TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

This backwards train business must be a nice money-saver. Management can spend minimally and still have something to point to as a new attraction. Falls right inline with the making use of existing assets approach they seem to be taking.

I'd love to see them try this approach for the spinning mice/spinning coasters throughout the chain- just to see if they could get away with it. I bet they would.

It worked quite well for Disney when they marketed rehabs for the 50th...

At first I thought it would be stupid as it wouldn't make much difference - its a shuttle coaster after all. But a backwards launch would be interesting, and facing straight down on the spike would be awesome. So it could well be a very new, interesting experience. At least they kept the Mr Freeze name so the GP don't think its a new ride and Mr Freeze is being knocked down

During my visits to Six Flags over Texas and Six Flags St. Louis, I had the pleasure of riding Mr. Freeze, especially loving the top hat inversion. Now that the trains are going to be reversed, I feel that this will offer the riding public a new riding experience by being lauched in reverse and to facing vertical before heading back to the station.

But I have the same question that rclay asked in his most recent post

Will the new layout (going backwards) cause the parks to reevaluate the restraint systems? Is the ride still safe going into the vertical spike with only lap bars?Will the new layout (going backwards) cause the parks to reevaluate the restraint systems? Is the ride still safe going into the vertical spike with only lap bars?

While I don't have the exact answer to that question, I would like to say that perhaps the lap restaints they have would do, but I think the newfangled overhead restaints (that is used for coasters such as Carowind's Carolina Cobra, Hersheypark's Storm Runner, and Six Flags Great Adventure's Kingsta Ka) would be better to hold the riders into place when they are being launched and being held vertical before the return trip.

I guess we will know in time.

"Speaking about restraints, I wish there was a restraint to keep a certain someone I know to stay in bed!"

I'm slightly surprised Six Flags actually decided to do this, but I'm sure it will be popular. Other than the endpoints, I doubt the ride experience will change much, but a backwards launch and looking down on the spike will be quite interesting with only lapbars. I guess Premier's lapbars are large enough that they don't need shoulder harnesses for this one. I thought Mr. Freeze was pretty good when I rode it last summer, so I wonder how my opinion will change (if at all) after experiencing the Reverse Blast version (at some unspecified date in the future).

what is everyone's opinion about the lap bar only restraints, do you think folks will get thrown forward on launch, enough to cause neck and back problems (whiplash) some people are debating it, I don't see it happening, but was just curious what some other views are on the situation.

That ride looks really nice. Im a bit mixed about SFStL continuing to upgrade its water park. I would love to see something newer done in the dry side of the park, but considering it makes sense. I think this is a really nice upgrade even though im not a super huge fan of waterparks.

Im most curious about Mr. Freeze running backwards. I wonder if they are gonna run one side forwards and the other backwards or both sides backwards. Probably the latter considering the boon to popularity this is going to give the ride.

Although I would love to see a forwards train and a backwards train, I'm guessing they'll run both backwards. The former option would probably lead to empty forwards trains being run because the GP want a backwards train like they saw in the commercials.

Although I suppose that could be solved with a Forward Line and a Backward Line...

what is everyone's opinion about the lap bar only restraints, do you think folks will get thrown forward on launch, enough to cause neck and back problems (whiplash) some people are debating it, I don't see it happening, but was just curious what some other views are on the situation.

The way the LIMs are set up only the first two cars are in contact with the LIMs at the beginning of the launch sequence, the train doesn't reach full acceleration until a second or two after it has started launching. At full acceleration you can definitely feel how strong the launch is, but Mr. Freeze has never had that "pop" like many other launched rides have (especially the Intamin rockets or the S&S launched coasters). So I'd have to say whiplash shouldn't be an issue, but I'm sure it will still get a few people to complain.

The same slide complex went to SFGAm last year... But does anyone know if they are getting the mini-funnel slide as well? It's on the right hand side.

They are just getting the two loop slides. Not the funnel slide or the drop slides!

Whiplash?? You encounter far more negative linear force on the brake run of your average Wild Mouse than you would on this! As for the vertical spike, you're constantly moving at the same rate as the train, so there is no chance of you dangling towards the floor.

I cant imagine there being any problems with the reverse launch. I mean Superman does the same thing except much faster. I dont think the spike will be an issue simply because the restraints still do a good job restraining the individual and there really shouldnt be a chance to fall out.

Ill be going on opening day, I assume that the lines will be long for Mr. Freeze, but I will try and get a ride it. Ill come back with some thoughts on it after riding it.

Ill be going on opening day, I assume that the lines will be long for Mr. Freeze, but I will try and get a ride it. Ill come back with some thoughts on it after riding it.

Good luck with that because Mr. Freeze doesn't plan on opening until May. If you don't mind missing it, then I would still go opening day. But if you never been to the park and want to ride it, I'd save your SFSTL trip for another weekend, later in the year.