Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Pg. 782: Trip report inc. some Thunderbird construction
Users viewing this topic: Bobby2889, dadofgage, glucky11801, RogueBird, tatsu_dude and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 am

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding a new Travel Channel show filming on location to highlight Mammoth.

Producers for the Travel Channel will travel to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari in May to shoot an episode of “Extreme Water Parks.”

“We’re told Mammoth – our new water coaster – was top on their list for this new show,” says park president Dan Koch. “We’re launching a video contest to search for featured riders for the upcoming shoot.”

The park’s “Super Fan Family” contest is explained on the park’s website: HolidayWorld.com/SuperFanFamily. A family of up to six members will win season passes, HoliCash, use of a Bahari River Cabana, overnights in one of the new Rudolph’s Christmas Cabins at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, plus the opportunity to be the featured Mammoth riders during the Travel Channel shoot. Producers for the Travel Channel will judge the video contest.

“Anticipation for Mammoth has been huge,” says Koch. “We’re in the testing stage right now and the test dummies come back into the station smiling ride after ride.” Mammoth is a record-breaking one-third mile long, with seven hills, including a steep 45-degree drop. Six- and eight-passenger boats are propelled uphill by linear induction motors.

The Mammoth episode of “Extreme Water Parks” will air on the Travel Channel, which is available in nearly 96 million U.S. households, later this summer.

Holiday World will open its 66th season on May 5. Splashin’ Safari, named the nation’s #1 water park by TripAdvisor.com, will open for the season on May 11 with the premiere of Mammoth – the world’s longest water coaster. For more information about the parks, visit HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.
7070135309_243c30e43a_n.jpg
Viewed 1192 times
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 am

Holiday World annouced on Twitter that they will have new kettle corn this year: https://twitter.com/#!/HolidayWorld/status/191272663510040576
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby tubs023 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Postby Raven Maven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Paula Werne
Holiday World Communications
HoliBlog, Facebook & HoliTwit

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby 10ryansmith » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Im not sure if I should be happy or sad about this... On the one hand, that redone track looks amazing but on the other hand; no timberliners... Im going to go with happy as it means that HW is opening soon.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 am

Yes, it's a shame that the Timberliners aren't on track yet, but I'm still geeked enough about the new track work and reprofiling to extend my trip to Indy for DCI finals an extra day so I can head down there and get some rides. The video looked great! I wonder if there's going to be some extra airtime in the turnaround section now?

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 am

^According to the numbers, there is. In the Voyage construction video posted a few months ago, Chad Miller from the Gravity Group team said that there is now an additional 0.1 second of airtime on the ride bringing the number to 24.3. Its not much, but it will make a difference.
Never forget that this hobby is all about having fun!
Enjoy the ride for what it is. Don't bash it for what it's not.

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:55 pm

^Then again, adding airtime to the voyage is like adding water to the ocean :P I'm excited to see what this renovation does to reduce injuries. I don't think I've had a headache that bad in my life...
~Signature~

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

coasterlover420 wrote:^Then again, adding airtime to the voyage is like adding water to the ocean :P I'm excited to see what this renovation does to reduce injuries. I don't think I've had a headache that bad in my life...

I marathoned it and only had a slight headache. And that was before and after the JOLT before the last 90 was attended to. Call me a masochist...but I still loved it.

I did make the mistake of riding Mean Streak before it got work in the back and came away with a really nasty headache that took 1000mg+ by the time the day was over to dull the pain.

Also LOL @ anology. Love it.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby chargersmichael » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:57 pm

HW released a new video showing off the first test run of Mammoth.

YouTube Videolink
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!