TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The Nashville CBS affilate had a nice interview with a guy (I caught it late so I'm not sure who he was) talking about the new ride WHILE riding it. The ride looked great from this angle and seemed to have some nice speed. I also liked the way it interacted with the trees. Of course this was a limited POV, so who knows.

Edited to add link to video: Newschannel 5 Video

The Nashville CBS affilate had a nice interview with a guy (I caught it late so I'm not sure who he was) talking about the new ride WHILE riding it. The ride looked great from this angle and seemed to have some nice speed. I also liked the way it interacted with the trees. Of course this was a limited POV, so who knows.

Edited to add link to video: Newschannel 5 Video

"Soaring Eagle... uh, Flying Eagle... oh, Wild Eagle!" but also

^^^I think the Dollywood logo takes a little away from the imposing feel of the sculpture, at least in the picture (I doubt I'd care in person). But it might look like a bit of a Captain Obvious move to put a "Wild Eagle" sign there.

Kinda surprised to see that the Wild Eagle logo isn't in front of it though, instead of the Dollywood logo.

Free advertising for the park. Think about how many people will take a picture standing in front of that thing.

Yeah, I assumed that, and I completely understand it. I just felt like the eagle was put there as theming for Wild Eagle, and not general Dollywood theming, which is why I was suprised to see the Dollywood sign, and not a Wild Eagle sign. Either way, it's flippin' awesome! I'm not complaining at all. Just kinda surprised.

^^^I think the Dollywood logo takes a little away from the imposing feel of the sculpture, at least in the picture (I doubt I'd care in person). But it might look like a bit of a Captain Obvious move to put a "Wild Eagle" sign there.

Yes, I think the enormous eagle is a fair-enough hint that Wild Eagle is nearby.

Vote for the ride's theme song:

https://www.facebook.com/dollywood/app_105328992928476

After you have listened to the 3 versions of Dolly's song "The Sky is Not The Limit," tell us your favorite and enter below for a chance to win 2 free Dollywood admission tickets. We will be randomly selecting 10 winners beginning at 6 p.m. (EST) March 21, 2012 and ending at 5 p.m. (EST.) April 30, 2012. Good Luck!!!!

Hello Dollywood Fans

I'm an Orlando based theme park junkie and find myself scheduled for a conference in Knoxville at the begining of April ----Monday the 2nd is supposed to be "travel day" ----not sure what time I'm getting in but hoping I can journey to the Pigeon Forge area to try to take a quick run thru Dollywood and catch a couple of the mini-attraction on the Parkway. I was originally thinking cab but that looks to be too expensive. Any thoughts on how to get out and back without spending all my attraction money on transportation??

I assume you are flying into McGhee Tyson Airport?? And what time are you flying in?

The only way you are getting from the airport to the Pigeon Forge area is either through a cab or a private shuttle company. I am not really sure of what options are out there. Being a local, that is something I haven't ever had to do before. I do know it isn't going to be cheap.

It will easily take you 90 minutes to get from the airport to Dollywood. You would really be doing yourself an injustice to treat Dollywood as a credit run. But if you have to, keep in mind that a lot of your time will be spent traveling to and back from the Pigeon Forge area. If your hotel is near the downtown area, that would be another 1 hour trip to get back from the park.

Edited by ernierocker

I just took my first ride on Wild Eagle and here are a few of my thoughts. First off the station and ride plaza looks incredible and really completes that section of the park. The eagle statue I. Front is incredibly detailed and just as stu Ning I. Person as it has been in the pictures this off season.

The ride itself is fairly short, but was much more forceful than I was expecting. The setting is amazing and the views from the top of the lift were beautiful. I rode In the front right inner seat and thought the ride was "okay", it felt very similar to a B&M floorless honesty, maybe the outer seats has a different experience. Again the ride was good but not great, it was smooth and more forceful than I was expecting with a decent pop of floater. It's not in my top 10 but rating the attraction as a whole it is right up there with the best and the general public is going to live it.

A few other observations, it has a single load/unload station unlike other Wong coasters and running only 2 trains dispatch times were pretty slow (I timed one at over 4 minutes). I know it's only

day 1 and operations will improve over the season but even for a pass holder preview day the line was huge and I would expect that to be the trend all summer. I reserved a ride the second it was available on Qbot and the retune time was allready 2 hours later.

Great addition to the park, fun ride, beautiful setting, but probably not going to be in a lot of top 10's (except Amusement Today). Great job Dollywood!

Ernie

Obviously I'd love to spend 3-4 days in the area to be able to do everything including a full day for Dollywood by itself but this was trying to take advantage of what I thought was an oppurtunity. I get in around noon Monday and am staying in downtown Knoxville, unless I can talk a couple of the other attendees to share a cab it's not going to be worth it. I still ache to be able to see some of PF but now I'm hearing a rumor about a "welcome dinner" Monday night which will, unfortunately, dash my last shot of this happening--thanks for the info guys!

This is the first wing rider that actually looks thrilling and worth it to me. The others look like great GP pleasers but this one looks like it's good for everyone. I guess we really shouldn't have doubted that Dollywood would deliver anything less.