TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Disney can pretty much buy what ever they want, if they are willing to pay the price. I've heard from several places that there will soon (soon = 5-10ish years) be a big push to buy as much of that land that I outlined as possible. Its the only place for the Resort to expand.

Interesting post about the possible future expansion of the park. (Perhaps their first Disney Marvel Heros project?)

A lot of the land shown on the map has 3rd party hotels on them, would any of those hotel owners even consider selling their properties. (Or would some form of eminent domain be enforced?)

Disney has a lot of time to consider a third park, but I hope they will do it in the near future. Disneyworld is a HUGH success because of the variety of theme parks it offers. The Disneyland resort would only benefit from future expansion. (As long as its like the original IOA rather than the 'on the cheap' DCA of 2001)

The future looks bright!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/its-almost-t-time-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Beginning June 15, Disney California Adventure park guests will be invited to step through the Rabbit Hole and into an all-new fantastical world filled with music, games, dancing and fun for whole family!

mtp118932SMALL.jpg.3bc5eb97858ad7c909a6c2da0987b71d.jpg

At the Mad T Party, you’ll be able to party the night away with a wild and wonderful cast of characters. Would you like to meet them? I thought you might!

First of all, there’s our very own Mad T Party Band …

ban228942SMALL.jpg.dba8dff49dc5029f3b2e48f487a70973.jpg

… which provides the most awesome array of party tune favorites. Each member of the band, inspired by a character from the film, has his or her own superlative sense of style!

Here’s our lineup:

• Mad Hatter – the host with a hat … and a voice to “TOP” it all off!
  • March Hare – pumpin’ up the bass!
  • Dormouse – rockin’ out on lead guitar!
  • Caterpillar – jammin’ on the keys!
  • Cheshire Cat – smiling and keepin’ a beat on the drums!
  • And, what would a Mad T Party be without Alice herself? Lucky for us, she “drops in” for her own special moment in the spotlight!

You’re going to love this band – they absolutely know how to get down, get “MAD” and rock the park! But there are more to meet … and more who want to meet you!

rab338194SMALL.jpg.9879da9332d708680f1521b47a760bad.jpg

This one knows how to keep you hoppin’ with rockin’ remixes … and all the latest party hits! Get ready to meet … the White Rabbit DJ!

twe448922SMALL.jpg.055042132d10504fc5b706aff20901b6.jpg

Prior to entering the Rabbit Hole, this party-loving pair will help get you ready for a night of frabjous fun! I’m talking about … Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum!

dec558922SMALL.jpg.bc07b2f207a0b6c3488c664342443be8.jpg

And no matter how you deal ‘em, these dancers make for a full house of shufflin’ dance floor fun at the Mad T Party! It’s the Hottest Deck in Town!

hat668932SMALL.jpg.c412e5e4fa0afa947357243bb245f23f.jpg

During the day, as you make your way through the park, you might come across these helpful hosts, who will give you the latest scoop and share some secrets about the Mad T Party … the Hatters!

Believe me, there are plenty of sensational surprises in store when the Mad T Party begins June 15, 2012.

There’s lots to do before we’re ready for you!

But ready we’ll be, when it’s time for “T.”

So get ready … to go “MAD” at Disney California Adventure park this summer!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/looking-good-for-the-mad-t-party-in-disney-california-adventure-park/

First things first… there’s a party getting ready to happen at Disney California Adventure park. Not just any party – a Mad T Party! So of course, I want to make sure you are ready to rock the moment you hit the street.

While I can’t show you everything, I can definitely tell you about it, as well as give you a quick look at some of the art that you will see on select tees and fleece for men, women and kids.

mtp779032LARGE.thumb.jpg.2a8aa4428f96751df6259a0a76f34cc9.jpg

Now as some of you know, accessories are the key to any good look, and our product developers have been hard at work making sure that you’ll be styling. From sheer scarves inspired by the art and graphics of Mad T Party, to novelty headwear including Mad Hatter and Cheshire Cat fascinators, glow-hawks and light up rabbit ears.

Other tricks up our sleeves are fedoras, gloves, drink ware and other fun glow merchandise. I certainly won’t be lying to you when I say… it will light up your night. I know that some of you are asking yourselves, “Are there pins?” Keep an eye out for the logo pin which will debut in early summer, and something else to keep in mind – a ‘wonderland’ of pin offerings themed to this interactive new party will be available in September.

So don’t be late – find the time to swing by or it will be off with your heads!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/merida-from-brave-is-coming-to-disney-parks/

mcg398452.jpg.d5bf49a3c592ae7ef2e08de7d109f2a2.jpg

In the upcoming Disney•Pixar movie “Brave,” Merida is a headstrong teenager with a vibrant spirit and a softness of heart, struggling to take control of her own destiny. You’ll be able to discover Merida’s story when “Brave” opens in theaters June 22 and, beginning in mid-May, Merida will be coming to Disney Parks in an all-new character greeting experience.

At Magic Kingdom Park, Merida will appear in Fairytale Garden in a setting inspired by her Scottish Highlands home, where young guests will be invited to engage in archery lessons and other activities until it’s their turn to meet her. Joining Merida will be the three bear cubs from the film, who will no doubt be up to plenty of mischief.

To prepare for Merida’s arrival, Rapunzel will be moving from Fairytale Garden April 15, to a new spot at the outskirts of Adventureland where she will continue to greet her loyal fans and subjects.

When visiting Disneyland park in California this summer, Merida and the cubs will find a home away from home near “it’s a small world” in Fantasyland, where guests will also be able to participate in activities inspired by Merida’s story.

mcg389052SMALL.jpg.65249cdc07b820ab3ca93950a66ccb10.jpg

According to Creative Director Reed Jones, “These new play and greet experiences at both parks will immerse our guests in ‘Brave,’ giving them the opportunity to be a part of Merida’s Scottish clan. And we’re all excited to have the bear cubs join Merida with their silly antics, creating a whole new way to bring our beloved Disney Characters to life.”

“Regardless of where they find Merida,” said Reed, “Guests are really going to fall in love with her and the bears.”

Interesting post about the possible future expansion of the park. (Perhaps their first Disney Marvel Heros project?)

A lot of the land shown on the map has 3rd party hotels on them, would any of those hotel owners even consider selling their properties. (Or would some form of eminent domain be enforced?)

Disney has a lot of time to consider a third park, but I hope they will do it in the near future. Disneyworld is a HUGH success because of the variety of theme parks it offers. The Disneyland resort would only benefit from future expansion. (As long as its like the original IOA rather than the 'on the cheap' DCA of 2001)

The future looks bright!

In regards to the hotels, its just a matter of money, everyone has a price. I don't know the legalities of eminent domain; however, I wouldn't be surprised if its used. That's why its there right? Haha.

As for the third park, its on its way. And depending on how this summer goes, it may just come sooner then they originality intended. There are a lot of factors going into the decision, some of which are the success of the DCA re-launch. Also another contributing factor is Harry Potter at Universal studios Hollywood. Unlike Florida, Harry Potter will effect the Disneyland Resort a lot more because this resort is more of a locals resort and doesn't have the luxury of space to trap guests on property. So something will be done in response to HP, and an option is a third park, which is seeming more likely to be the option they are leaning towards now but there are other options they can choose, so we'll see.

And lastly, about Marvel, the third park will not be a Marvel park. However, I wouldn't rule out a land or an attraction possibly there. The theme of the park as it stands now is rather interesting, and marvel would fit nicely within that theme. It will be a new theme in general, but could (probably will) pull specific things from other resorts as well as new concepts. It would be amazing, kind of like a "best of" park. And if Shanghai is any indication of how the current management will build the third park here, I am very very excited!

I am interested to see the direction the resort will take.

To quote Jim Hill "Disneyland is the worlds most famous regional theme park". I really hope that DLR can become more of a resort like WDW.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to redo the Paradise Pier Hotel. You'd think Disney would want to make it a more premium experience so that they could raise prices. There seem to be a good number of "value" hotels located around the Disneyland resort. It seems odd that Disney would aim at this market, if there was a possibility to make more money. Is the demand not there? I'm not aware of the occupancy rates that DLR has.

^ Disney markets PP as "Value" but room rates tend to be pretty close to the Disneyland Hotel, especially during peak seasons. It's not a "value" resort like an All-Star is to a Yacht Club, let's say. Since Disney only owns three hotels and there's usually very good demand for them, it doesn't make sense to level PP. The rooms just got a decor makeover within the last few years too.

I don't know of any current plans to redo the hotel, but Disney needs a Disney Branded "Value" hotel. If all they offered was Luxury it would be harder to fill and all the "Value" business would go elsewhere. And to be honest, price wise, Paradise Pier is more on the level of a "Moderate" hotel. If Disney gets all the land, and eliminates its direct competition across the street, you'll see a wider variety of Disney branded hotel offerings.

Here's and article about the new entertainment offerings for DCA starting this summer.

Disney Parks Blog

An Entertaining Cast of Characters for Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on April 2nd, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

When you enter Disney California Adventure park this summer, you’ll step back in time to Los Angeles of the 1920s and ‘30s on Buena Vista Street. One of the keys to creating a truly immersive environment like this is populating it with interesting and believable characters, so Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment has been hard at work developing the unique personalities and show experiences that will bring the new entrance avenue to life.

cit118932SMALL.jpg.67ad53021f1b7cfe93ba9bd9cc9d7f3d.jpg

Buena Vista Street is alive with optimism and opportunity. It’s a boulevard of dreams and dreamers… like the Citizens of Buena Vista Street. This cast of characters will interact with guests in this area of the park, creating impromptu laughs, smiles and memories wherever they go.

new228914SMALL.jpg.d415286faa11e5cf3c0d22829ed63889.jpg

The Red Car News Boys roll into town on one of the shiny Red Car Trolleys, belting out “California, Here I Come!” Inspired by the spirit and style of Disney’s “Newsies,” the Red Car News Boys bring the latest headlines and engage their audience with fun songs of the ‘20s and ‘30s.

fiv338912SMALL.jpg.926b2475bfedcf72ff5e182f1b9258c0.jpg

Over “On the Sunny Side of the Street,” the musical group Five & Dime arrives in Carthay Circle to jazz things up. This ensemble of friends and relations, headed up by a vivacious singer named Dime, has travelled down Route 66 all the way from Chicago in the hopes of making it big. Like everyone who comes to Buena Vista Street, great things await them just around the corner!

Stay tuned. We’ll have more to share about these entertaining new offerings coming to Disney California Adventure park as we get closer to the opening of Buena Vista Street on June 15.

Will Disneylands third park be a thrill park sorta like California Adventure or will it be more of a family park such as Disneyland itself?

Will Disneylands third park be a thrill park sorta like California Adventure or will it be more of a family park such as Disneyland itself?

From what I'm hearing, it's still in Blue Sky right now. Nothing solid at this point.

It is still in the BlueSky stage, yes, but the theme has pretty much been nailed down. And it will be like every other Disney park and have attractions for the whole family. DCA does now have attractions for everyone, so that idea is gone. It was the only Disney park to really attempt that and it failed. This new park should rival the 'new' DCA though in terms of theme.

I don't know of any current plans to redo the hotel, but Disney needs a Disney Branded "Value" hotel. If all they offered was Luxury it would be harder to fill and all the "Value" business would go elsewhere. And to be honest, price wise, Paradise Pier is more on the level of a "Moderate" hotel. If Disney gets all the land, and eliminates its direct competition across the street, you'll see a wider variety of Disney branded hotel offerings.

I just don't see this being something that is going to happen. All those hotels across the street know the intrinsic value of their land, and more importantly, they know their location is fantastic. Better, actually, than Paradise Pier Hotel. For Disney to do a value from scratch, they'd probably have to build up given the lack of space they'd be working with, and that's a mighty expensive proposition to try and fill with cheap hotel rooms to compete with the likes of the HoJo. If it was gonna happen, Walt probably would have done it decades ago. I definitely don't see it or the "need" to do it now.

The reason 'Walt' or the company didn't do it years ago was because the company didn't always have billions of dollars to buy the land. Walt said he wish he'd bought it, but he didn't have the funds at the time.

The company is now in a amazing financial position to have enough available funds to buy the land. Be it one by one, or trying to grab it all at once. Also, the City would back any large land buy that Disney wants to make, so in the end it will happen if Disney wants it to happen.

Lastly, this is a multi-year strategy, not something you will see happen in one day. Negations could take years because there are so many parties involved.

Certainly by the 1970s Disney was in a better financial position than the 1950s and was dealing with property values significantly lower than what they are today in Southern California. There's a number of things that, to me, make it counter-intuitive for Disney to spend the kind of money necessary to acquire that land, much less develop it into a park/value resort/etc. I'm not going to argue about something theoretical like this because no one can ever really be wrong, but I just don't think its going to happen for a great many years (if ever).

Also keep in mind they weren't against building a park outside of the current resort area (Port Disney in Long Beach) in the past. I don't think buying up all of the property surrounding was as high of a priority for them, not that it necessarily is now but it's currently their better option for (further) expansion.

A lot of this also has to do with the current management as well. The people in charge at other times had different visions with this resort. In the past, most recently, Eisner wanted to buy Knott's and turn it into a version of Disney's America, and he wanted to do Port Disney both of which were not within the resort boundaries. The current management does not want to break up the resort, so the areas I outlined are the only places to expand. Its down to being not a matter of if, its only a matter of when.

Also, the third park will be built on the large lot, and the resort capacity will grow. They will need to build more hotels to fill that need.