TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Recently saw Abduction. Even though it has Taylor Lautner in it, I thought it was a very good movie. Good amount of action and I love the fact that Taylor Lautner's character completely flipped out on the other guys. I also love the fact that this movie was based in Pittsburgh and some of the surrounding areas. Overall, great movie, I'd give it a 9/10.

Also, earlier this evening, I watched the Blind Side. The Blind Side is an amazing movie. I love all of these types of sports movies, and I was expecting a good movie and was not disappointed. It has a great story and is a happy movie, funny at times, and sad, making it a perfect mix. I recommend this movie highly and I give it a 9.5/10.

I saw the girl with the dragon tattoo last night and thought it was really good. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it did seem a but too long, though I'm not sure what they could have cut to shorten it.

Also, Inglorious Basterds was a bloody good time... With extra emphasis on the bloody.

I saw two movies this past weekend, one in the theater on Friday and one at home today (should be obvious which is which).

The Hunger Games: I wanted to like this movie, but the camerawork just killed it. It was just so shaky that it looked like the film was done by amateurs. I'm not opposed to camera shake when it makes sense, but this film just really overdid it and it ruined parts of the movie completely. In fact, it was so bad my mom almost had to leave the theater due to motion sickness (for reference, she had no problem with The Bourne Ultimatum). Other than that it was okay. I'm not a huge fan of teenages being forced to kill each other, but it was a decent story. The actors could have been cast better, but oh well. I'd probably give it a C+ (B if it was watchable, but the camera caused that level of demotion). I haven't read the book, and I'll probably wait for DVD on the sequels, but it was decently entertaining and probably better than anything else currently playing.

Real Steel-I wasn't initially interested in this, but since it got good ratings I figured it was worth seeing. It was entertaining, but I do think it is a bit overrated. Still, not a bad movie, although it does seem very similar to Rocky (especially the second half). Plus, I am a fan of Hugh Jackman. B-

Saw a few movies over the weekend:

Hunger Games

One of the better book adaptations I've seen. Sure, there were a couple of things left out of the books, but overall I thought it was very faithful to the book and a very good movie for anybody who hasn't read the books. I actually thought the casting of the roles was PERFECT and they all did a great job.

21 Jump Street

Absolutely hilarious. One of the better "Action Comedy's" I've seen in awhile. Go see it!!!

Casa De Mi Padre

Can't believe I wasted 2 hours on this thing. Had a couple of "funny" parts, but once you get over the fact that it's Will Ferrel speaking spanish (which is funny in itself for the first 5 minutes) it just turns out to be a stupid movie.

I have heard a lot of people say how they did not like the "shakiness" of the cameras in Hunger Games. First, I did not really notice it at all. Second, It adds to the quality and action of the film in my opinion. It's not supposed to look like it's being filmed on a tripod, it's live action scenes!

E1ticket5, I also loved seeing all the Capitol technology and whatnot. I loved the outfits and makeup of all the Capitol people too, some were pretty hilarious and outrageous. I thought the ending was rushed and some scenes could have been longer, but it was already a two and a half hour movie.

Lastly, on the subject of kids killing kids, It's a FREAKING movie!!! Get over it, if you don't want to see kids being killed, then don't see. it doesn't take all but common sense to realize that. I don't see why people are complaining about it, If you are going to see a movie, you should have at least some clue of what's going to happen.

When I read the premise for Rise of the Guardians, I couldn't help but think that it was way too childish for Dreamworks Animation, considering they have been releasing better quality movies than in their previous years. But they just released their first trailer, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually kind of excited for it. I mean, who would have thought that a movie about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the Sand Man saving the world could hold ground? The trailer actually looks pretty decent.

^ I got a kick out of Santa being a Russian guy with naughty and nice tattooed on his arms.

I just got back from the Hunger Games, I pretty much saw it on a whim and enjoyed it for what it was. I would have liked the satire to be a bit sharper and they needed explain some of the points about the game better (like how the capitol uses the games to make the districts jealous of each other in an attempt to prevent another uprising.)

Overall it is one of the best popular fiction adaptations done in a while, it even beats out a few of the Harry Potter films.

The Hunger Games : I'm a HUGE fan of the books and the movie was...good, don't get me wrong, but I can't help feeling something was not right about it? It felt extremely rushed and just seemed off in some way. Skipped over important parts and just overall seemed to not capture the books essence. It was still pretty decent though and the casting was great but I definately came out of the theatre feeling disappointed...

Saw two movies this weekend:

Drive

This movie was VERY boring. There was little to no action in it. The deaths, however, were very bloody and gorey, so that was cool. Overall - 3.5/10

The Hunger Games

OMG!! SO GOOD! Who gives a crap about the lame romantic junk, all about the insane action scenes. This movie is pretty graphic, which is what I love about it. You HAVE to see this movie. The only problem with it is the very shaky camera. 9.75/10

Edited by molemaster43

Drive

This movie was VERY boring. There was little to no action in it. The deaths, however, were very bloody and gorey, so that was cool. Overall - 3.5/10

Sorry dude, I have to disagree with you there, but then again, when I first saw it I knew that it wasn't for everyone. I was completely enveloped in the complexities of the characters, as well as the decisions they had to make out of morality, or their own well-being (in the best and worst sense of the word). I loved how the movie did not have to resort to cheap cliches that most action movies seem to dish out nowadays, and how the movie took advantage of the spacious dialogue, completely relying on the emotions of the characters and the gravities of each situation to explain what was happening throughout. Finally, the gory moments definitely brought a pleasant shock value. Couple that with the classic "heist-gone-wrong" setup and the hauntingly spectacular performances of Gosling and Brooks, and I find Drive to be a beautiful love letter to filmography.

Lasted 15 Minutes for the Hunger Games, hated that camera work enough for me to walk out and get a refund.

Mirror Mirror, Lilly Collins was bland, Roberts was better, The design was outstanding and some of those frocks where great. Overall not a bad take on the Snow White story.

I am VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY (and a million more very's) excited to see Cabin in the Woods. I am "trained" in horror movies... it is m favorite genre of film because I like to be entertained. I also like horror movies because sometimes routing for the villain is fun... like everyone wants Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface to kill... we don't want survivors... except maybe the occasional hot chick who returns in the sequel. America may be a culture attracted to violence, but I LOVE it all the same!

Cabin in the Woods is supposed to be a movie we have all seen a hundred times before, hence the most generic title ever, but it is billed as a new take on horror... a take on all sub genres from Creature to syfy and everything in between. It won't win any Oscars, but I guarantee it will be VERY entertaining, and that's good enough for me!

Finally got around to watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes the other night. I disliked the Tim Burton version of Planet of the Apes so much that I'd skipped the sequel in the theatres. I was pleasantly surprised by Rise--it had the heart that Burton's movie lacked, and they were wise enough to keep the story fairly simple.

Danny and I went to see The Hunger Games a couple of weekends ago. We loved it. You do have to get used to the shaky camera gimmick, which is totally unnecessary at some points. But overall we thought it was great. We both had read the book beforehand, though.

We rented Drive last weekend. I had mixed feelings about it. Danny was enthralled with it. I thought the storyline was a little bipolar. First it's a heist story with him playing the getaway driver; then no, wait, it's a romance with him falling for the girl next door; oh no, just kidding, it's a racing movie, he's going to be a race car driver; no, kidding again, it's a mob movie. I stayed awake for the whole thing, though, which really says something coming from me.

I just saw the most boring movie of my life ....Country strong.

I hated Country Strong, too! I had heard several people say it was such an amazing movie, but I was bored to death. Terrible music, terrible story.

Just saw "Wrath of The Titans".

It was fun.

Relentless. Loud. Big 3D.

Fun.

And Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson looked

(and sounded) like they were enjoying themself,

playing against (and with) each other,

as Hades and Zeus.