TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

The best thing about Carowinds is they sell Fat Tire there. I definitely don't believe that a few idiots should spoil everyone else's fun. Therefore, I think this is a good move by Kennywood. The park has good security. I've seen real Pittsburgh cops patrolling there. So, where's the problem?

The only real issue I can see is the chair lift to the upper parking lot. Alcohol and ski lifts don't mix.

Speaking as someone that worked in a park where alcohol was sold for several years....people don't get drunk in amusement parks. Sure there will be an OCCASIONAL one or two, but 99.9% of people that buy beer in a theme park are only buying one or two to enjoy during a downtime between rides. In eight years I had to call security ONE time because of a drunk guest causing a disturbance.

Yeah... because most amusement parks which have been probably charge something like $11 for one

Until last summer when I was vising some parks out east, I thought beer sales at American parks was something widespread and was surprised to find parks that did not sell it. Elitch Gardens sells beer and some mixed drinks, and I never saw any real problems with guests drinking in the time I worked there. People get a 21 and up must get a wristband before they can buy drinks, and can carry them throughout the park. Pretty much the only catch to that is they must either finish their drink or have a non-riding person in their group with a wristband hold it while they are on a ride so it is not unattended at all. I don't understand why some think drinking responsibly is so bad for the family environment at parks when foul-mouthed teens and line jumpers are the ones actually causing more damage to that family friendly atmosphere. Besides, at $8 or $9 for a beer, really helps limit consumption and cut back on problems. And like has been mentioned, many people have only couple drinks at most, which still brings in a huge amount of revenue.

Well put! I was really surprised the first time we went to SFMM and didn't see anywhere to grab a cold beer (think it was 90 on our 1st visit). I think that was the first big theme park I have been too where I couldn't find a place to grab a cold one!

The best thing about Carowinds is they sell Fat Tire there.

Oh man...where did they sell that? I LOVE Fat Tire! We were there last year when it was like 100 degrees and ended up having to buy a Bud.

Oh man...where did they sell that? I LOVE Fat Tire! We were there last year when it was like 100 degrees and ended up having to buy a Bud.

Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly where it was sold in the park. But it stood out in my mind that they had Fat Tire for sale. I think I would up not buying one because it was just too damn hot that day to get dehydrated by alcohol. But I loved that it was available at a park.

First, I have no problem at all with Kennywood selling beer. The area they picked (by the lagoon) will be nice, and the park will make sure people don't abuse it. Like others have said, many other parks offer beer and there aren't any real problems. I just think it's another great way to get some added income for the park!

Kennywood has posted a nice photo update on Black Widow to their Facebook page: Black Widow Update!

I'm very excited for this addition, and I really like how the ride area is shaping up! The "garden areas" they're setting up for the queue will look nice. I can't wait to see what this looks like assembled!

Kennywood selling beer could be great for the park, or it could be terrible. The part that is good is that they will be able to make a lot more money, as a lot of people love beer. The bad thing is that some people who are drunk might be wandering around the park, disturbing the family friendly experience. If they have security at the entrances and exits of the beer garden, I wouldn't mind. They need that money to replace the atrocity called Garfield's Nightmare.

I was native to Pittsburgh for over thirty years and the reaction of locals sort of surprises me. Pittsburgh has always been a city rooted in blue collar and a "shot and beer" town. I never thought I would see the level of complaining from locals about beer that I have seen so far. I figured I would see more complaints about people not being able to walk around the park with it. Hell, one of the most poplar t-shirts I would always see in The Strip was "Pittsburgh, a beer drinking town with a football problem". I do know from living there for so many years that natives tend to resist change. That is the only thing I can think of what is causing the complaining about this.

I need to look up the one persons response that they where going to go to Disney World this year instead because of the beer at Kennywood. That was just hilarious. First off, I hope see plans on avoiding Downtown Disney and Epcot. Second, why would you not go to Disney in the first place if you could afford it instead or in addition to. It is just funny that small area with controlled beer would be the factor in a larger financial decision like that.

We have become a society where a few people who like complaining whenever something doesn't go their way now user the internet to mobilize the minority who share their view and then amplify their message. These people have always existed but they never had an instantaneous platform to be heard.

When someone really likes something, they might comment positively online, but rarely will they mobilize others in an effort to praise.

^^ & ^^^ YES!!!

Just like Buffalo, Detroit & Cleveland, Pittsburgh is a rust belt, blue collar drinking town and proud of it. I had to laugh when we went to Fantasy Island (which is your traditional family amusement park) a couple of years ago and ordered a Molson Canadian for $6.50. I about crapped when the guy hands me a beer that was about the size of a Big Gulp!

I said to my partner..."only in Buffalo (and Germany)!!"

Same paint job, different colors, as Spin Spider at Tusenfryd. Same owner of both parks. My guess would be that this ride, just like the one at Tusenfryd, will receive a sign on each side of the top with Kennywood on them, as well as spider eyes on each side of it, just like Spin Spider.

I didn't think they could fit something that large into Pitt Fall's little tiny area. Well, I was wrong. The paint scheme looks nice. To make up for Pitt Fall, I think Kennywood needs another Pittsburgh themed ride. Nothing much but a black and yellow paint scheme. Nothing too prominent, like Pitt Fall's color scheme wasn't super prominent, it didn't stand out to me. Something like that would be great.

Same paint job, different colors, as Spin Spider at Tusenfryd. Same owner of both parks. My guess would be that this ride, just like the one at Tusenfryd, will receive a sign on each side of the top with Kennywood on them, as well as spider eyes on each side of it, just like Spin Spider.

*snip*

Exactly what i'm hoping for, actually. It's themed without really looking out of place.

And spin spider is an amazing ride, so this being a "Clone" of it is an awesome thing for the park.

Black Widow has finally gone vertical. Kennywood has posted a time lapse construction video to their Facebook page.

This long looks like it's going to be a lot larger than I anticipated. It's already looking to dominate the area. Should be interesting to see how the whole thing fits in.

I have to agree that Black Widow is looking awesome! They're really moving with the construction, and I love the look of the whole area, with the landscaping and the pavers around the ride. Can't wait to see this giant flat start testing! I'll be curious what they decide to do from a lighting standpoint. Simple flood lights, or something more detailed?