TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't think that this possibility has been mentioned, but during Roller Coaster Enthusiast Day on Saturday, I talked to a "foreman" (the ride ops with ties) that I've known for a few months now who says that from what he understands, the main reason whatever modifications were made to the Green Lantern cars (he doesn't know what modifications as he's of course not a ride mechanic) were made in most part because of how often the cars would come back "incorrectly" into the station, which would cause delays, especially with it happening so often as it was.

April 1st will be "April Stooge Day" at Magic Mountain, and the first 500 people to show up dressed as a stooge will get 1 hour of morning ERT on Colossus and Scream. The first TEN people to show up will get a front-of-the-line pass for an unnamed ride for that whole day. I'll be one of those first ten people.

Colossus and Scream? Really this isn't going to work. Here is why:

Colossus=675 per hour

Scream (with SFMM ops) 800 per hour

500 people divided by 1475 people equals about 34 minutes, or 17 minutes for each coaster.

Even on crowded days, you can still ride each of these coasters with less than a 17 minute wait.

It might be a fun event, though, to have an ERT session with everyone dressed up.

EDIT: Major (and quite obvious) math error in this post. However, I think the point still holds. Besides, it is one of those events that is more for the 'fun' than it is for getting in quick rides.

Edited by MrSum1_55

Know what I just thought would be awesome? What if they had the worlds tallest loop from Full Throttle wrap around the guest path directly above the metro tunnel? You would have the ride go through the tunnel, go up and around the loop, end the loop going back into the tunnel and on the other side of the hill. This way you could have people standing on the path watching upside down trains zoom by overhead!

Know what I just thought would be awesome? What if they had the worlds tallest loop from Full Throttle wrap around the guest path directly above the metro tunnel? You would have the ride go through the tunnel, go up and around the loop, end the loop going back into the tunnel and on the other side of the hill. This way you could have people standing on the path watching upside down trains zoom by overhead!

My post from page #2320...

Thinking it will launch through the tunnel, loop over it and the mountain, and continue on with maybe 10-12 inversions total.

Same idea except I was not expecting it to go through the tunnel twice and also now maybe not that many inversions.

^Not any worse than a summer weekday. Which means, if you get there before the 10:30 opening, you should be done with about everything by around 6 PM. I would guess for waits at WORST:

60-90 min. for X2

45-60 min. for Tatsu

45-60 min. for Green Lantern

30 min. for Goliath in the afternoon

60-90 min. for Riddlers (one train operation)

Everything else 30 min. or less..

Or if it is a rainy day (I went on a rainy Monday during Spring Break 2010):

X2: 10 min. or less

Everything else: Not much

Hope this helps!

I will be going to SFMM on Thursday the 19th of April. I'm from Australia and can't convince my wife to come with me. Will it be that unusual to see a 35 year old male standing in line waiting to ride coasters? Being from Australia, we don't really have parks like these, so I have to do it while I have the chance!

I will be going to SFMM on Thursday the 19th of April. I'm from Australia and can't convince my wife to come with me. Will it be that unusual to see a 35 year old male standing in line waiting to ride coasters? Being from Australia, we don't really have parks like these, so I have to do it while I have the chance!

Nope! It happens all the time! Don't worry!

Hey guys, I know you hate these questions, but:

What will the crowds be like on Thursday April 5, and Friday April 6? I know it will be spring break but what are the crowds usually like in terms of waits for rides, etc?

Don't worry about the crowds if you get there before opening. Take the Revolution exit shortcut to Tatsu right as you get in, then head to Apocalypse, Riddler's (single rider), Green Lantern (single rider), Batman, Scream, Colossus. As long as you don't lollygag around, you'll get these rides done really fast.

Try to put off your lunch until after you're done with Colossus, so you don't have to pause as the crowds fill in the park. Viper and Revolution will have long lines at the beginning of the day. Come back in the late afternoon/evening to ride those with short waits, and brave X2 while you're over there (which won't ever really get shorter than an hour all day). Ninja and Gold Rusher will never really generate any "long" lines, so ride those when you have spare time.

That's what I usually do, and I only end up in significant lines for Goliath and X2 when its all said and done. It's really difficult to get through 13 coasters without having to wait in something. Have fun!

^If you want to take a chance, head to the park early to be one of the first ones at the gates, and, when they open, run like a bat out of hell to X2. This descision can significantly help you get through the day, or significantly hurt you. If you can get on within the first ten minutes, you can probably get on everything else with almost no wait. However, waiting 30 minutes or more can cause a major delay that could result in long wait times on other rides.

The best way to order your day, depending on arrival time would be:

+30 minutes before opening, go clockwise beginning with X2

Within 30 minutes of opening, go clockwise beginning with Tatsu

+30 minutes after opening, go counterclockwise beginning with Goliath.

The counterclockwise strategy will send you in the opposite direction from most people, resulting in the longest waits for the rides toward the back of the park, but shorter waits for X2, Tatsu, and Goliath. Still, it is usually best to go clockwise.

^Yes! Do this! Although I recommend that you run straight to X2 in the beginning and get on that. I can usually then get to Tatsu with an in-station wait only, then down to Apocalypse, Riddlers, etc. I would say to try to hold off lunch until at least after Riddler's. Then I would go to Goliath at the very end and I usually have a 30 min. wait for that. Then I will do Viper, Revolution, and Ninja, and if I have time,, X2 again

Didn't end up going today because the weather report said it would rain today, and no one in my group wanted to go if it was going to rain. Postponing the trip for a different Sunday in a couple of weeks, after the Spring Breaks in the area are over.

Take the Revolution exit shortcut to Tatsu right as you get in

I've been hearing about this Revolution exit shortcut for years, but have never known what it is and have never bothered to ask. Can you explain to me what it is? I usually hit Goliath first, and work around to having Tatsu and X2 last. But hitting Tatsu first, then working your way around the park clockwise seems like it might be a good idea, too.

^If you go up Revolution's exit, there are stairs that will take you right to the normal path leading to Tatsu.

Also, I don't really think how early you arrive matters, as long as you're there before opening. People tend to line up like sheep at the two main gates in the middle. I've gotten up there 2 minutes before opening and been at the front at a gate on the left side, already putting me in prime position to get to X2 first.

^If you want to take a chance, head to the park early to be one of the first ones at the gates, and, when they open, run like a bat out of hell to X2. This descision can significantly help you get through the day, or significantly hurt you. If you can get on within the first ten minutes, you can probably get on everything else with almost no wait. However, waiting 30 minutes or more can cause a major delay that could result in long wait times on other rides.

That's why I head to Tatsu first, and catch the back half of the park with no waits. In my experience, running to X2 first is too inconsistent. Sometimes it opens late, sometimes there are too many people in front of you on the mad dash there, although sometimes you're just lucky.

Tatsu backs up fast as well, so if you get stuck at X2 you get hosed when it comes to getting on Tatsu. The line for Tatsu doesn't die down on spring break/summer days. X2 will go from 2 to 3 hours in the morning to about 1 hour in the late afternoon, then back to 2 hours before closing. Tatsu's full all day (full queue = ~1.5 hours). If I really want to go on X2, I suck it up and wait the hour in the late afternoon. Unfortunately, this plan also makes for 45 minutes in line for Goliath, but the queue is shaded, fast moving, and spacey. I'm usually done by 5 or 6.

Thank you everyone for the great information. The last time I have been to SFMM was 6 years ago and can't really remember much. But, I have been on Colossus, Scream, Goliath, Gold Rusher, Ninja, and Revolution so they really are not a priority. I really want to hit up the major rides (Tatsu, X2, etc). If I do end up going I will be probably take the Revolution shortcut up to Tatsu first and end up doing X2 in late afternoon. Can anyone give me more information on the exit shortcut?