TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fred's Funfair [RCT3]

Fred's Funfair

Rules and notes

Right now I know I said I wouldn't start hp another thread but just keep everything in my 'Slow descent to madness' one but I was looking through some of the downloads on ShyGuysWorld and came across my old Oakridge family park and really wanted to try another park in that style.

Now if you don't remember the park and what style it was in, basically I built while playing the game. This meant that I had to earn the money to build new stuff and any mistakes (several of which I did make) were permanent until I could fix them. Now to try and keep it realistic I've come up with these set of guidelines.

*One year in updates terms is 3 in game years (this is due to how fast the game goes meaning that I would never make enough to change things and keep it fresh each year until the park had grown quite a bit)

*Charge per ride but under these guidelines:

Gentle Rides/Transport Rides: £0.50 - £1

Small Thrill Rides: £1.00 - £1.50

Large Thrill Rides/Small Rollercoaster's: £1.50 - £2.50

Large Rollercoaster's: £2.50 - £4.00

Food and Drink/Gifts: Varies

(these may seem a bit cheap but I want to steadily advance not zoom ahead by charging the maximum price)

*No building above 80ft (THIS PARK ONLY NOT GENERAL RULE)

*Can't alter local woodland (THIS PARK ONLY NOT GERNERAL RULE)

Now hopefully that made sense. Not related to the game mechanics I will introduce my own story problems from time to time to hopefully keep it a bit fresher but nothing to major (like rides being closed for story based reasons rather than in game breakdowns).

As for the park itself basically it's built on the premise of a combination of my favourite and most popular realistic parks that I've worked on in the past (as always it'll be NCS). In it you'll hopefully see Uncle Fred's Fun Park, Oakridge Family Park and the fairground park I was doing a few months ago. The park itself in located in Devon, UK in amongst some fields (as you'll see) on a small 100x100 map not all of which will be open for me to build upon. Also to made it more difficult I started with £0 cash and a £10,000 loan already taken out so will have to be £20,000 in debt from the start. Should make things more interesting hopefully. The timeline, although not dated is meant to start some where around the 60's.

Anyway enough blathering here's the actual park update.

Hope you enjoy.

--------------------------------------

Fred's Funfair

Well this is Frederick Hanton here setting up this blog for a new park I've had the pleasure of being able to start up. Well I say park its pretty much a fairground at the moment but we'll see more of that soon anyway.

Anyway first some background and such so you can actually see what's going on. Well you see I've always been interested in the amusement industry since I was a kid, never really feeling that I'd like to follow my father with his farming career. Luckily this didn't bother my dad and he has supported me with whatever I wanted to do. Unfortunately lately my father has been finding the farm harder and harder to run what with having opened a farm shop several years earlier, and his work force slowly dwindling as factory jobs seem to be more favourable these days. This meant that he was left with too much land to work with his farm hands he had left.

(father's farmshop)

Now this is where his support was shown the most. A local fairground was selling up. The owner, too old to carry on with the business and a good friend of my father agreed to sell several of the rides to me so with first pick of the rather large selection of rides he had available me and my father headed down to the bank to see what kind of financial help I could get. Several thousand owed to the bank later (£20,000 in total) and we have a few of the rides my fathers friend was selling (the rest went to local travelling fairs) and thanks to my father generosity a small strip of land next to his farm shop to build on.

(this photo shows the land I have to use (the strip in the same field as the farm shop) initially, as well as the field behind it which is owned by my father and up for negotiation if things go well)

Clearing the field and enlarging the carpark left us with £10,000 left which we piled into as many of the rides as we could afford and some stalls to get us up and running.

So with no money left (barely enough to hire the ride operators, mechanics and cleaners.) we opened up and hoped for the best. Also of note while I remember. We have a building height limit of 80ft and the trees you see on the overview are protected woodland and aren't to be touched. Both of these are a bit restricting but not the end of the world. Anyway here's how the first day went.

First Day Report:

Arriving early in the morning you can already see several guests inside the small fair and the rides starting their testing for their debut.

Hey look its just like Disney's Mainstreet. No seriously this little lined avenue leading up one of the fair's thrill ride's, The Cage, is our small little mainstreet where you can find several small stalls with various fairground games (darts, coconuts shy's and the such). Interestingly the first bit of bad news is the basketball game you can see to the side isn't open as we couldn't find the staff to man it which was a shame but oh well. Still you can buy a cookie to cheer you up.

This side of the fair houses both of our rides for our smaller guests as well as well as a burger bar. Both the slide and the Carousel did rather well on the opening day which was nice. The Carousel especially was getting good reviews, which was a bonus considering we'd spent some extra money replacing some of the horses and painting the rest.

Now for something that's not such good news. This is our ticket hut and Fireball our Roll-O-Plane, both of which failed to make their debut on the first day. Fireball was a real shame as were waiting on its engine which had been accidently loaded onto the wrong trailer, ending up at some other park. It should hopefully be here soon but we were told that several weeks ago so were not holding our breaths. The ticket hut however is waiting for a new ticket machine and although a pain it just meant that tickets had to be bought at the rides so queues were a little longer.

As it started getting dark another problem was highlighted (no pun intended). A lack of lights meant it was impossible to see as soon as darkness descended so we had to close the fair up early. Will have to get this sorted as you cant have a fair that doesn't open at night. Still I managed to get this photo of Rotor before the light disappeared. (The thing in the background is Rotor's trailer in case your wondering. It seemed as good a place as any to leave it if you ask me.)

Anyway that's all for now. Opening day had mixed successes with the rides that were open doing well but still only having four of them there and longer queues due to the tickets hut being closed meant that the crowd wasn't visiting just for the fair, most were just popping in after doing some shopping to keep their kid's quiet. Still I'll hopefully be able to return with another update soon where hopefully everything is working fine and money and excitement is rolling in.

Till then.

F Hanton.

Edited by QueerRudie

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid Season 1 Report:

Well I'm back again with a quick update. Firstly the generator for Fireball finally turned up and we got it up and running, which was useful as its turned out to be our most popular ride with queues extending out onto the path.

We also managed to get the ticket booth up and running which meant that ride waiting times were shortened as they could buy their tickets here rather than having to pay at the ride.

This pictures shows that the basketball game is still not running yet, mainly due to us forgetting about it but also due to funds not being there to hire anyone still. This also highlights the fairs main problem at the moment in the form of the litter everywhere. The one cleaner we have obviously isn't enough for the hundreds of guests we receive each week. Dad can also be seen in this photo in front of the dart board gamestall in chatting to a guest (bald bloke in brown).

Finally a attempt at a overview of the fair from the top level of Rotor. Shows how busy we really are and also that we got lights installed so night time operations are very viable.

All in all the fair is doing pretty well at the moment and we hope to be able to introduce a new ride next season to keep the visitor numbers up. I'll be able to report whether this will be possible later in the season though as at the moment funds are once again a bit tight.

Till next time.

F Hanton

Late Season 1 Report:

Well I've just got a few pictures for you all at the moment including these couple of night ones which is when the fair and rides really look nice.

These two above show both Fireball (the Roll O Plane incase I haven't mentioned its name) and The Cage.

The others are these.

Now the Burger Bar was moved a few weeks ago to make this walkway (instead of blocking the path like it used to). Then a week later this trailer arrived with Spin Out on the side. Now despite the basketball stall not opening all season we've still made some money and we decided that rather than getting the basketball show up and running for our second season a new ride would be much more crowd pleasing. Now although I obviously know what the new ride is I'm afraid you'll have to wait till next season to find out.

This one shows my fathers farm shop at night which although not much to do with the fair he wanted me to post it here for advertising sakes. Dam man and his free advertising.

So that's all for now. I may do one more report before the end of the season and will try to get the earnings and ridership stats for the rides in case your interested in that sort of thing.

Till then.

F Hanton

Replies:

molemaster43: Thanks and I'm gld you like the sound of the concept and I hope I can keep it interesting for you.

mcjaco: Cheers and I just looked up the park you mentioned and thats pretty much the idea I'm going for.

End Of Season 1 Report

Not much in the way of pictures today just really a recap of how the fair did in its first year. Despite running on only four rides for a third of the season we still seem to have taken enough to justify the purchase of the new ride (despite how the unused basketball stall feels about it).

Anyway here's some ride stats for season one.

Season 1:

Most Popular ride: The Cage (1425)

Highest Earner: The Cage (£1,345.45 at £1 per ticket)

Most Popular: Rotor (favourite of 155 guests)

Lowest Earner: Spiral Slide (£42.95 at £0.50 per ticket)

Least Popular: Spiral Slide (favourite of 0 guests)

This shows that the parks crowds seem to be mainly looking for a thrill rather than family relaxing rides. This should be good news given what we've got for next season. Still you'll have to wait till then to find out what Spin Out! is.

Finally I'll leave you with this fair shot. That's all for this season and the fair has been a great success with my father happy with increased customers too. Lets hope next season is just as good.

Till next time

F Hanton

Replies:

molemaster43: Nope none of them though you can find out below what it is (remember though althoguh I havent included a year, its in the 60's at the moment so I'm pretty sure the Tilt-a-whirl was the only one of the rides you listed around back then). I can't wait for it to gerow either so many ideas in my head just need to get there. I like the ideaof it growing bit by bit though hence the low ride prices.

Season 2 First Report

Well let me be the first to welcome you all back to another, hopefully successful season here at Fred's Funfair. Here I have some of the photos taken at the opening day of season two.

First one shows that despite it being opening day for season two Spin Outs! trailer still hasn't moved. Let's hope that's not a bad sign.

First thing that you notice is we finally had enough to get the basketball game up and running. Only took us a year to do so.

Next the big new thing for this year. This is Spin Out! a Eli Bridge Scrambler. This thrilling ride will certainly spin you around so make sure you get down to the fair to experience it first hand (interestingly enough this is a new model and the only ride in the fair not pre owned).

Finally some shots of our Fireball throwing its riders around and The Cage rising menacingly above the small midway.

Opening day was a success with more here than last year. Let's hope this continues as I've been looking into them new transportable rollercoaster's to really get this fair going. Anyway I'll be back later in the season to see if the new thrills continue to deliver.

Till then

F Hanton

Replies:

molemaster43: Thanks. Yep a basic ride but RCT peeps seem to really like it.

Season 2 Second Update

This years addition appears to have been a great choice as its only half way through the year and we've already managed to install some additions. Not excitingly big ones but ones that are fun and useful none the less.

The first is this skeeball game right next to the entrance and Fireball. Not exactly my cup of tea (I personally don't like games stalls) but the guests seem to enjoy it and also due to it being one of these ones that give you tickets when you win it doesn't need staff to operate it. Simply put money in collect balls, win tickets and exchange at the ticket kiosk for prizes.

Next is this Ice-cream hut. Bought second hand from another park it'll need repainting at the end of the season but the colour doesn't thankfully affect or reflect the ice-cream itself.

Finally we have these two photo's showing you Spin Out up close (thankfully it was the end of the day so the rain didn't affect su too bad) and just how busy we are. Lets hope these crowds continue so we can continue to add to your experience.

Till next time

F Hanton

Replies

molemaster: Thanks and I'm glad it worked it was the best way I could think of to carry it out.

Season 2 Third Update

Hey guys and girls. Just got a small update for you all for today. Got a few photo's to show you too. Not amazingly exciting stuff but some essentials. Firstly ride wise it seems to be going well this season with everything pulling it's weight.

The Cage however has had a few down days over the last few weeks so might need to keep a eye on it and give it a look over at the end of the season but still, it's running enough to pull in guest's which is what matters. Hopefully it wont be anything major and we can have a look at another new ride for next season. Looking at the land available though, it may not be long before we have to move some stuff around to fit new stuff in but hey, everything's portable so that shouldn't be too hard should it.

Now only got three photo's for you and there pretty boring but we don't want you to think we neglect our guests and staffs needs.

Firstly this shows that although not seen at all yet these toilets (portable ones though they may be) have been here since the fair opened and thanks to the ride line up have probably seen their fair share of use. Apparently though, we may need to get a few more soon as it gets a bit crowded here at times.

Next is this small porta cabin which was bought in this season after staff moaned about having no where to rest on breaks and stuff. As I said not exciting but just in case you saw the building and wondered what it was for. You ca also see The Cage having one of its downtime days I mentioned.

Finally a attempt at a overview as requested by a guest. Not the best attempt but this is the highest I can go to take a picture I'm afraid.

Anyway I'll definitely get back to you all before the season finishes with any new new's available regarding next season and also another look at the rides and how their faring.

Till then

Fred Hanton

Season 2 forth update

Well hopefully this one will be more interesting for you all. Got some night shots and also some exciting news. Firstly the night shots showing the new lights on most of the rides. We decided at the end of last season that at night the rides looked a bit dull all being a white colour so had some coloured bulbs installed. Now they all sport colours that go with the rides making them a lot more visually pleasing at night. Anyway here's some photos so you can judge for yourself.

The other news is some new trailers have turned up obviously containing something fun and exciting for us all (well hopefully). I took a few pictures for you all. Shows were also getting a bit crowded here.

Photo of the two new trailers that arrived last week. Not as fancy as Spin Outs trailers but still it means something new.

Photo of the area marked out for the new ride with Hank one of our two engineers overseeing something.

This will probably be it for our second successful season. I might come back with some rider stats for you all like last season and may have something new regarding the new ride but if not then we'll hopefully see you all next season.

Till then

Fred Hanton

Replies:

molemaster43: Thanks and wonder no more all is revealed in this post.

Season 3 First Update

Well I apologise for not getting your the stats at the end of last season but we were a bit busy with installing the new ride. Instead I have them here for you all. These are the ride stats for our second season.

Season 2:

Most Popular ride: Rotor (2575)

Highest Earner: Rotor (£4070.40 at £1 per ticket)

Most Popular: Rotor (favourite of 225 guests)

Lowest Earner: Spiral Slide (£148.50 at £0.50 per ticket)

Least Popular: Spiral Slide (favourite of 0 guests)

So as you can see Rotor has replaced The Cage in several of the positive categories while Spiral Slide is still bringing up the rear. Still its taken double what it took last season this season so it's not a complete failure.

Anyway here's a random photo of Rotor to celebrate it taking number one ride spot in the fair. Also sows just how busy it is (taken at the beginning of the third season in case you were wondering).

Now thats out the way lets get down to the exciting stuff. Remember the containers that I showed last update. Well these contained this.

As you can see our new ride is Dodgems. A classic bumper cars ride (not that this model is a classic. The newest we could afford). Now although gentler rides haven't been hugely popular in the fair were hoping that this will provide entertainment for all ages and ride preferences.

Other than that we added another small ticket based games stall for you all. This time a shooting one right next to Dodgems.

Just a random photo of Spin Out! showing how popular it still is despite it not being the new ride anymore.

Finally a attempt at a panoramic from the parking field to attempt to show you where everything is situated. Didn't work amazingly but I liked it anyway so choose to include it.

Anyway that's all for now. Hopefully the Dodgems will bring in some new guests as were going to need to purchase another ticket booth, as the current one is getting a bit overcrowded with it's duel purpose as a tickets counter and prize counter and with continued increase in ticket games it's only going to get worse. Also there's the toilet problems I mentioned last season to take care of.

Till next time

Fred Hanton

• 3 months later...

Season 3 Second Update

Hey guys and girls were back again with another update from our small little plot of fun. Been pretty busy for us here at the fair so far this season. The new Dodgems ride is popular with both the young and the older patrons it seems which is nice and allows families to have some fun on a ride together as this photo shows.

Unfortunately Rotor seems to be suffering from some kind of fault this season and has spent some time down which is a shame as it's our most popular ride. We've increased the inspections that the ride gets which will hopefully allow it to continue to run well this season where we can try and sort out the problem properly at the end.

While it was down though I took a picture of the fair from the top level of the ride. Not a lot of difference from the last picture like this I showed you but hey its still nice to see it all at once. Minus Spitfire of course which is to our right.

Finally we've also managed to get another ticket hut up and running which has helped a big deal with the problems mentioned at the end of the last season. We do plan on adding another one soon though as I'm happy to announce that we have some big plans ready to put into action as our fifth season draws close. Not going to tell you what though but I sure hope it'll be a big hit once when you all see it. Also it seems that this picture shows that the spiral slide is actually a bit busier than our records would suggest. Good old slide.

Till next time

Fred Hanton

Welcome back to our fair. The season has been great so far from the last time I spoke with you all. Thankfully increased inspections have meant that Rotor isn't suffering as much downtime as it was anymore so guests are still loving it as much as they always have done. The other big thing for this season that we had planned was to actually put some signs up for the park. After coming up with a simple logo we rented some trailers and lights and stuck the billboards in some nearby fields to help advertise the park (and the farm shop of course).

Seems to be working quite well as more people are noticing the fair now rather than just driving past it which is always good. As you can see we also put one up at the front gates just so were sure you know where you are. Good old cage still running strong in the background. The fair always looks nicer at night.

We also had comments on a lack of food in the fair so we added this small sweet stall next to Spiral Slide. Not exactly food as such but with the amount of families in the park a sound choice.

Finally we have some fencing and posts going up in between Spin Out! and the Dodgems. Were hoping the finished items will help alleviate some of the problems hinted at last season.

That's all for news at the fair at the moment. Hopefully you'll hear from me before this season ends but until then.

Have fun!

Fred Hanton