgrade is part of a long-term plan for improvement.

You need to spend your money where you think you need it the most.

http://www.kingsdominion.com/what-s-new/new-fast-lane

Fast Lane now has 15 attractions instead of 10. Avalanche, Dodgem, Hurler, Blue Ridge Tollway, and WaveSwinger have been added to the pass. Also, due to ride capacity restrictions, you can only ride Volcano: The Blast Coaster twice a day with your Fast Lane pass.

I'm glad the park has been aware of the Volcano issues, and has come up with a solution.

I think there looking out for the patron now more than the bottom line. I just looked at the pricing online for the fast lane and it drops $5 for every fast lane you buy. So if you buy lets say 4 online it is only $35 per person . Not a bad deal at all. As far as the Swings being added in my opinion it is to add to the fast lane list to make it more appealing to all ages or families. Just my thoughts.....

Why the heck would anyone need a Fast Lane for Wave Swinger? Even if the line's full it only takes 15-20 minutes to get through.

15-20 minutes is a pretty long line by KD standards.

A better ride to question would be Hurler.

Is using FP on medium rides like Waveswinger and Bumper Cars really necessary though? At BGW the line for the swings never goes over 10 minutes on normal days and 15-20 mins on busy days (most I’ve seen is about 30-35 min and that was on Labor Day weekend). Bumper cars lines can get longer, but that ride has lower capacity anyway.

The park is better off just keeping FP on major rides (coasters, water rides, Crypt/Drop Zone/Windseeker).

^ On opening day and the following Saturday this season the line stretched out of the station, down the stairs, and down that straight path. That was early spring days too, so it will of course get that long (if not longer) on nice summer Saturdays, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day weekends.

I personally think all these new rides on the Fast Lane are an advantage because they can market them to families as well as thrill seekers. Plus, this will spread out the Fast Lane users on 15 rides instead of 10. And so what if they only skip a 10-15 minute line? They are still getting what they paid for by front of the access line on those 15 rides. I believe the park is just adding the attractions that it is easy to add a Fast Lane entrance to on the list. Maybe if Fast Lane is a success this season, we will see more Fast Lane entrances built this offseason for rides like Anaconda, Grizzly, and Shockwave. They probably don't want to clog up there narrow exit ramps with Fast Lane users.

^ On opening day and the following Saturday this season the line stretched out of the station, down the stairs, and down that straight path. That was early spring days too, so it will of course get that long (if not longer) on nice summer Saturdays, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day weekends.

I personally think all these new rides on the Fast Lane are an advantage because they can market them to families as well as thrill seekers. Plus, this will spread out the Fast Lane users on 15 rides instead of 10. And so what if they only skip a 10-15 minute line? They are still getting what they paid for by front of the access line on those 15 rides. I believe the park is just adding the attractions that it is easy to add a Fast Lane entrance to on the list. Maybe if Fast Lane is a success this season, we will see more Fast Lane entrances built this offseason for rides like Anaconda, Grizzly, and Shockwave. They probably don't want to clog up there narrow exit ramps with Fast Lane users.

Was at work earlier thinking of that same thing. As I said before if someone wants to pay $55 for a fast lane then so be it. In my own opinion a way for a passer by that is on there way to there vacation to get a good amount of rides in on one day instead of making a 2 day event out of it.

Is using FP on medium rides like Waveswinger and Bumper Cars really necessary though? At BGW the line for the swings never goes over 10 minutes on normal days and 15-20 mins on busy days (most I’ve seen is about 30-35 min and that was on Labor Day weekend). Bumper cars lines can get longer, but that ride has lower capacity anyway.

The park is better off just keeping FP on major rides (coasters, water rides, Crypt/Drop Zone/Windseeker).

The park is better off just keeping fastlane off of the rides period....what's next the restrooms getting it?

I swear the next thing we'll probably see is mandatory "loose item holders"at rides in an attempt to make a quick buck....after all SFI seems to have gotten away with this so CF will probably do the same.

The park is better off just keeping fastlane off of the rides period....what's next the restrooms getting it?

I swear the next thing we'll probably see is mandatory "loose item holders"at rides in an attempt to make a quick buck....after all SFI seems to have gotten away with this so CF will probably do the same.

Is the park better off without it, or are you better off without it?

I'm amazed at the number of people that don't get "it".

Many of these rides don't "need" Fast Lane most of the time, you are absolutely correct. It is all in the perception of the buyer. Intimidator305 alreayd pointed this out, if you are on the fence about buying Fast lane for $50, which offer sounds better? $50 for 10 rides or $50 for 15 rides. (I'm making up the exact $ amount and # of rides to make a point, so no corrections are needed).

Also, when you go on the busiest of days even being able to four of five 10-20 minute lines is a big deal.

Can someone explain KDCOASTERFAN's position on Fast Lane? I'm not sure I understand his point after reading the same thing from him 25 times.