TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I still think they bring out a real dragon that eats annoying members of the GP while the train is sitting on the world's longest brake run.

How about a real dragon that eats annoying members of TPR who complain about the brake run?

So did anyone figure it out yet? I figure if it's any time, it's the night before seeing as that's what happened with the Leviathan announcement. And Dinosaurs Alive. And the new Windseekers. I'm thinking it's either a tunnel that will be added somewhere on the ride or park hours will be extended later (perhaps SPPN extended to midnight?)

It's a DARK ANNOUNCEMENT, that means they'll announce it will have a taller drop than MF. The CF executives will really cry.

I'm guessing it will be a tunnel as the ditch it goes into is pretty deep and it really didn't need to be that deep and the cinder block walls to the sides.

Based off the park map ( http://www.canadaswonderland.com/uploads/downloads/2012%20Park%20Map%20Web.pdf ) there is no tunnel on the park map. I know that we can't base it 100% of this, but I am going out on a limb and saying this "dark" announcement is not tunnel related.

Also you can now see the entrance to Dinos by Lucy's Tugboat and exit next to Boo Blasters. I am actually looking forward to doing Dinosaurs Alive this year. Any change in the $1 up charge for the show? It seems the reason it was done is Cedar Fair is essentially "renting" the movie rather then buying it as part of the Dino Alive stuff as well. Part of the benefit to this is that the company doing the Dino Alive exhibit will be responsible for upkeep etc.

^Sorry didn't see your post before I posted mine. Not happy about this, but who cares in the end...only a cosmetic element. Still will be a great ride.

See for me it's kind of the photo nerd in me that doesn't like the idea of the tunnel. Having walked all around the layout many times during the off season, I was always impressed just how close to the drop you can get. Also, I feel it takes away a little impact of the appearance of the drop.

At the end of the day though, it's a cosmetic issue and will not really have an impact on the ride. I am sure from 306' up this will be incredible to stare down at. This will have zero impact on how this baby rides so that's all that matters.

When they were first building this, I thought it would be cool if they made the tunnel look like you were plunging into a dragon's mouth that was rising out of bloody water.

After crashing back down to Earth and realizing that this was Cedar Fair, I think I'm gonna go with my gut instinct here and say the tunnel will just be an unpainted piece of drainage half-pipe like on Magnum and MF....perhaps surrounded by water outside of the culvert (if we're lucky).

Maybe they'll even run strobe lights in it for a season or three until they quit working?

Edited by Philrad71

Maybe there was a bit of a "gray-out" at the bottom of the drop like on MF and I305, so they're putting a tunnel there so they don't hear the GP's complaints on "how it isn't safe".:

Wouldn't make a difference IMO, I know when I get a grey-out I see spots before my eyes, even if I'm inside a tunnel.

Other than it possibly being ugly, I think it will only add to the experience if they add effects to it.

V Stellaclose: I was thinking the same thing too, but a large fence would be sufficient enough. There are other coasters in the park where guests can walk up close to a coaster's track (like Vortex and Skyrider).

Edited by asimowalk

I don't think that anyone has posted this idea yet, but I think the real reason there is a tunnel is primarily due to safety concerns. As far as I'm aware, the layout of this coaster is unique in that the first drop goes outside the park boundary. It's the only coaster that I know of that the general public could get very close to the first drop (just a few metres away). It's not in an "out of bounds" area like most coasters first drops and layouts - there isn't really a backstage area.

By putting a tunnel at the first drop the chance of anyone throwing anything at the coaster as it comes down the drop, and thereby injuring any riders, is avoided. I could be wrong but its just my reasoning behind the late addition of a tunnel so close to opening - Perhaps the safety inspectors made them do it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

^^It'll be interesting to see how this affects the ride experience. And have they had this planned from the beginning?

Nobody's ridden it yet, so it shouldn't really change anyone's experience.

Well, no public has ridden it, but park officials have. I am sure this really won't affect it that much to be honest.

I don't think that anyone has posted this idea yet, but I think the real reason there is a tunnel is primarily due to safety concerns. As far as I'm aware, the layout of this coaster is unique in that the first drop goes outside the park boundary. It's the only coaster that I know of that the general public could get very close to the first drop (just a few metres away). It's not in an "out of bounds" area like most coasters first drops and layouts - there isn't really a backstage area.

By putting a tunnel at the first drop the chance of anyone throwing anything at the coaster as it comes down the drop, and thereby injuring any riders, is avoided. I could be wrong but its just my reasoning behind the late addition of a tunnel so close to opening - Perhaps the safety inspectors made them do it.

Agree 100%.

Millennium Force's first drop is right next to railroad tracks and Perimeter Road, both of which are within throwing-distance of a train speeding by. They haven't built a tunnel around that yet, so it can't be that much of a concern. People could throw objects at moving coaster trains in almost any park around the world, to be honest.

Oh, and as far as this ride being unique, Goliath at SFOG spends a decent amount of time outside its park boundaries. This definitely isn't a first, and the tunnel for "safety reasons" is unprecedented (as far as being outside park boundaries is concerned) if that's really why it's being built.

The first drop is adjacent to the staff parking lot, pretty well back stage, so I think it would be ok regardless. Plus, security is right there. I can't recall how close the bus drop off is though, but I don't think it'll be right beside or near the drop. The tunnel I doubt is a late addition. The park did share with us that they were saving great information for closer to opening. They want to keep the attraction fresh and top of mind. There could be some more info over the next two weeks, you never know!

I can't believe there is only about a week left until preview night! Really looking forward to trying this out.

EDIT: Just read the Twitter thingie, they need to theme the tunnel to a space monster with a ribcage on the inside so riders can be pooped out into space.