California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg.932 - Coverage of CGA's Haunt Media Event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A village is missing its IDIOT!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby XYZ » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Angry_Gumball wrote:That's awesome! Just a bit ago the coaster was being painted. Time flies!

On a random bit of news (well, sort of), something caught my attention earlier when I saw a post on CGA's wall about 2012 to get your last rides in on Vortex from a CGA 'fan.' They posted a link to the map/overview of the GCI coaster, thinking that the lift and everything was to be over by Vortex's station, with the coaster stretching back to the Invertigarden. After a quick response from me (pointing out that it isn't Vortex's location/area on that map), I notice the post was gone. I'm glad it didn't get too far (as far as the GP getting a hold of it and fueling the rumor/mistaken reading on that map. That would be a huge headache for the park to have to hear.

Speaking of which, architectural committee meeting in a couple days. I'm not sure if we will actually hear any news/results about it or see any of the minutes from it or not but I'm anxious to see if we'll see anymore news or not in the coming days. Yes, it's pretty bad when you have that March 7th date memorized.

Well, I really never enjoyed Vortex, though I think the original location is MUCH better. I don't know about getting your last rides on Vortex, it's like getting your last rides on Manhattan Express. Not something you really want to do. :?r
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 pm

After looking at that map, I could somewhat see (if you weren't reading the items on the map) where one could think of a Vortex removal. If you just look at the theater building, the "pond stays?" just a little bit behind it, etc. it could easily be confused with the GA theater, and the bridge going over the pond heading toward Demon/Invertigarden. But the map doesn't show that.

Would be nice to see some of the newer generation standup trains for Vortex in the near future. Not sure if it would run any better than the existing trains it currently has however. I also wish that saddle thing wasn't so square and hard...something more rounded and peanut-shaped (like a unicycle saddle) would have been more comfy and secure at the same time.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm

XYZ wrote:
Angry_Gumball wrote:That's awesome! Just a bit ago the coaster was being painted. Time flies!

On a random bit of news (well, sort of), something caught my attention earlier when I saw a post on CGA's wall about 2012 to get your last rides in on Vortex from a CGA 'fan.' They posted a link to the map/overview of the GCI coaster, thinking that the lift and everything was to be over by Vortex's station, with the coaster stretching back to the Invertigarden. After a quick response from me (pointing out that it isn't Vortex's location/area on that map), I notice the post was gone. I'm glad it didn't get too far (as far as the GP getting a hold of it and fueling the rumor/mistaken reading on that map. That would be a huge headache for the park to have to hear.

Speaking of which, architectural committee meeting in a couple days. I'm not sure if we will actually hear any news/results about it or see any of the minutes from it or not but I'm anxious to see if we'll see anymore news or not in the coming days. Yes, it's pretty bad when you have that March 7th date memorized.

Well, I really never enjoyed Vortex, though I think the original location is MUCH better. I don't know about getting your last rides on Vortex, it's like getting your last rides on Manhattan Express. Not something you really want to do. :?r

Even If Superman is Closed (WILL BE) At Least I'll have a Claim with Vortex

Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

robman wrote:This years off season seems to be just flying by! It good to see the rides being tested as there is only 20 more days until the park opens for the season.

Ha, I keep forgetting we're now in the month that many (sadly not all) parks open up. :p

Hope all goes well for the GCI in the meetings!

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 am

Angry_Gumball wrote:Would be nice to see some of the newer generation standup trains for Vortex in the near future. Not sure if it would run any better than the existing trains it currently has however. I also wish that saddle thing wasn't so square and hard...something more rounded and peanut-shaped (like a unicycle saddle) would have been more comfy and secure at the same time.

Yes! I totally agree. I always get upset with Vortex because it looks like a really nice coaster, though when riding it, it's the worst coaster in Northern California. Well, the restraints on Vortex aren't the originals. They used to be the U-shaped restraints, now they're the V-shaped restraints.

Also, I think Vortex would look really nice if it was a red track with grey supports, like the Vortex in Carowinds.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Postby Tmcdllr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

just got this e-mail from the park....

For 2012, the Park introduces four new shows including Charlie Brown's Jungle Adventure, The Magic Hat, Spin, and the new summer ice spectacular Happiness Is...Snoopy! Also, Snoopy and his friends return for Peanuts Party in the Plaza. Click here for details. Great America opens for the 2012 Season on Sunday, March 25th.

California's Great America also has a great Season Pass offer for 2012. Get a season of fun for the price of 1 day! Pay one full price admission and get the entire season for free. That's just $55.99 for Adults and $35.99 for Juniors & Seniors! Or, use the Easy Pay plan and get an Adult Season Pass for as low as 3 payments of $19.99 each.* Click here to purchase your pass today.

Special Pre-Sale: Big Time Rush at Shoreline Amphitheater
Big Time Rush is coming to Shoreline on July 22nd. As a Park Insider, you can enjoy a special ticket pre-sale event this Friday, March 9th, from 10am-10pm. Click here and enter the password "Snoopy".

That's all fine except I will be nowhere near the park when BTR is there....NO FRIKIN' WAY!!!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby CGA_88 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Um, BTR will be performing at Shorline Amphitheater which is in Mountain View, not the park's Redwood Amphitheater.

Postby Tmcdllr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Thank god for that!

Full Fledged Great America Enthusiast!

Postby Sunfire » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:23 am

Yeah, I would not want to be working as a supervisor if Big Time Rush were in the park. We already get enough of the teen crowd during school days and cheerleading competitions.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby invisibleinthedark » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:26 pm

http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=PLN2012-09049

Meeting assigned on the 3/28/2012...just for anyone who is wondering about the coaster.
California's Great America
CGA Haunt 2008-2013

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!