TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Trainwreck! It doesn't matter how short the hill is relative to Magnum XL200. I don't want to hear about Magnum XL200 in the Hersheypark thread (no offense to those of you who like it)!

The hill is downright small period, and that coupled with the high heartline of the trains will probably translate to negatives over the entire crest of the hill. I'd aim for about a second or two. POSSIBLY a tiny bit more.

Trainwreck! It doesn't matter how short the hill is relative to Magnum XL200. I don't want to hear about Magnum XL200 in the Hersheypark thread (no offense to those of you who like it)!

This.

I can't wait to see testing videos of this thing. Considering the speed at which I305 tears through its first airtime hill, and with this being smaller (relative to the first hill) than I305's, this has the potential for rediculous airtime. But, as others have said, there's no way to tell for sure until it opens.

Oryp

Nice to see the completed track work on this gorgeous coaster! Those airtime hills definitely look like they're ripe with potential airtime!

I'm digging those turns on the far end of the course too, as the one looks banked pretty close to 90 degrees. The station is looking very elegant as well. Can't wait to see some testing!

HOLY CRAP this ride is photogenic! I can't wait to see it in person in two months! Also, the station entrances/exit completely make sense now that all the railings are mostly all in. For some reason I was partly convinced that the station would end up being a confusing mess.

HOLY CRAP this ride is photogenic! I can't wait to see it in person in two months! Also, the station entrances/exit completely make sense now that all the railings are mostly all in. For some reason I was partly convinced that the station would end up being a confusing mess.

I think the whole park is photogenic. I love the way HP lays out their rides, especially in Comet Hollow.

^I'm really amazed at how Hersheypark is able to fit twelve (technically thirteen, Lightning Racer is not a mobius coaster) a full sized water park, dozens of flat rides all in about seventy acres and still manages to make the vast majority of the park gorgeous.

^agreed, I wonder what will happen first, another new coaster is built or something outta taken down... There really isn't that much room left

I'd say new coaster, considering Hershey Park closed down the old golf course and that Park Blvd could be rerouted. I think HP's next big thing could be an expansion. This was shown earlier in this very own thread.

http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/hersheypark-over-the-next-decade-2/

^Basically, with almost every major park I can think of (with the exception of maybe Cedar Point ), take the amount of land the park currently occupies, double or even triple it, and you have the amount of land the park can potentially work with.

I'd be really interested to see if this would actually happen. Everybody buy more Hershey bars so we can get more Hersheypark!

^Do you know how much stuff is actually squeezed into CP?

I know that there's a massive amount of stuff crammed into CP; I was just saying that if, for whatever reason, they were to actually run out of room at some time in the future, there isn't exactly a parcel of land next to the park that CF can begin to develop. Of course, me being stupid and wrong and stupid is still a possibility.

^I think I emailed the park, wondering if they were considering to add large piers and IIRC they said that though they still have plenty of space, that wasn't off the table. If the roller coaster capital of the world wants to keep that title in the long run, that's their only choice anyway.

^^Okay, just misunderstood what you said. My apologies!

CP could in theory expand into the peninsula by removing some of the campground/cabins/resort stuff, and they could also expand into the parking lot and move parking off point. If they wanted the park to get bigger, there's room to expand, even if it doesn't seem like it.

^^Okay, just misunderstood what you said. My apologies!

CP could in theory expand into the peninsula by removing some of the campground/cabins/resort stuff, and they could also expand into the parking lot and move parking off point. If they wanted the park to get bigger, there's room to expand, even if it doesn't seem like it.

It would be expensive, but land reclamation is an option. If they did expand the island, I think it would be on the side of the island facing the main land. Back to Hersheypark, if they did expand, what type of roller coaster would you want. When I first saw the link I posted above, I thought it would mean HP would get a hyper coaster. Well, it looks like they didn't need an expansion to accomplish this. So, how does a giga or strata coaster sound? Or maybe a dive coaster.

I'm guessing that the parking would go long before the campgrounds etc. The resorts help make Cedar Point a destination park, and I were CF I wouldn't want to give that up. But for the time being, they could always just settle for ingeniously weaving coasters through existing structures and random bits of land, like what happened with...

SKYRUSH! (See what I did there? )

Anyone have an idea when the trains are going to be put on the track? What steps are left before testing can start?

HP was considering building a coaster in the kissing tower area (A mack spinning looper even, they told a PA newspaper) as well as the sunken gardens location before they decided on Skyrush, so I'd look there for future coaster expansion.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/on_thrill_rides_like_hersheypa.html

I like the part where they mention they would rather be 2nd when it comes to getting newer types of rides. In 2005, Herhseypark was going to build Turbulance, the first "Frequent Faller" roller coaster from Interactive Rides (the guys who made those crazy rides on the Las Vegas Stratosphere Tower). Things did not go well... Looks like they learned from their mistakes by passing on that bizarre sounding coaster from Mack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulence_%28Hersheypark%29

http://www.interactiverides.com/

I never really understood why Hershey had even considered the Frequent Faller model. Other than being "the one that goes sideways", I don't really see anything appealing about its layout or design; plus I'm sure it would've been a prototypical and maintenance nightmare. I think it was wise decision on HP's part to scrap it.