Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 655: Festa Italia work and HOS prep!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What is this, Joisey?

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Swimace » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 am

swiver wrote:It was fitted with the zero car because it has more forces acting on it than any other B&M invert.

Umm... are you sure about that? Could you maybe cite a source on this?

I don't believe for a second that Alpengeist is the most forceful B&M invert ever created.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby swiver » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:10 am

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^^I was under the impression that Alpengeist has a zero car because it wasn't completing the course in early test runs. The zero car added 1,000 pounds to the train to prevent that from happening anymore. I'm fairly certain they told us that during the TPR day at BGW last year.

Hmm, that makes sense. I don't really feel that it goes slow during many parts of the ride other than the end, but it does make more sense than what I said I guess.

And no, I don't have a source for that information I posted, haha. I was just told that the zero car helped to control the train more when it is traveling at high speeds, which is why they are also on the B&M hypers.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 am

^The hypers are a completely different design, every hyper has a zero car because the axle for each individual car is in the rear so it has to have a zero car.

I read an article somewhere that had an interview with a B&M Engineer (can't find it now), and it basically said that during testing they decided to add the zero as a precaution for some f the issues mentioned but with the new wheels they use now it really isn't necessary and the park could add an additional row of seats if they want.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:17 pm

I just wish the second half of Alpengeist could live up to the first half! The MCBR really stops the powerhouse-through-everything pacing that the first four inversions have.
Last Ride: Space Mountain: Mission 2 (DLP)
Next Ride: Intimidator 305 (KD)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:38 pm

swiver wrote:
Skycoastin Steve wrote:^^I was under the impression that Alpengeist has a zero car because it wasn't completing the course in early test runs. The zero car added 1,000 pounds to the train to prevent that from happening anymore. I'm fairly certain they told us that during the TPR day at BGW last year.

Hmm, that makes sense. I don't really feel that it goes slow during many parts of the ride other than the end, but it does make more sense than what I said I guess.

And no, I don't have a source for that information I posted, haha. I was just told that the zero car helped to control the train more when it is traveling at high speeds, which is why they are also on the B&M hypers.

From a post on a Busch Gardens Williamsburg Blog site,
Busch Gardens Blog Post

"However, engineers did have one issue during the design of Alpengeist; the train was too light to maintain speed and make it back to the station. That is why Alpengeist is one of only two coasters in the world to have a ‘zero car.’ The zero car, located at the front of the train, weighs 1500 lbs. and allows the train to maintain the speed needed to complete the ride circuit."

I Love Donkeys!

Postby vdejarnette » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:05 pm

I remember riding Alpengeist back in '97 when it opened and a few years consecutively after that when the MCBR was not applied. It flew through the zero-g roll and corkscrew, and gave a nice pop of air time on the dive off the MCBR into the photo shack. Having ridden all the major B&M inverts of that era save the ones outside the US (Nemesis, Pyrenees or whatever it's called now) and Top Gun at CGA, I can safely say those were the most intense rides I've ever had on a B&M invert. Take that for what you will.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby WFChris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 pm

I rode Alpengeist back in 1999 and still consider it my favorite B&M invert based on those rides. I had one ride at night in the fog in the front row...I don't think I could ever replicate that memory :)

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 pm

When Alp was new it was much more forceful. The lift brake was not used and the MCBR was very light, here is one of my videos from a while ago that shows footage from 1997 when it ran full speed. The best shots are from 1:08-1:33 showing the unbraked speed of the last half.forgive the video quality shot with my over the shoulder VHS camcorder =)

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 350

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Bizarro/Intimidator 305
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:07 pm

The first half doesn't look much different to me with or without the lift brake, but the second half... I wish we could get it back to what it was then!
Last Ride: Space Mountain: Mission 2 (DLP)
Next Ride: Intimidator 305 (KD)

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Back seat used to be better before that lift brake was applied especially back far left. and the train did not hang and chug on the immelman.

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 350

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Bizarro/Intimidator 305
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!