TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

^ They are obviously doing some work on Enterprise then, because when I went on Friday it was dissasembled, I should have taken a picture. I also think it is a wise move because when I went on Friday Forbidden Valley and the Spinball area were fairly busy, but X Sector was deserted. Oblivion was a walk on (they were having trouble filling trains).

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the new map for 2012 in the Sun Newspaper today, and it said about Construction of a new ride for 2013 where the Black Hole was, so looks like Alton are very confident that the ride is going to get approved even though I thought an official review date was due at the end of March???

Just seen the new map for 2012 in the Sun Newspaper today, and it said about Construction of a new ride for 2013 where the Black Hole was, so looks like Alton are very confident that the ride is going to get approved even though I thought an official review date was due at the end of March???

The ride itself doesn't have to be built with permission as X-Sector is under a GDO (general development order). The thing they are trying to get planning consent for is the station building and I think the theming

The ride itself doesn't have to be built with permission as X-Sector is under a GDO (general development order). The thing they are trying to get planning consent for is the station building and I think the theming

Correct - The Station & The Spiderlike Themeing Element are the only pieces that require Planning Permission.

A GDO basically means that as long as the attraction is built within certain parameters (ie. Height, Noise) They do not require planning permission to build it.

With the planning committee's meeting being scheduled for next Thursday, a new document has been posted to the Staffordshire Moorlands website detailing the SW7 project as part of the meeting's agenda. Within that document is the following:

The Environmental Health Officer has considered the NIA and raises no objection subject to conditions. He confirms that the proposed ride is of a similar type to ‘Saw’ at Thorpe Park and is made by the same manufacturer and as such the predictions as set out in the NIA are accepted

The case for a Gerstlauer grows ever stronger, though the wording in terms of SW7's relationship with Saw has changed from "same type" to "similar type" which would clear up the issues with the lack of a beyond vertical drop in the plans we've seen.

Roll on next Thursday.

Alton to close theme park at 4:00pm on 65 dates in 2012

You may not have seen, but Alton Towers have altered their 2012 opening times, and will now be closing at 4:00pm on 65 days in 2012 including some Sundays.

This is the earliest closing time for any theme park the United Kingdom and cuts a full hour from what has been the 5:00pm earliest closing time standard for many, many years (with exception to limited openings).

Anyone got any thoughts about this? Apparently it's Merlin cutting budgets left, right and centre.

Anyone got any thoughts about this? Apparently it's Merlin cutting budgets left, right and centre.

I don't think its Merlin cutting budgets, frankly they don't need to do that. Each park had an increased attendance last year. I think this is only happening to Alton Towers because of its location. Places such at Thorpe Park, Chessington WoA and Legoland all have easy rail and motorway connections, however Alton Towers is sort of in a pain in the arse location. On quieter days i've notice a lot of people leave Alton fairly early as they usually have a long journey home. The other parks I mentioned always seem to have everyone exit in one huge surge at the end of the day which causes a huge pain in the arse getting out the car parks. Thats my thought anyway.

I will say one thing I cant see this being a trend that will be rolled out Merlin wide.

I don't think its Merlin cutting budgets, frankly they don't need to do that. Each park had an increased attendance last year. I think this is only happening to Alton Towers because of its location. Places such at Thorpe Park, Chessington WoA and Legoland all have easy rail and motorway connections, however Alton Towers is sort of in a pain in the arse location. On quieter days i've notice a lot of people leave Alton fairly early as they usually have a long journey home. The other parks I mentioned always seem to have everyone exit in one huge surge at the end of the day which causes a huge pain in the arse getting out the car parks. Thats my thought anyway.

I will say one thing I cant see this being a trend that will be rolled out Merlin wide.

It is Merlin cutting budgets. I know I said it's "apparent" - but it's definitely the case.

Thorpe (i.e. summer now 7pm not 8pm, Fright Nights now 9pm not 10pm) and Legoland have also made cuts, as have Alton Towers.

The Merlin Resort Theme Parks Division in the UK had a very poor first few months of 2011.

Flippin eck, 18 years!

I'm gonna say it again, why can't B&M make coasters like Nemmy anymore?

Mousch's link gives us a look at the first couple artist impressions of the ride "chamber", can't believe this thing opens in 5 days. Just to back the Sun up, the story is also featured on the official BBFC website:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/newsreleases/2012/03/alton-towers-resort-calls-in-the-british-board-of-film-classification-to-help-classify-new-terrifying-attraction-with-an-age-rating/

Does anyone know if Sir John of Wardleyshire was involved in the creation of Sub Terra?

Happy Birthday Nemesis! It is still fast, smooth and intense after all these years. Every time I ride I just come off laughing in joy.

I know what Sub Terra is, but I'm just wondering what it will actually be like inside. It could be anywhere on the scale from simple decoration to amazing animatronics...