Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Dobba » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 pm

With the planning committee's meeting being scheduled for next Thursday, a new document has been posted to the Staffordshire Moorlands website detailing the SW7 project as part of the meeting's agenda. Within that document is the following:

The Environmental Health Officer has considered the NIA and raises no objection subject to conditions. He confirms that the proposed ride is of a similar type to ‘Saw’ at Thorpe Park and is made by the same manufacturer and as such the predictions as set out in the NIA are accepted

The case for a Gerstlauer grows ever stronger, though the wording in terms of SW7's relationship with Saw has changed from "same type" to "similar type" which would clear up the issues with the lack of a beyond vertical drop in the plans we've seen.

Roll on next Thursday.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby australianalex » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:27 am

Could it be one of those Gerstlauer launch coasters then?

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby AstroDan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Alton to close theme park at 4:00pm on 65 dates in 2012

You may not have seen, but Alton Towers have altered their 2012 opening times, and will now be closing at 4:00pm on 65 days in 2012 including some Sundays.

This is the earliest closing time for any theme park the United Kingdom and cuts a full hour from what has been the 5:00pm earliest closing time standard for many, many years (with exception to limited openings).

Anyone got any thoughts about this? Apparently it's Merlin cutting budgets left, right and centre.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby StealthFan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 pm

AstroDan wrote:
Anyone got any thoughts about this? Apparently it's Merlin cutting budgets left, right and centre.

I don't think its Merlin cutting budgets, frankly they don't need to do that. Each park had an increased attendance last year. I think this is only happening to Alton Towers because of its location. Places such at Thorpe Park, Chessington WoA and Legoland all have easy rail and motorway connections, however Alton Towers is sort of in a pain in the arse location. On quieter days i've notice a lot of people leave Alton fairly early as they usually have a long journey home. The other parks I mentioned always seem to have everyone exit in one huge surge at the end of the day which causes a huge pain in the arse getting out the car parks. Thats my thought anyway.

I will say one thing I cant see this being a trend that will be rolled out Merlin wide.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby AstroDan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:07 pm

StealthFan wrote:
AstroDan wrote:

I don't think its Merlin cutting budgets, frankly they don't need to do that. Each park had an increased attendance last year. I think this is only happening to Alton Towers because of its location. Places such at Thorpe Park, Chessington WoA and Legoland all have easy rail and motorway connections, however Alton Towers is sort of in a pain in the arse location. On quieter days i've notice a lot of people leave Alton fairly early as they usually have a long journey home. The other parks I mentioned always seem to have everyone exit in one huge surge at the end of the day which causes a huge pain in the arse getting out the car parks. Thats my thought anyway.

I will say one thing I cant see this being a trend that will be rolled out Merlin wide.

It is Merlin cutting budgets. I know I said it's "apparent" - but it's definitely the case.

Thorpe (i.e. summer now 7pm not 8pm, Fright Nights now 9pm not 10pm) and Legoland have also made cuts, as have Alton Towers.

The Merlin Resort Theme Parks Division in the UK had a very poor first few months of 2011.

Postby Dobba » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 am

Phalanx Control today tweeted the themed uniform for Sub-Terra's ride hosts.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Randomman295 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Dobba wrote:Phalanx Control today tweeted the themed uniform for Sub-Terra's ride hosts.

Friggin' amazing! Reminds me of Resident Evil. :lmao:
You would be genuinely shocked to find out how comforting it is to be functionally insane.

My Photography Crap

Postby Dobba » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 am

Following a planning meeting by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, SW7 planning permission has been granted.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Dobba wrote:Following a planning meeting by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, SW7 planning permission has been granted.

Good news but not surprising.
My fundraising page: http://www.tntbob.com

Postby Dobba » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:33 am

The Ice Age 4D advert has been put online today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmhbRRNtQdE

It is expected that the Sub Terra advert will feature during Skins tonight (E4 - 10pm)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!