TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I think you're half right Magnum PA. Since Hershey doesn't take possession of the ride until it passes state inspection, I suspect the full amount did go through Intamin's hands, but as you noted a significant portion of the cost goes to the subcontractors. There has to be one construction manager over seeing the entire project, and suspect that is all managed by Intamin with Hershey's engineers overseeing the process.

Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build, so I'm assuming SkyRush is costing them a lot more than that. Definitely not under 10 million, haha.

You claim Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build. He's not saying SkyRush cost 10 million to build, he saying that design and track fabrication alone was in the ballpark of 10 million, and the rest of the cost went to other things like transportation, excavation, construction, landscape and hardscape design, etc. Don't forget all the costs for mid-air excavation and plumbing! I have no knowledge of what these things actually cost, but let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples before you start "haha"ing people.

There is NO WAY Skyrush cost under 10 million...

Bet me.

I think you're half right Magnum PA. Since Hershey doesn't take possession of the ride until it passes state inspection, I suspect the full amount did go through Intamin's hands, but as you noted a significant portion of the cost goes to the subcontractors. There has to be one construction manager over seeing the entire project, and suspect that is all managed by Intamin with Hershey's engineers overseeing the process.

Correct. But I disagree that the full amount goes through Intamin's hands. "Hersheypark" is the project manager, as they have an extensive engineering and planning department. I'm sure Intamin has also had someone onsite at times throughout the process. But Intamin had little to do with the actual dredging and excavating that took up millions in this rides $25 million budget, and therefore most likely never saw all of that money at any point.

Again, if Fahrenheit cost $12 million, the ride itself probably cost between $6-$7 million. As some of you realize, there's a lot more that goes into a steel coaster that what the designer sells.

Are people really arguing about this? Unless you are the ones writing the checks for Hershey, why is it such a big deal?

Moving on... anyone know when test runs may begin now that the track circuit is complete?

I agree--this whole "what did SkyRush actually cost?" discussion is getting a bit ridiculous. Let's all move on from this, shall we?

That dirt road they built in the middle of the river for the construction vehicles: Now that they are finishing up, are they going to make it even with the original river bed or are they just going to fill it back up as is when they are done?

^Length means naught to a point. Storm Runner has a little over half the ride time, yet has been my #1 steel coaster for the eighth year running now. I wouldn't worry. And besides, it would be ridiculously hard to stuff any more track into that area anyway, let alone for a hyper with a wider reach envelope than most.

I'm rather skeptical about the length of Skyrush, I hope the intensity will make up for this but I kinda doubt this will be the case.

I'd rather it be short. That way, I won't have to wait in line as much!

That dirt road they built in the middle of the river for the construction vehicles: Now that they are finishing up, are they going to make it even with the original river bed or are they just going to fill it back up as is when they are done?

The plans submitted to the Army Corps of Engineers showed a permanent gravel maintenance road underwater in the middle of the creek.

http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Regulatory/PublicNotice/Pennsylvania/10-00631Rev.pdf

project2012mpath.png.44390d5a398fa48fc90e3bdd9da853d0.png

Edited by ahecht

There's actually one of those types of maintenance roads at my old Scout camp. Except it's permanently partially submerged and occasionally decides to wash away trucks...

I absolutely cannot wait to see this start testing.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot that TPR really doesn't like the word J-e-e-p, even if I am referring to a particular kind of car

LOL - It means that the airtime will / could be "ejector" airtime vs floater. We'll know a lot more when the ride starts testing, but Skyrush really looks to be one of the most intense coasters on the planet, not to mention 2012.

LOL - It means that the airtime will / could be "ejector" airtime vs floater. We'll know a lot more when the ride starts testing, but Skyrush really looks to be one of the most intense coasters on the planet, not to mention 2012.

I wouldn't say one of the most intense on the planet just yet. I think it will definately be most intense of 2012 though. I think it has potential to be really intense, but I want to wait until I see it test first.

I agree we need to see a test run, but the numbers really do speak for themselves. The lift is 19 MPH, with a first drop almost the same as Magnums. The second hill of Skyrush (80 feet) is HALF as tall as Magnums (157 feet) second hill. Then looking at how over-banked and beefy everything else is, only leads me to believe the ride is going to fly throughout the course in a similar fashion to I305. Like the rest of us, I can't wait to see this bad boy in action, but you can mark my words, this will be a world class ride (imho).

I agree we need to see a test run, but the numbers really do speak for themselves. The lift is 19 MPH, with a first drop almost the same as Magnums. The second hill of Skyrush (80 feet) is HALF as tall as Magnums (157 feet) second hill. Then looking at how over-banked and beefy everything else is, only leads me to believe the ride is going to fly throughout the course in a similar fashion to I305. Like the rest of us, I can't wait to see this bad boy in action, but you can mark my words, this will be a world class ride (imho).

Why are we comparing this to an Arrow Hyper? Also the lift is 18mph, 17.7272mph if we want to get specific

As TXman correctly pointed out, I was comparing Skyrush's size to Magnums' and nothing else. Magnum's second hill is half that of Skyrush, therefore the train on Skyrush will FLY over the second hill producing significant airtime. I am not comparing the two rides, that are 25 years apart in age, and light years apart in design.

As TXman correctly pointed out, I was comparing Skyrush's size to Magnums' and nothing else. Magnum's second hill is half that of Skyrush, therefore the train on Skyrush will FLY over the second hill producing significant airtime. I am not comparing the two rides, that are 25 years apart in age, and light years apart in design.

I think you meant Skyrush's second hill is half that of Magnum's.

Has there been any word on a pull through yet?