TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The ERT for season pass holders seems to be a chain wide change this year. I know at least X Flight and Mr. Freeze at SFSTL are doing the same.

I thought it was a great bonus with Green Lantern last year at SFGAdv

Edited by larrygator

First off, this is my first PTR and I left my camera at home so I had to use my phone's.

Ride Count

-El Toro (4)

-Bizarro (2)

-Kingda Ka (1)

-Nitro (1)

-Green Lantern (1 too many)

Breakdowns

-Green Lantern- for about an hour around noon

-Runaway Mine Train- In the morning for close to an hour.

-Parachute Tower and Sky ride- Because of wind?

-El Toro- For about an hour in the early afternoon

-Kingda Ka-In the afternoon

-Rolling Thunder- Removed one train, and added another.

They were using the new security screening and it seemed to move much faster. The worker, an older man, told me to be sure to check out Batman and Robin: The Chiller. Hahaha.

We entered about 5 minutes after opening and the park was dead.

120415_0001.thumb.jpg.72765c5f565639320f5ee61a2b00860a.jpg

120415_0002.thumb.jpg.e1d2d9cae3922ab123a17d8a9c3ec2fd.jpg

We went over to El Toro first. We walked right onto the front row. What a way to start the new season! After, we stayed on 2 more times, but on a different row. I was shocked that they had 2 trains going. The operators struggled to get each train half full.

We then started to make our way over to Bizarro.

120415_0003.thumb.jpg.42d075d18944e95de94bb17824acf106.jpg

While we were walking over, I noticed that the Runaway Mine Train had one train on the track and was broken down.

120415_0005.thumb.jpg.0560d5700d767f698f18f7d05dd06354.jpg

120415_0004.thumb.jpg.5707a3b2a9dad701d877c4f3daf3b59c.jpg

We first rode Bizarro front row. They were running two trains. The third was on the transfer track though. As you can see, there was no one there. The only seats that were filled were the first 4. The audio was working and sounded great. After, we switched rows to the back.

We then went over to Kingda Ka. We waited about 20 minutes for front row! Yea, 20 minutes for front row! The ride did break down twice while were in line but nothing major happened. The train before us rolled back though. Our barely made it over. Around 1, the ride broke down, and stayed closed and we didn't see it reopen before we left at 3.

Then, we rode Nitro. There was a 40 minute wait for front row because there were only two trains. The third was in pieces behind the storage shed. Congo rapids was drained.

We then went to lunch...

120415_0007.thumb.jpg.5f81d4e0638ea6dfeb4b913fd63858f1.jpg

120415_0008.thumb.jpg.f5b22ff66ebdf1650fd34b4526877e3f.jpg

On our walk back in at around 1, and the sky ride stopped for about a minute. That would be scary to have been on! The sky ride never reopened after that. The winds weren't too strong, but the Parachute Tower was closed too.

After lunch we went back to El Toro for our fourth and final ride on it. There was about a 20 minutes wait for last row. The crew for that ride was AMAZING. They didn't stack once when we were in the station.

120415_0009.thumb.jpg.1a9a9e1a84bc85506ee60710555f6b8d.jpg

El Toro's second drop

120415_0010.thumb.jpg.00acffe6ba1e90e47135d828219e757c.jpg

While in line I noticed Rolling Thunder was running the Blue and Yellow trains on the right side. Earlier in the day the Green and blue trains ran on the right side. The left side never opened.

120415_0011.thumb.jpg.91cb1b6177d1890353b8768f354d7558.jpg

120415_0012.thumb.jpg.792f1e56bce7867f492a57996af3927a.jpg

Too slow

120415_0013.thumb.jpg.376172aef26bd55318098e81c6ee6cc0.jpg

Too early

120415_0014.thumb.jpg.74d45880750b960c8c045981f29b0af7.jpg

Just right!

120415_0015.thumb.jpg.055541a65044ef6061d6eb4f87dc30e6.jpg

Somewhat of a nerd shot

Lastly, we went to Green Lantern. We waited 60 minutes for front row as only 2 trains were running. The third was still in pieces behind the transfer shed. The crew was also incredibly slow. Painfully slow. There was 6 attendants checking harnesses but they still managed to stack for a few minutes each time. Not good.

120415_0018.thumb.jpg.40697d8791f778d764cbd5e1aab325fb.jpg

Artsy short. Too bad the incline loop is incredibly rough, almost painful

120415_0019.thumb.jpg.c722facdfb5616a45ab9c45fe0771387.jpg

Corkscrews. The worst part.

At that point, the park was getting crowded so we left.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the railing in Green Lantern's station were covered with this sticky black substance. It was disgusting and stuck to your clothes. There also was a few park maps stuck in it.

I bet they repainted that wierd textured black coasting on the railings. It's been almost completely scraped off by guests who try to scratch their name on it, so I wouldnt be surprised if they slopped a new coating on. Thats probably what the black stuff was.

^ The day was pretty good. But did you see park maps stuck in the sticky stuff? There was two or three in it yesterday.

Also, does anyone know then the third trains will be ready?

Are you talking about Green Lantern? If so, then I hope that train gets on a truck and makes its way back to the park it originally came from, Six Flags Magic Mountain! But in seriousness, is the train from The Riddler's Revenge supposed to come back to California?

^Why would they send it back? The two-year-old ride at Great Adventure needs it to handle the crowds plenty more than the almost 15-year-old one tucked away in the back of Magic Mountain. I was there in June and the thing didn't have more than a station wait, but I've yet to see Green Lantern die down to less than at least a half hour, and that's on a slow day.

^Because SFMM can run only one train on Riddler's for several months out of the year, wheras SFGAdv can run three trains the entire year. Now, SFMM probably needs a third train just as much as SFGAdv does. It really annoys a lot of people to have a 2 hour wait with one train running. While Great Adventure can easily pull 1500 per hour, SFMM struggles to hit 500 per hour, and usually gets much lower than that.

^Because SFMM can run only one train on Riddler's for several months out of the year, wheras SFGAdv can run three trains the entire year. Now, SFMM probably needs a third train just as much as SFGAdv does. It really annoys a lot of people to have a 2 hour wait with one train running. While Great Adventure can easily pull 1500 per hour, SFMM struggles to hit 500 per hour, and usually gets much lower than that.

Great Adventure cannot pull off 1500 per hour with 3 trains. Running two trains they were averaging 600 riders per hour so I doubt that one more train would do that much. Even during the summer last year with 3 trains the capacity was low. The ride was at least a 2 hour wait from the one hour mark sign on the queue.

^Hourly capacity= (3600/per second dispatch rate)*number of people a train can hold. Green Lantern is just over two minutes long, but let's assume 2:30 just to be safe (actually, this is the length RCDB has listed). This means that, running two trains, the capacity of Green Lantern is at least 672 per hour. However, with a third train, the MCBR is located about 90 seconds into the course. If the trains can dispatch right as the MCBR is cleared, the capacity is increased to 1120 per hour. Riddler's Revenge's has a duration very similar to GL's, but has a higher theoretical capacity due to having 8-car trains. SFGAdv may need their third train more in the summer months, but SFMM definitely needs the third train in the winter months; SFGAdv can manage 90-150 second dispatches, while, during the winter months, SFMM gets about one train loaded every 4-6 minutes.

When I visited in August, all three trains were running, and were being cycled very consistently. I believe the ride was being run to its full capacity, whether it is 1100 or 1500. Right next to GL, Superman had to deal with 4-5 minute dispatches with two trains. I can probably say that there will come a year when SFMM will need their train more than SFGAdv does. Maybe now now, but this will probably be true a few years down the road.

Something else not helping the capacity is the single rider being closed a lot. It has been closed all 3 trips I have taken to the park this year and was closed during my last 2 trips at the end of last season. I see at least a few spots every train going out empty.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught the first Great Adventure advertisement on Travel Channel. The only two rides it mentions by name are Nitro and Sky Screamer, but it also had shots of Kingda Ka, El Toro... and an SLC Looks like it really is theme park season!

I will be at Great Adventure tomorrow morning for a few hours. Maybe opening to one. I hope to get in a ton of rides like I did a few weeks ago. How crowded do you think the park will be?

Very crowded, It is Girl Scout weekend, there is a dance competition tomorrow and a Gym Class Heroes concert. If you are going at opening, you should be ok though since I have gone to the park at opening 4 times this year so far and every visit until 12:30 - 1:00, lines have been short.

OK. That doesn't sound too bad. I've had the same experience this season. Before lunch I got 5 rides in, all walk on, then after lunch I was faced with large lines.

I think Great Adventure could really use a display by the ride entrance with a real estimate of how long the lines are going to be. It's really hard to tell especially on Skull Mountain and Batman as their lines are mostly indoors. Superman could also use that too.