TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Wow! This ride is going to blow Test Track away.

From what I've seen I'm not sure it will quite 'blow Test Track away'...it looks like a slightly bigger racing Test Track. Sure it's cool and all, but it's no Journey!!!!

Wow! This ride is going to blow Test Track away.

Why does it have to "blow test track away?"

Why can't it just be a really good, solid E-Ticket ride, something that California Adventure DESPERATELY needs?

Really, it could "just be a clone of Test Track" and that would already be a HUGE HUGE win for DCA.

--Robb

It doesn't have to blow test track away. My comment was based solely on my personal preference for airtime and tunnels, and my person dislike of industrial theming (I probably should've added "for me" to my comment). Test Track is still one of my favorite Disney attractions, and I agree that any ride on that scale is a huge win for DCA. I think most Americans who visit Disney parks are going to make a mental connection between the two rides since the cars look so similar (and since few will have even heard of JttCotE at TDS), and I'm sure that some will prefer Test Track based on its theme, it being 25mph faster, and it being more aimed towards thrillseekers.

Looks great! Also looking forward to seeing how the tire flat ride turns out. Now it's just trying to figure out which day to go where the park will not be overwhelmed by crowds. Have to look at that AP blackout calendar really closely!

I'm really looking forward to this with GREAT anticipation!!

It may not have the sights/sounds/theming/airtime of Journey...

It may not have the slalom braking or speed/banking (or breaking down directly UNDER the a/c) of Test Track...

But I think it will be a happy medium of the two, if not more. And I do hope so, as JTTCOTE and TT are two of my favorite Disney rides anywhere!!

the attraction looks like a win to me. Yes, the story isn't as "mature" as JTCOTE, but who's to say it won't be as good? I guess we won't know for sure till opening day, but me thinks it will just come down to a matter of preference.

I think most Americans who visit Disney parks are going to make a mental connection between the two rides

Most Americans are lucky to visit one or the other in their lifetimes. I highly doubt "most Americans" will even notice or care, as they will just be happy enough to be on vacation. The only people making a mental connection are Disney enthusiasts who will nit pick apart two great rides out of lack of anything better to do.

Here's a post from the bolg about the music of Cars Land

Disney Parks Blog

Behind the Music of Cars Land at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on March 21st, 2012 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

The music you hear as you stroll around the Disneyland Resort or ride your favorite attraction is such an integral part of the Disney magic. Today we take you “behind the music” in North Hollywood with song writer and composer Bruno Coon and the band, “Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.” (Billy Hill and the Hillbillies have been entertaining at Disneyland park since the early 1990s.) In this recording session they performed the instrumental tracks for the songs heard on Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree. We have previously shown you a sneak peak of Larry the Cable Guy recording the vocals for these songs. In this video, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies are recording a variation of one of these songs – one that will be heard as background music throughout the town of Radiator Springs. Guests will be able to enjoy this in person as they explore the exciting new Cars Land when it opens June 15.

Its really interesting that they are using the musicians that they already use in Disneyland for performances at the Golden Horseshoe to record some music. I really like that they did this, Bill Hill and the Hillbillies is a great show.

I'm really looking forward to this with GREAT anticipation!!

It may not have the sights/sounds/theming/airtime of Journey...

It may not have the slalom braking or speed/banking (or breaking down directly UNDER the a/c) of Test Track...

But I think it will be a happy medium of the two, if not more. And I do hope so, as JTTCOTE and TT are two of my favorite Disney rides anywhere!!

I agree with this completely. I'm looking forward to checking out Cars Land myself (but probably not until next year).

Anyone else going to disregard all logic and go opening day?

For a while I was worried that Carsland wouldn't fit into DCA but after seeing all the transformations the park has gone through over the past five years I'm very happy with how everything has turned out.

Radiator Springs Racers looks like an extremely cool ride and looks to be the "Indy" of DCA. The overall immersive theming and attention to detail are really blowing me away. It's nice to finally see DLR get another large E-Ticket expansion that will entertain guests for many years to come.

And since they spent an estimated (I believe?) $1 Billion Dollars on the overall project, I won't be complaining. While Universal beat Disney in terms of a large expansion in FL, I think Disney definitely has the upper hand in terms of project quality this time around.

EDIT:

I was watching Who Framed Rodger Rabbit the other day and noticed that the Trolleys from the movie look almost identical to the one they showed off in that video a few pages back... So are those trolleys actually new? Or did they grab them from an old prop barn?

Joking aside it was still an interesting find.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing out of RSR's and the rest of CarsLand. I agree that it doesn't even matter what FL or Tokyo have done, this is such a HUGE step in the right direction for DCA, it could be worse than TT and it won't matter. Most people who go to DL don't even know that a similar ride even exists, and certainly don't know about "Journey".

Look at how popular Tower is at DCA. Most people don't even know or care that there is a better one in FL and Tokyo.

I'm still kind of "iffy" on the Tires ride and especially the Mater ride. Hearing that they paid $100+ million for what is essentially an updated "whip" has me kind of shaking my head. That amount of $$ sure doesn't go as far as it used to.

The rest of the land looks really cool though.

I'm planning a mini-trip to California in late November, prompted in large part by the completion of Carsland. Before I joined TPR, I took a cross-country trip to Disneyland each winter and a trip south to Disney World every 2-3 years. Then I started doing a TPR trip each summer instead. Then life happened and... well, I still enjoy traveling, but I don't get to do as many long-distance trips as I would like.

Cars is my favorite of all the Pixar films, and I am very much looking forward to visiting Radiator Springs in "real life." All the other DLR improvements that have taken place since my last visit in 2009 (new DCA entryway, trolleys, Little Mermaid, World of Color, Star Tours II, etc.) will be just icing on the cake. Plus I can't wait to take my wife and stepdaughter on Indiana Jones Adventure, "good" Pirates, It's a Small World Holiday, Haunted Mansion Holiday and other Disney rides they have yet to experience.

And the fact that the Flying Tires are an update of one of my all-time favorite "before my lifetime" Disney attractions, the Flying Saucers, has me just as pumped about riding them as checking out Radiator Spring Racers. (Junkyard Jamoboree I can take or leave--probably the latter if there's any line at all.)

I'm really liking what I'm seeing out of RSR's and the rest of CarsLand. I agree that it doesn't even matter what FL or Tokyo have done, this is such a HUGE step in the right direction for DCA, it could be worse than TT and it won't matter. Most people who go to DL don't even know that a similar ride even exists, and certainly don't know about "Journey".

Look at how popular Tower is at DCA. Most people don't even know or care that there is a better one in FL and Tokyo.

I'm still kind of "iffy" on the Tires ride and especially the Mater ride. Hearing that they paid $100+ million for what is essentially an updated "whip" has me kind of shaking my head. That amount of $$ sure doesn't go as far as it used to.

The rest of the land looks really cool though.

The Little Mermaid was $100 million, there is no way they paid that much for a whip.

RSR looks like it will have airtime, so its already better than Test Track in my book. June 15th can't come soon enough!

RSR looks like it will have airtime, so its already better than Test Track in my book. June 15th can't come soon enough!

We can't really judge that for sure until we actually ride the thing. It could be just another case of "California airtime" for all we know. Would be nice if there actually was some descent airtime.

*California airtime = little airtime.