TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Something I was reading on Screamscape:

2013 - New Coaster(s) - Rumor - (3/30/12) Rumors for Cedar Point often have to be taken with the proverbial “grain of salt”, and this one would fall into that category, so don’t hold me to it. According to message I received today, there is also talk around The Point about adding a second project for 2013. If the rumor has any truth to it, we could see Cedar Point adding a small kiddie coaster in the same season as their next big coaster in order to jump up to the all time high of 19 coasters at once in the park. Another side of this move is that Six Flags Magic Mountain is currently tied with CP with 17 coasters and has made it clear they will open their 18th coaster in 2013 as well, so adding two in the same year to The Point would be the sure way to 1UP The Mountain.

As for the location… our source has heard some rumbling about adding to the Frontier section of the park, but with two possible coasters in the works, it’s hard to say which project is intended for exactly which location just yet.

If this is true I will be so sad since I really wanted SFMM to win The Coaster Crown But again, I'm not a hater, and it will definitively be something I will look forward to in 2013. Your thoughts?

[P.S: You can read about it here]

If this is true I will be so sad since I really wanted SFMM to win The Coaster Crown

What's does this Coaster Crown look like? Do you have a picture?

I've seen it once, it's made of cardboard that was soaked in urine and allowed to dry. Then a toilet-paper mache was added to cover it completely with it also being decorated with crayon. Finally, some cheap plastic 'jewels' were added for a final touch.... really nothing special to look at.

The so-called coaster wars between CP and SFMM are soooo 1990's/early 2000's that right now who cares which park has more coasters. It's all about the quality of the ride, not the quantity. Whatever 2013 may bring I'm sure it will be a noteworthy addition to their lineup.

I actually think the coaster crown does still matter to the GP... People actually do know that CP and SFMM do have the most coasters in the world, even people who have neither been to either of these parks.

You hear people talking about it and it is on Facebook quite a bit. You see on both CP and SFMM's Facebook pages the GP talking about it and even on other park's Facebook pages. Such as on KD's Facebook page you see people saying things like "you all need to build 4 more coasters to have the most coasters". You always see tons of complaints about parks adding anything but a coaster when they announce their rides, as some people want a coaster every single year.

With this said, I could care less about the coaster crown and much rather have a good collection of quality rides over quantity.

^^Yeah, I'd imagine the "crown" still has some relevance and marketability, even if it's far from the main factor in driving visits or maximizing the quality of the guest experience. On the other hand, I've heard people say there will never again be a "true" coaster war as we knew the previous one(s), with parks constantly vying for records.

Personally, I'm grateful for parks with overwhelming coaster counts, like CP and SFMM. It's not just about the credits, though I appreciate the boost to the ol' count. There's just something so satisfying about being so thoroughly surrounded by track, and being able to ride more than twice the number of coasters I'd find at most other parks.

^ Why? They can't do much better. Look at the names Cedar Fair has come up with in the past. "Drop Tower", "Boo Blasters on Boo Hill", "Backlot Stunt Coaster"... should I continue?

You forgot "Flight Deck", "Time Warp", and "WindSeeker"!

The nae windseeker ws chosen by the manufacturer,not by CF as the generic model name for the ride.

The so-called coaster wars between CP and SFMM are soooo 1990's/early 2000's that right now who cares which park has more coasters. It's all about the quality of the ride, not the quantity. Whatever 2013 may bring I'm sure it will be a noteworthy addition to their lineup.

Sorry for the double post but I had to chime in on this one.

This coaster "war" between the two parks is truely pointless & if this rumor is true(I doubt it) then it may really hurt CF because that takes more money from the cap ex budget that could be put to better use at one of their other parks,same thing goes for six flags as well.

^I have a feeling that the park could pull off 2 coasters in one season and still be fine for spending money elsewhere and getting done what needs to be done, especially with Matt heading up future expansions.

I of course do not believe this will happen though.

Considering Cedar Point hasn't gotten a new coaster since 2007, I totally believe this is possible. They are due for some major expansion next season. Since they went 6 seasons without a new coaster at the "Coaster Capital of the World!", they could easily make up for it with 2 coasters in one year. A kiddie/little family coaster doesn't cost that much anyways...

^ Why? They can't do much better. Look at the names Cedar Fair has come up with in the past. "Drop Tower", "Boo Blasters on Boo Hill", "Backlot Stunt Coaster"... should I continue?

You forgot "Flight Deck", "Time Warp", and "WindSeeker"!

The nae windseeker ws chosen by the manufacturer,not by CF as the generic model name for the ride.

So they didn't even try to come up with an original name?

Unless the park were to open an extreme coaster and a family coaster, opening two in one season just doesn't work if the park is trying to maximize the return on its investment.

That's not entirely out of the question. Great Adventure opened two family coasters and Medusa in '99. I'm sure there are more examples in other parks but that's the one that most readily comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure parks can do whatever they want. Especially since CP's probably been saving up for 6 years, I wouldn't really leave out the possibility of two coasters, or even maybe one somewhat expensive one, or even improving upon the ones they have in a major way (i.e. paint, track for MS). Cedar Point is a great park as far as keeping their current attractions appealing, especially with all the new lights this year!

p.s. Does anybody here actually know how much a park makes in profits a year?

That's a good point, and suspect if they do build two, then that will prove CP does care about their coaster count and reputation as America's Roller Coast. The did build Gemini, but understand your point of view and believe they will build 2 proving the coaster wars are alive and well.