Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 678: New ride construction update!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm

That really is some amazing work Arrow did to get that timing right. I wish we could still see it in action, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen waits for LNM that justify all three trains running (or that people nowadays would care as much as they did back when the ride was new about seeing them hit the loops at the same time).
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:Screamscape seems to believe that there are indications of soft openings coming at the end of the month! I'll be there on the 14th, so I'm sure I'll miss them by a weekend or two, but just a heads up!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the first weekend in May. If I'm able to get up there, that's the only time I would be able to get off work and drive up.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby vacoaster09 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:That really is some amazing work Arrow did to get that timing right. I wish we could still see it in action, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen waits for LNM that justify all three trains running (or that people nowadays would care as much as they did back when the ride was new about seeing them hit the loops at the same time).

Does this only happen when they run 3 trains? Is it possible to do it with two? I wonder how soon after they dispatch the first train that they have to dispatch the second to get that perfect timing to synch the loops.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Even with three trains they stopped interlocking them years ago, I believe for maintenance reasons. And yes, they run three trains many times during the summer on Saturdays mainly.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Legoguy1395 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:00 pm

On the topic of Loch Ness Monster, does anyone have a picture of the control panel in the middle of the woods that we heard about on TPR day?

Apparently, Nessie has a control panel in the middle of the woods that because of the way the ride was designed, there can only can be 2 trains on the break run behind the station. Meaning that if the operators can't get the 3rd train out in time, one has to stop on the second lift after the helix. So there is a control panel in the middle of the woods that's located to where all 3 blocks can be visually checked if they are clear, because this ride was designed before computer checked block systems.
That is why it sometimes randomly closes for a moment sometimes.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Homeboy23 wrote:Even with three trains they stopped interlocking them years ago, I believe for maintenance reasons. And yes, they run three trains many times during the summer on Saturdays mainly.

I'm curious as to what the maintenance reasons would be for not interlocking trains? Doesn't seem like any extra stress on the trains or the ride, just some on the operators to get a consistent dispatch interval. But what do I know!
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:43 pm

*daydreams* night time Verbolten ERT... *drools*

*wakes up* Huh? Oh. I've never noticed the control panel in the woods but I will be sure to check it out this weekend and try for a pic! :b
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 am

UrbanLegend wrote:Vaguely off-topic, does anyone know how ride height requirements are actually determined? Is it up to the manufacturer's discretion or the park's, or some other governing body? And what criteria are used? So many questions!

Manufacturers make the recommendation, but it is the park's decision at which height to set the requirement.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Love Donkeys!

Postby vdejarnette » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:
Homeboy23 wrote:Even with three trains they stopped interlocking them years ago, I believe for maintenance reasons. And yes, they run three trains many times during the summer on Saturdays mainly.

I'm curious as to what the maintenance reasons would be for not interlocking trains? Doesn't seem like any extra stress on the trains or the ride, just some on the operators to get a consistent dispatch interval. But what do I know!

Two multi-ton trains = double the stress on the foundation. Due to the location/spacing of the concrete support pedestals at the water surface, it is likely that both loops are founded on a single mat footing that is now almost 40 years old.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:39 am

From that picture it looks like individual footings, not one single mat.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!