TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Thinking about haunt mazes and just remembering one of the mazes, I'm assuming there were some exceptions, being Werewolf Canyon since there's a small flight of steps to get up onto the turntable platform. And with the addition of the lift for Logger's run, everyone will be able to enjoy Black Widow's Cavern.

Speaking of Werewolf Canyon, though a bit too early to really discuss hopes and whatnot, I hope this one gets a nice facelift this season as it seemed to be the weakest link to a lot of us. I only visited WWC once last season. While I could have waited in line to visit it more, I felt that my waiting in line could have been done for one of the stronger mazes. Not sure how it was for the GP but I can assume WWC wasn't on their favorites.

^even though WWC is one of the most hilarious ones to listen to when your working orbit.

Scarer: *crazy laughter*

Girls: "no no no"

Scarer: "yes yes *pulls chain saw and revs it up*crazy laughter*"

Girls: "*scream*"

And me? I start cracking up at this point. lol. It's what makes orbit bearable during haunt.

Thinking about haunt mazes and just remembering one of the mazes, I'm assuming there were some exceptions, being Werewolf Canyon since there's a small flight of steps to get up onto the turntable platform. And with the addition of the lift for Logger's run, everyone will be able to enjoy Black Widow's Cavern.

Speaking of Werewolf Canyon, though a bit too early to really discuss hopes and whatnot, I hope this one gets a nice facelift this season as it seemed to be the weakest link to a lot of us. I only visited WWC once last season. While I could have waited in line to visit it more, I felt that my waiting in line could have been done for one of the stronger mazes. Not sure how it was for the GP but I can assume WWC wasn't on their favorites.

Like I said, every maze that does not have wheelchair access via the main entrance always has a side way in

Thought I would put this up

Was driving by the park yesterday afternoon and happened to see flight deck testing with both trains so i stopped by to snap a photo. Good to see park is getting ready for the start of the season.

432212_10151339536605332_883265331_22967015_607662086_n.jpg.f4fc0213030d099831dda3810908edae.jpg

flight deck testing

That's awesome! Just a bit ago the coaster was being painted. Time flies!

On a random bit of news (well, sort of), something caught my attention earlier when I saw a post on CGA's wall about 2012 to get your last rides in on Vortex from a CGA 'fan.' They posted a link to the map/overview of the GCI coaster, thinking that the lift and everything was to be over by Vortex's station, with the coaster stretching back to the Invertigarden. After a quick response from me (pointing out that it isn't Vortex's location/area on that map), I notice the post was gone. I'm glad it didn't get too far (as far as the GP getting a hold of it and fueling the rumor/mistaken reading on that map. That would be a huge headache for the park to have to hear.

Speaking of which, architectural committee meeting in a couple days. I'm not sure if we will actually hear any news/results about it or see any of the minutes from it or not but I'm anxious to see if we'll see anymore news or not in the coming days. Yes, it's pretty bad when you have that March 7th date memorized.

On a random bit of news (well, sort of), something caught my attention earlier when I saw a post on CGA's wall about 2012 to get your last rides in on Vortex from a CGA 'fan.' They posted a link to the map/overview of the GCI coaster, thinking that the lift and everything was to be over by Vortex's station, with the coaster stretching back to the Invertigarden. After a quick response from me (pointing out that it isn't Vortex's location/area on that map), I notice the post was gone. I'm glad it didn't get too far (as far as the GP getting a hold of it and fueling the rumor/mistaken reading on that map. That would be a huge headache for the park to have to hear.

Speaking of which, architectural committee meeting in a couple days. I'm not sure if we will actually hear any news/results about it or see any of the minutes from it or not but I'm anxious to see if we'll see anymore news or not in the coming days. Yes, it's pretty bad when you have that March 7th date memorized.

Well, I really never enjoyed Vortex, though I think the original location is MUCH better. I don't know about getting your last rides on Vortex, it's like getting your last rides on Manhattan Express. Not something you really want to do.

After looking at that map, I could somewhat see (if you weren't reading the items on the map) where one could think of a Vortex removal. If you just look at the theater building, the "pond stays?" just a little bit behind it, etc. it could easily be confused with the GA theater, and the bridge going over the pond heading toward Demon/Invertigarden. But the map doesn't show that.

Would be nice to see some of the newer generation standup trains for Vortex in the near future. Not sure if it would run any better than the existing trains it currently has however. I also wish that saddle thing wasn't so square and hard...something more rounded and peanut-shaped (like a unicycle saddle) would have been more comfy and secure at the same time.

Well, I really never enjoyed Vortex, though I think the original location is MUCH better. I don't know about getting your last rides on Vortex, it's like getting your last rides on Manhattan Express. Not something you really want to do.

Even If Superman is Closed (WILL BE) At Least I'll have a Claim with Vortex

This years off season seems to be just flying by! It good to see the rides being tested as there is only 20 more days until the park opens for the season.

Ha, I keep forgetting we're now in the month that many (sadly not all) parks open up.

Hope all goes well for the GCI in the meetings!

Would be nice to see some of the newer generation standup trains for Vortex in the near future. Not sure if it would run any better than the existing trains it currently has however. I also wish that saddle thing wasn't so square and hard...something more rounded and peanut-shaped (like a unicycle saddle) would have been more comfy and secure at the same time.

Yes! I totally agree. I always get upset with Vortex because it looks like a really nice coaster, though when riding it, it's the worst coaster in Northern California. Well, the restraints on Vortex aren't the originals. They used to be the U-shaped restraints, now they're the V-shaped restraints.

Also, I think Vortex would look really nice if it was a red track with grey supports, like the Vortex in Carowinds.

just got this e-mail from the park....

For 2012, the Park introduces four new shows including Charlie Brown's Jungle Adventure, The Magic Hat, Spin, and the new summer ice spectacular Happiness Is...Snoopy! Also, Snoopy and his friends return for Peanuts Party in the Plaza. Click here for details. Great America opens for the 2012 Season on Sunday, March 25th.

California's Great America also has a great Season Pass offer for 2012. Get a season of fun for the price of 1 day! Pay one full price admission and get the entire season for free. That's just $55.99 for Adults and $35.99 for Juniors & Seniors! Or, use the Easy Pay plan and get an Adult Season Pass for as low as 3 payments of $19.99 each.* Click here to purchase your pass today.

Special Pre-Sale: Big Time Rush at Shoreline Amphitheater

Big Time Rush is coming to Shoreline on July 22nd. As a Park Insider, you can enjoy a special ticket pre-sale event this Friday, March 9th, from 10am-10pm. Click here and enter the password "Snoopy".

That's all fine except I will be nowhere near the park when BTR is there....NO FRIKIN' WAY!!!

Cool, sounds like some progress...while it's not much (especially not knowing how things went), it's got to start somewhere. It also looks like notices were mailed out to residents within a 300-foot radius of the park yesterday. I'm curious as to what the notices read. And I'm curious on the meeting agenda and notes, wondering if those ever get posted online.

Random note: We're almost 2 weeks away from opening day! Who's planning on going opening day here anyway? I know I am, just need to get my gold pass renewed. Looking forward to the 2012 season despite the lack of new ride.

Random note: We're almost 2 weeks away from opening day! Who's planning on going opening day here anyway? I know I am, just need to get my gold pass renewed. Looking forward to the 2012 season despite the lack of new ride.

If i'm not working that day, I'll more than likely be there.