Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 651: 2015 Thunderbird Launched B&M Wing Rider Announced!
Users viewing this topic: EricGarbo, glouthan and 27 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
WDW Monorail Fanatic

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Has anyone from GG's or HW's staff ever been able to take a test run with the Timberliners, or did they not even progress past water dummies? Just curious, since I haven't followed it in years now.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 pm

dougstanton wrote:There is no reason that they can't have at least one of the trains in the transfer area to be tested at night. Many parks have a lot going on over night and this can't be too difficult. With them being marketed for the 2010 season, they are starting to run out of excuses.

What excuses? They don't have to put the new trains on at all.

They're choosing to spend the money on the new trains. I'd bet that the Gravity Group can have those new trains onsite in a matter of days - but doing that would probably cost Holiday World a big sum of money. If it makes better financial sense to delay the trains until next season, so be it!

Another thing, the PTCs are two-bench while the Timberliners are single-bench. They have to recalibrate a lot of sensors when they switch between them.
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Godwyn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:54 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:Has anyone from GG's or HW's staff ever been able to take a test run with the Timberliners, or did they not even progress past water dummies? Just curious, since I haven't followed it in years now.

In Nov. 2010, HW posted this video with human riders.

YouTube Videolink

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:36 pm

I remember there being cracks in the Timberliner's fiberglass outer shells? Was this the only reason that they were never used, or was there more?
Order your copy of What's in a Brain? Now!
Chris Hill says,"I do not condone smoking pot, but this DVD rocks when your stoned!"
SEXY IS BACK!

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:47 pm

^I remember Mike saying that there was too much motion going on in the seats of the trains in Robb's IAAPA 2010 interview. Timberliners have a shock absorber system built in to reduce jackhammering, and that probably contributed to the many months of testing as well. They probably had to fine-tune the heck out of it.

EDIT: Also, Holiday World said they wanted to see how the timberliners performed at Quassy and Grona Lund before they would put them on the Voyage. They could have put them on for the 2011 season if they wanted, but they decided to be safe, which in this situation was a smart idea. Now the problem is that they just won't have enough time to test the new timberliners for this year as they have not been delivered yet.
We have to keep in mind that Holiday World and The Gravity Group are both BUSY businesses with multiple projects to take care of constantly.
Never forget that this hobby is all about having fun!
Enjoy the ride for what it is. Don't bash it for what it's not.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Another thing - when Voyage was originally conceived and designed, did they design it mainly to run the Timberliners or the PTCs?

If it wasn't designed to run the Timberliners from the start, there obviously would be a delay. Twister and Wooden Warrior probably got the Timberliners right away because they were designed to run them right away.

If I were to guess, I'd say that Hades at Mt Olympus doesn't have Timberliners either for the same reason.
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby giga2kcoaster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:56 pm

chargersmichael wrote:Mammoth is pumping water...testing starts soon! Hopefully they'll have the filter working by opening :lmao:

Wondering what portion of Mammoth this is....anyone have an idea?
Giga2kCoaster

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby chargersmichael » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

^This is the end of Mammoth...it comes out of the tunnel and just follows that little path back to the station area/conveyor lift. Watch the Mammoth animation videos to see more about it... :)

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Posted on the Holiday World Facebook....pure sex

That is the new revamped exit of the long turn, which gives us more airtime and then a smoother transition into the oddly banked hill which isnt as banked but still retains that movement from left to right.

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:20 pm

That looks like it flows SO much better with the rest of the spaghetti bowl. Timberliners or not, Voyage will be great this year (and hopefully for years to come once the new trains are on, if they ever get on).
Never forget that this hobby is all about having fun!
Enjoy the ride for what it is. Don't bash it for what it's not.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!